7 replies to this topic

#1 traceyl

traceyl

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:06 AM

Just wondering how everyone's kids did the first week of school?

My oldest daughter is a 2nd grader at Gold Ridge. (Youngest is at Phoenix in Broadstone.) She LOVES her teacher, which is a bonus. She's still at that age where she's excited to go to school. Homework started on the first day as well as the 20-minutes of reading per day.... back to the ol' grind. She also started a new afterschool program. She goes over to the Broadstone Racquetclub Kids Club for a couple hours (free w/ our membership). She really loves it and it keeps her very active.

How's everyone else holding up??

#2 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:00 PM

My older daughter started 1st grade and my younger daughter started kindergarten. I shed quite a few tears the first day when I took my youngest to kindergarten (of course, I tried to hide them).

Both of my girls are cautious and have not passed judgment on their classes yet. Every day this week, they both have come home WIPED OUT by their new schedules (no more sleeping until 8:15 a.m.!)

I am also feeling the stress of a new school year. I am anxious to see that my 1st grader will enjoy school, rather than find it a drudgery. As for my kindergartener, she is a late birthday (Nov. 25) and she also has a genetic condition that has left her with wispy, short baby hair even at 4 1/2 years old. So, I am very anxious about how she will fare in kindergarten both socially and, as the class moves into reading later in the year, academically. (Right now, her teacher tells me that she "fits right in.").

Sigh. I think a mother's job is always to find something to worry about. --I can't believe that it's my kids who are starting school and I'm the one who's a basket case!

#3 s0479

s0479

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:24 PM

My daughter started 4th grade at Gallardo and loves it so far. She had really been looking forward to school starting. They have had reading homework since the first day and math homework the last two days. Went to back to school night last night and I really like her teacher. Hoping for a great year!!

#4 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(s0479 @ Aug 18 2005, 12:24 PM)
My daughter started 4th grade at Gallardo and loves it so far.  She had really been looking forward to school starting.  They have had reading homework since the first day and math homework the last two days.  Went to back to school night last night and I really like her teacher.  Hoping for a great year!!

View Post

Is there just one fourth grade class? How many students per class at Gallardo?
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#5 s0479

s0479

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(tgianco @ Aug 18 2005, 01:50 PM)
Is there just one fourth grade class? How many students per class at Gallardo?

View Post

No there are three full classes plus a split 4th/5th. Starting at 4th grade (for state guidelines I believe) class size increases to 30+ (unfortunately, though my daughter hasn't really commented on the increase in the number of students in her class, other than not remembering all their names)

#6 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 18 August 2005 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(s0479 @ Aug 18 2005, 01:58 PM)
No there are three full classes plus a split 4th/5th.  Starting at 4th grade (for state guidelines I believe) class size increases to 30+ (unfortunately, though my daughter hasn't really commented on the increase in the number of students in her class, other than not remembering all their names)

View Post

Wow! That's a good size school. Has it been a good experience (Gallardo) thus far?
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#7 s0479

s0479

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE(tgianco @ Aug 18 2005, 02:03 PM)
Wow! That's a good size school. Has it been a good experience (Gallardo) thus far?

View Post

Yes it has been a very good experience. My daughter was at Phoenix from 2 years old thru 1st grade and while she got a good education.....I don't think they handled working with kids that were not "cookie cutter" kids. Mine was going thru some things and could be challenging at times (though overall a good student) and I never felt they really tried to work with her and I. They wanted the easy road and our $$$.

I was pleased when Gallardo opened and had heard from parents and teachers that the teachers at Gallardo were pretty much hand picked and were great. So far it has gotten better each year. I feel they try and challenge the students who excell and work with those that need extra help.

#8 Folsom voter

Folsom voter

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE(s0479 @ Aug 18 2005, 03:10 PM)
Yes it has been a very good experience.  My daughter was at Phoenix from 2 years old thru 1st grade and while she got a good education.....I don't think they  handled working with kids that were not "cookie cutter" kids.  Mine was going thru some things and could be challenging at times (though overall a good student) and I never felt they really tried to work with her and I.  They wanted the easy road and our $$$.

I was pleased when Gallardo opened and had heard from parents and teachers that the teachers at Gallardo were pretty much hand picked and were great.  So far it has gotten better each year.  I feel they try and challenge the students who excell and work with those that need extra help.

View Post

I'm glad to hear good things about Gallardo. My son just started 4th grade there also, and likes it so far. He was in Phoenix through 2nd grade and went to Gold Ridge last year because Gallardo was full.
This year they told us Gold Ridge was full, but Gallardo had room. I was worried about switching schools again, but was reassured when I met the teacher at back to school night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users