#16 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE(Erika @ Aug 24 2005, 10:16 AM)
My parent's never had sweets in the house and I have a huge sweet tooth.  I rarely had access to candy, cookies, regular soda, and even sugar and now I can go through tons of candy and sweets.  Not so much during pregnancy though.  Everything in moderation! biggrin.gif

View Post

Most of the kids at Starbucks are drinking a cocoa or a non-caffeinated beverage.... neener.gif
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#17 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:53 AM

If you let your children drink anything except water, they will turn into horrible, mutated, leprechaun people and will be banished from the land, and will spend their entire lives in a fruitless pursuit for a pot of gold.

#18 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:30 PM

I did not start to drink coffee until I started college. Nowaday, I am kinda addicted to it. I would assume it will do the same to the kiddies - get them addicted.

For my kiddies, it will be all healthy drinks and foods.

#19 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:31 PM

Well, my daughter works at a Starbucks store, and while it is true that many parents get their kids drinks without caffeine, many get their kids drinks with cffeine.

The coffee/soda comparison is a good one. Some frown at coffee drinks, while allowing their children to drink several caffeinated sodas a day.

I've never heard about caffeine stunting your growth. However, my doctor said caffeine can exponentially increase the rate of growth of a tumor if you get one. It's not that caffeine causes tumors, but should you get one, it will accelerate its growth.

Children are hyper enough without caffeine.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#20 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:53 PM

I don't like coffee, my husband does. My daughter loves it so every once and awhile we let her have a spoonfull. Then she trys to sneak it behind our backs and ends up spilling it all over herself. My husband has now learned to keep it off the table so she can't get it.

#21 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:17 PM

That's so true rlady. I have a close friend who fed his 3 young kids, aged 3 to 5, exclusively soda. I was shocked!!!! In addition to the caffeine that already do the damages, you also have the sugar. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Aug 24 2005, 12:31 PM)
The coffee/soda comparison is a good one. Some frown at coffee drinks, while allowing their children to drink several caffeinated sodas a day.

View Post

#22 nhardy

nhardy

MyFolsom's 12th Round Pick

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:19 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Aug 24 2005, 10:08 AM)
it'll make 'em way too hyper

View Post

Nothin' a lil hit off the old whiskey bottle won't fix tongue.gif
To all you Freaks, don't stop the rock....

#23 3heningers

3heningers

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:25 AM

My Dad used to make us "kids coffee" on the weekends. A splash of coffee with lots of milk and a little sugar. We thought we were pretty cool! I dont remember drinking a lot of soda. When we are out with my two year old i always let him have the lemonade out of the fountain (half lemonade and half water). He thinks he is cool. That is the reason kids want these things, it makes them feel grown up. Just start early tricking them into thinking they are getting a treat smile.gif

#24 uberman

uberman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • Interests:All things related to nothing.

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:20 AM

I found a pretty interesting article about caffeine/coffee, and caffeine loaded drinks:

http://kidshealth.or...n/caffeine.html

It's a drug..

Carbohydrates are the best way to start the morning, do this by eating 3-4 different types of fruits, I eat for breakfast: 1 Apple, 1 banana, 1 orange, and honeymelon. 1 Cup of 2% milk.

Get your kids to start the habit of eating breakfast EVERY morning, breakfast is the only meal of the day worth eating, it establishes your appetite and jumpstarts your metabolism. If you don't eat breakfast daily, you'll be leading your child down a path of obesity.

Caffeine does not stunt your growth...
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” - Sinclair Lewis

#25 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:39 PM

When the Ink Spots sang "I love the java jive and it loves me" in 1940, they could not have known how right they were. Coffee not only helps clear the mind and perk up the energy, it also provides more healthful antioxidants than any other food or beverage in the American diet, according to a study released Sunday.

Of course, too much coffee can make people jittery and even raise cholesterol levels, so food experts stress moderation.

The findings by Joe A. Vinson, a chemistry professor at the University of Scranton, in Pennsylvania, give a healthy boost to the warming beverage.

"The point is, people are getting the most antioxidants from beverages, as opposed to what you might think," Vinson said in a telephone interview.

Antioxidants, which are thought to help battle cancer and provide other health benefits, are abundant in grains, tomatoes and many other fruits and vegetables.

Vinson said he was researching tea and cocoa and other foods and decided to study coffee, too.

His team analyzed the antioxidant content of more than 100 different food items, including vegetables, fruits, nuts, spices, oils and common beverages. They then used Agriculture Department data on typical food consumption patterns to calculate how much antioxidant each food contributes to a person's diet.

They concluded that the average adult consumes 1,299 milligrams of antioxidants daily from coffee. The closest competitor was tea at 294 milligrams. Rounding out the top five sources were bananas, 76 milligrams; dry beans, 72 milligrams; and corn, 48 milligrams. According to the Agriculture Department, the typical adult American drinks 1.64 cups of coffee daily.

That does not mean coffee is a substitute for fruit and vegetables.

http://news.yahoo.co...t_health_coffee

#26 uberman

uberman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • Interests:All things related to nothing.

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:38 AM

It may provide a boatload of anti-oxidants, but that's about it, coffee consists mostly of empty calories, calories in which you gain no nutritional value.

“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” - Sinclair Lewis

#27 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 29 August 2005 - 01:07 PM

Perhaps Frank Sinatra said it best:

Way down among Brazilians
Coffee beans grow by the billions
So they've got to find those extra cups to fill.
Man they got a lot of coffee in Brazil.

Actually, since last week I've cut back to just two cups a day.

Withdrawal symptoms include quoting Frank Sinatra lyrics, but other than that I'm doing .... just.....fine
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users