4 replies to this topic

#1 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:23 PM

The kitchen has long been touted as the heart of the home but recent studies show that consistent family dinners offer more than nourishment. A recent study released by the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA) at Columbia University found that the more often children have dinner with their parents, the less likely they are to smoke, drink or use illegal drugs.

"It is vital that frequent family dinners become a permanent fixture for children, not only when they are young, but throughout their teenage years," said Dr. Wade F. Horn, assistant secretary for Children and Families at the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services. "The frequency of family dinners decreases significantly as children enter and go through high school -- and that's just when the benefits of family dinners may be needed most."

Teens Who Dine, Shine

Eating meals together is one aspect of family life that has been demonstrated to benefit children, and the time spent around the dinner table fosters security and trust. Rituals and togetherness has long been touted as a forceful factor behind healthy youth development. A 1999 study by RL Tepper, found that young people whose families routinely ate meals together spent more time on homework and reading for pleasure.

Using information like this as a cornerstone, former President Bush, former First Lady Barbara Bush and CASA board member Jamie Lee Curtis are getting the message in front of the American public. President Bush is citing a Family Day to help promote parental engagement as a simple and effective way to raise healthier children.

Teens who have dinner with their families five or more nights in a week are:

* 32 percent less likely to try cigarettes

* 45 percent less likely to try alcohol

* 24 percent less likely to smoke pot

* Twice as likely to receive A's in school compared to teens that have dinner with their families two or fewer times a week.

#2 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:54 PM

I find it interesting that researchers and the government tout the benefits of family dinners, yet school districts and athletic organizations conspire to derail them.

Most sports activities for youngsters now take place during the dinner hour (i.e., between 5 pm and 8 pm) rather than after school. I know various families whose children do soccer, baseball, and cheerleading, and they all seem to miss family dinner multiple times a week running their kids to various practices and games.

I realize there is a trade-off here: the "dinner hour" scheduling of these activities enables children with 2 working parents to participate, and it enables working Dads to see the practices and/or games.

Still, we can't have it both ways. ...Unless, by "family dinner," they mean the whole family meets at McDonalds after all the kids' soccer or baseball practices...

#3 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:56 PM

Sounds like a classic example of correlation, not causality.

But I agree that sitting down with your family and sharing a meal is a good time to talk and share about things.

#4 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:20 AM

As kids we had to wait for dinner until everyone was home. We knew to be home by the dinner hour. My older brother sometimes came home late, and the whole family had to wait for him so that we could all eat dinner together.

#5 benning

benning

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ Sep 6 2005, 07:54 PM)
I find it interesting that researchers and the government tout the benefits of family dinners, yet school districts and athletic organizations conspire to derail them. 

Most sports activities for youngsters now take place during the dinner hour (i.e., between 5 pm and 8 pm) rather than after school.  I know various families whose children do soccer, baseball, and cheerleading, and they all seem to miss family dinner multiple times a week running their kids to various practices and games. 

I realize there is a trade-off here:  the "dinner hour" scheduling of these activities enables children with 2 working parents to participate, and it enables working Dads to see the practices and/or games. 

Still, we can't have it both ways.  ...Unless, by "family dinner," they mean the whole family meets at McDonalds after all the kids' soccer or baseball practices...

View Post

I'm sure you're right -- this has to do with the increase of two-income families. Ah for the good old days when we all could live in a 3 bedroom 1200 s f house, drive a Toyota corolla, practice sports between 3 and 4:30 and be home for that yummy meatloaf or fried chicken, eaten together as a family. Still had time for a game of kick the can after dinner. And we wonder why we're so stressed out today...

Ok I know I'll get the 'my mom was on valium half the time since she was so bored out of her gord responses' -- I'm sure they're true but I still miss the seemingly slower pace of that time.

"L'essential est invisible pour les yeux."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users