28 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:51 AM

I was driving back from San Jose yesterday evening, so I figured why not tune into KFBK and listend to what Obama had to say. Well, he talks a good talk, but I wonder if/when he will deliver.

I was dissappointed that he felt he had to thrice bash the previous adminstration. For me, that added no value.

However, I was pleasantly surprised to hear him say we need to build nuclear reactors and drill offshore for oil. I hope he really meant it on those two topics, because that is exactly what we need to do so we can break our dependence upon foreign oil.
I would rather be Backpacking

#2 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jan 28 2010, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, I was pleasantly surprised to hear him say we need to build nuclear reactors and drill offshore for oil. I hope he really meant it on those two topics, because that is exactly what we need to do so we can break our dependence upon foreign oil.

Obama came out for nuclear power and offshore drilling?

Hee hee, then it's going to be fun watching all the Republicans turn against those things!

#3 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

I was disappointed in his tone towards the REPS, then turning around and preaching about working together.

If one truly wants to work together, then why would you attack the other side first? I don't understand that strategy at all.

I was even more surprised when he criticized the Supreme Court ruling about campaign contributions, then the DEMS stood and applauded. I can't ever recall seeing that before in a State of the Union Speech by a President of either party.

I too was pleasantly surprised to hear him talk about developing nuclear power and offshore drilling.

I do admire the fact that he seemed to be convinced in his principles and that he had the right solutions to our problems. I guess time will prove this approach right or wrong.

All in all I didn't think this was one of his better speeches.

#4 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (Robert Giacometti @ Jan 28 2010, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was disappointed in his tone towards the REPS, then turning around and preaching about working together.

If one truly wants to work together, then why would you attack the other side first? I don't understand that strategy at all.

I was even more surprised when he criticized the Supreme Court ruling about campaign contributions, then the DEMS stood and applauded. I can't ever recall seeing that before in a State of the Union Speech by a President of either party.
I too was pleasantly surprised to hear him talk about developing nuclear power and offshore drilling.

I do admire the fact that he seemed to be convinced in his principles and that he had the right solutions to our problems. I guess time will prove this approach right or wrong.

All in all I didn't think this was one of his better speeches.

Yes, that one surprised me as well. And while I agree, I think it was a bad decision on SCOTUS's part, I'm surprised a politician would agree with me, but I also fear what Congress will come up with to try and defeat it, me thinks their medicine might be worse than the illness.

#5 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (bordercolliefan @ Jan 28 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Obama came out for nuclear power and offshore drilling?

Hee hee, then it's going to be fun watching all the Republicans turn against those things!

How about all of the "No Nuclear Reactor or Drill for Oil Democrats" that now either openly defy the Democrat President or have to flip-flop on their stance.

It goes both ways ya know.

#6 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:41 PM

When someone says they will do something and then fails to deliver, I turn off and pay no further attention to them. We've seen a year of broken promises from Obama, to the point his own followers have stepped back from supporting him.

I think the health care agenda he pushed so hard was enough to make them think twice. I mean, come on, pay for health care insurance or go to jail or pay a $5,000 dollar fine?????

Obama says one thing, and then does another.....and he stills wants cap and trade. He hasn't seen the light, he just feels we need to understand what he says better. Well, I understand and I STILL don't agree.

Plan to get more of what we've gotten during the the past year...we are in big, big trouble.

#7 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jan 28 2010, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about all of the "No Nuclear Reactor or Drill for Oil Democrats" that now either openly defy the Democrat President or have to flip-flop on their stance.

It goes both ways ya know.

True, they will defy him, I think.

Defiance has more integrity than resisting just because you don't want the Democratic president to have any success.

#8 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (bordercolliefan @ Jan 28 2010, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True, they will defy him, I think.

Defiance has more integrity than resisting just because you don't want the Democratic president to have any success.

I'm confused, why would Democrat politicians want their Democrat President to fail?

#9 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jan 28 2010, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm confused, why would Democrat politicians want their Democrat President to fail?

Because what he wants to do is bad for the country?

Oh....I'm sorry, was that a question meant for a Democrat?

Sorry, my bad....

#10 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jan 28 2010, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I'm saying that for Democrats to defy Obama on the basis of principle has more integrity than for Republicans to block something (that they actually favor) just to make Obama look bad.

#11 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (bordercolliefan @ Jan 28 2010, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, I'm saying that for Democrats to defy Obama on the basis of principle has more integrity than for Republicans to block something (that they actually favor) just to make Obama look bad.

OK, thanks, now I comprendo.

Well, I'm hoping that this is one area where Obama will succeed as we dearly need to become energy independent. Not only is it good for American economics, it's also good for homeland security, and the nuclear reactors are better for the environment than other options. Wind will always be relagated to a small helper supply, it can't be relied upon to be there when you need it.Winds too weak, no energy output. winds too strong, no energy output (the windmills shut down so as to prevent self destruction in high winds).

If the French can have a successful nuclear energy program, there is no reason why the good ole USA can't as well.

#12 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:43 AM

I think that part was mainly for the undecided/independent voters that haven't made up their mind yet on how they will vote this fall.

I listened/watched and it seemed like he was putting on this big show saying "we (the Dems) want to work together and we must work together; but you Reps in Congress don't want to do good for the country. You just want to say no to everything while we want to work with you."

"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#13 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

that bothers me, he doesn't seem to really want to work together.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#14 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (swmr545 @ Jan 29 2010, 03:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I listened/watched and it seemed like he was putting on this big show saying "we (the Dems) want to work together and we must work together; but you Reps in Congress don't want to do good for the country. You just want to say no to everything while we want to work with you."

maybe he should think for a minute why so many of them want to say no to some of his ideas, perhaps they are not what's best for the country as a whole

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#15 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Jan 29 2010, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
maybe he should think for a minute why so many of them want to say no to some of his ideas, perhaps they are not what's best for the country as a whole

Dave, I think Obama feels HE KNOWS what's best for our country and that is what makes so many angry. The arrogance of him thinking he knows more than anybody else, or that he has a right to impose his will on a nation that doesn't want what he wants, is not what this country is about.

I personally think Obama came to office to vindicate his mother's death and the way the insurance company treated her while she was ill. He even mentioned this in one of his speeches in his campaigne. I think it effected him so deeply that he made a promise to himself that he would make them pay by changing the way health care was run in this country.

While I understand his pain, I don't agree with his ideas on how to fix health care. But I do think it needs to be fixed and so do most people in America. And most don't trust the government will run it well if they become a part of it. Just as they haven't ran other social service plans very well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users