Taxpayers Pay $101,000 For Pelosi's In-flight 'food, Booz

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:16 AM

and they wonder why we are so angry about their actions and their desire to spend spend spend

Taxpayers pay $101,000 for Pelosi's in-flight 'food, booze'
Speaker's trips 'are more about partying than anything else'

Part of the tab for alcoholic drinks on a congressional trip arranged by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi

It reads like a dream order for a wild frat party: Maker's Mark whiskey, Courvoisier cognac, Johnny Walker Red scotch, Grey Goose vodka, E&J brandy, Bailey's Irish Crème, Bacardi Light rum, Jim Beam whiskey, Beefeater gin, Dewars scotch, Bombay Sapphire gin, Jack Daniels whiskey … and Corona beer.

But that single receipt makes up just part of the more than $101,000 taxpayers paid for "in-flight services" – including food and liquor, for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's trips on Air Force jets over the last two years. That's almost $1,000 per week.

Fed up with the condescending clowns in Congress? Send them a "pink slip!"

Documents obtained under the Freedom of Information Act by Judicial Watch, which investigates and prosecutes government corruption, show Pelosi incurred expenses of some $2.1 million for her use of Air Force jets for travel over that time.

"Speaker Pelosi has a history of wasting taxpayer funds with her boorish demands for military travel," Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said today. "And these documents suggest the Speaker's congressional delegations are more about partying than anything else."

Pelosi, D-Calif., recently joined President Obama on a Judicial Watch list of Top 10 corrupt politicians because of her "sense of entitlement," the group said.

"Politicians believe laws and rules (even the U.S. Constitution) apply to the rest of us but not to them. Case in point: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her excessive and boorish demands for military travel. Judicial Watch obtained documents from the Pentagon in 2008 that suggest Pelosi has been treating the Air Force like her own personal airline," the evaluation said.

And WND reported almost a year ago that Pelosi was shown to have been erratically canceling and rescheduling flights, as one would with an on-call taxi service.

Do the tone-deaf lawmakers in D.C. make your blood boil? Read all about Washington and its politics of corruption in "Breach of Trust."

"We have ... folks prepping the jets and crews driving in (not a short drive for some), cooking meals and preflighting the jets etc," said one Department of Defense e-mail then.

Another official sent an e-mail questioning a series of Pelosi's requests for aircraft.

"Any chance of politely querying [Pelosi's team] if they really intend to do all of these or are they just picking every weekend?" it stated. "[T]here's no need to block every weekend 'just in case'..."

The e-mail noted that the speaker's office had "a history of canceling many of their past requests."

Yet another e-mail exchange at that time revealed Pelosi's demand that jets pick her up at Travis Air Force Base rather than San Francisco's airport.

"She lives about 1.5 hours from SFO and much closer to Travis. … Whether it is the best use of assets is not the question. But instead is it worth upsetting the speaker. …"

Said another, "This is a battle that we are bound to lose if we tell the speaker('s) office. In the end, this is what will happen. I wish that I could say this is a one-time request, but we know it will probably happen again in the future."

Yet another indicated a deep level of frustration:

"Here is the laydown: there are five G5s. Two are broke. Two off on CODELS. One slated for priority White House… we should keep on G-III for now for Tuesday afternoon and start sacrificing goats and chickens."

Judicial Watch said the newly obtained 2,000 pages of documentation show Pelosi's military travel cost the U.S. Air Force $2,100,744.59 over two years – including $101,429.14 for in-flight expenses, including food and alcohol.

Among the newest highlights revealed:
Pelosi used Air Force aircraft to travel back to her district at an average cost of $28,210.51 per flight. Of 103 Pelosi-led congressional delegations (CODEL), 31 trips included members of the House speaker's family.

One CODEL traveling from Washington, D.C., through Tel Aviv, Israel, to Baghdad, Iraq, May 15-20, 2008, "to discuss matters of mutual concern with government leaders" included members of Congress and their spouses and cost $17,931 per hour in aircraft alone. This flight included the purchase of the long list of alcoholic drinks.

According to a "Memo for Record" from a March 29-April 7, 2007, CODEL that involved a stop in Israel, "CODEL could only bring kosher items into the hotel. Kosher alcohol for mixing beverages in the delegation room was purchased on the local economy i.e. bourbon, whiskey, scotch, vodka, gin, triple sec, tequila, etc.

Pelosi's office could not be reached for comment. The answering machine said the office would be closed until Monday, and the mailbox was full, so no messages could be left.

#2 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:16 PM

Pelosi is # 3 in line for the Presidency----like it or not!

How much do the President (#1) and the Vice President (#2) cost for travel? I think you have to take this in total context. I don't like Nancy Pelosi either but I suspect that her costs are a small fraction of what we pay for Air Force 1 and the other costs for the President and VP.

#3 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:21 PM

I'm confused -- is this a bill for in-flight service? It looks more like a grocery list or supply list for a house party. How many people were on that plane?!

#4 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (folsombound @ Jan 29 2010, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How much do the President (#1) and the Vice President (#2) cost for travel? I think you have to take this in total context. I don't like Nancy Pelosi either but I suspect that her costs are a small fraction of what we pay for Air Force 1 and the other costs for the President and VP.

It scares the hell out of me that she's #3 in line, she is completely out of touch with Americans, she thinks she's the queen

All of them should be cutting costs, not living it up partying at our expense!

#5 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (cw68 @ Jan 29 2010, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm confused -- is this a bill for in-flight service? It looks more like a grocery list or supply list for a house party. How many people were on that plane?!

It does indeed look like a supply list for a house party, it appears that's the grocery list that Pelosi has the Air Force staff go obtain before her party flights with her family and friends

Those politicians sure know how to live it up at our expense!

This is ridiculous

#6 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:31 PM

There should be a law against providing anybody in office alcoholic beverages at the tax payers expense....at ANY function.

That is the only way this sort of spending will be prevented. Also, exotic foods not in the normal America diet should not be allowed. It's not something that should come with the territory when one gets into politics/office.

Roast beef, less expensive fish and chicken should be on the menus of these parties, not lobster, caviar and other dishes served frequently to the rich. If they want that, they should pay for it themselves.....just like the rest of us.

Pelosi DOES think she is a queen in that she, like Obama, wants to tell the American people what is good for them and what she'll do for them, if they like it or not.

Frankly, I think the woman has a mental problem.....big time!

#7 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

I'm still thinking, though, that this isn't 100% fact. While I'm no big fan of Pelosi it reminds me of the big stink people made when she wanted a plane that could fly from SF to DC without having to refuel. The spin-miesters went crazy on that one.

First, methinks that the Air Force would buy liquor at the PX. Second, there's no proof that receipt is hers.

#8 FolsomVW

FolsomVW

Veteran

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:13 AM

Yes, the Speaker of the House is afforded such flights. I remember the uproar by similar people just after she became speaker, that said she supposedly demanded a 757 or something like that to ferry her and her staff between D.C. and SF, her home district. It turned out the the guy in charge of such things in Congress, who thought it might be required in order to make the x-country flight, for some reason. Turns out she's using what her Republican predecessor used.

The article listed above speaks of the Speaker's demanding this, and demanding that. I have a hard time believing that any of it is true, considering the former false claims made by these same groups.

What is up with these claims? If people don't like her for her policies, why make up this other stuff to try to raise anger among others? I don't get it.

#9 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (FolsomVW @ Feb 8 2010, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is up with these claims? If people don't like her for her policies, why make up this other stuff to try to raise anger among others? I don't get it.

my guess is that everyone is tired of politicians spending insane amounts of money instead of doing anything to cut back - this applies to ALL parties

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#10 FolsomVW

FolsomVW

Veteran

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Feb 8 2010, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my guess is that everyone is tired of politicians spending insane amounts of money instead of doing anything to cut back - this applies to ALL parties

With revenues so far down, the cutting of spending will hurt the already fragile economy. They could cut back on backstopping state unemployment rolls, but then a lot of Californians will further burden the local welfare programs. And we all know where the state's finances lie. I believe most economists agree that unemployment would be a heck of a lot worse if it weren't for the stimulus, which accounts for President Obama's portion of current budget deficits.

I think that people don't understand what it takes to pull our economy out of recession. They also don't understand that a very significant portion of the spending in the budget is mandated. Hopefully getting out of Iraq, including our contractors if that ever happens, will go a long way towards reducing this spending.

#11 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

Pitiful... just pitiful...

she's a pompous elitist who thinks it's her right to have this paid for by you and me....the differance...?

you like it... not me...

#12 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (FolsomVW @ Feb 8 2010, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With revenues so far down, the cutting of spending will hurt the already fragile economy. They could cut back on backstopping state unemployment rolls, but then a lot of Californians will further burden the local welfare programs. And we all know where the state's finances lie. I believe most economists agree that unemployment would be a heck of a lot worse if it weren't for the stimulus, which accounts for President Obama's portion of current budget deficits.

I think that people don't understand what it takes to pull our economy out of recession. They also don't understand that a very significant portion of the spending in the budget is mandated. Hopefully getting out of Iraq, including our contractors if that ever happens, will go a long way towards reducing this spending.

Cutting spending will hur the economy...? good god man... look at what they have done the last 12 months and has it helped...?

How about cutting back on unemployment and welfare benifits... I mean just because you made 60k a year on a gig and then lose doesn't mean you have the right to Unemployment benefits until you find a job that pays that or more... which I believe is the law...

what did this country do before all this welfare... have you thought about what this country would be like when you have people who can vote themselves a raise from the pockets of those people that work...? is that what you want...?

Get back to me with something besides these Democrat talking points...

#13 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Feb 8 2010, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Geez Dave... you got the memo... too bad other folks don't get it...

This is why the Tea Party Movement is so strong... we don't want to put up these self serving elitists snobs that think you are too stupid to run your own life... and that because she is like the speaker she gets all these tax payer funded perks for her family as well as her...

makes me sick that there are people on this forum that are too stupid to understand they are being fleeced by these liberal pukes..

but that's me...

At least I know a scum bag when I see one and Pelosi is one...

#14 FolsomVW

FolsomVW

Veteran

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (cw68 @ Jan 29 2010, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm still thinking, though, that this isn't 100% fact. While I'm no big fan of Pelosi it reminds me of the big stink people made when she wanted a plane that could fly from SF to DC without having to refuel. The spin-miesters went crazy on that one.

First, methinks that the Air Force would buy liquor at the PX. Second, there's no proof that receipt is hers.

Good points! I think too many people are so easily riled up without actually checking to see if they are getting accurate information.

QUOTE (EDF @ Feb 8 2010, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cutting spending will hur the economy...? good god man... look at what they have done the last 12 months and has it helped...?

How about cutting back on unemployment and welfare benifits... I mean just because you made 60k a year on a gig and then lose doesn't mean you have the right to Unemployment benefits until you find a job that pays that or more... which I believe is the law...

what did this country do before all this welfare... have you thought about what this country would be like when you have people who can vote themselves a raise from the pockets of those people that work...? is that what you want...?

Get back to me with something besides these Democrat talking points...

Wow, you are a piece of work man.

What gives you the right to 'talk' to me like this?

Yes, it HAS worked. You might notice a major change in direction on this graph. It comes from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

#15 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (FolsomVW @ Feb 9 2010, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good points! I think too many people are so easily riled up without actually checking to see if they are getting accurate information.

Wow, you are a piece of work man.

What gives you the right to 'talk' to me like this?

Yes, it HAS worked. You might notice a major change in direction on this graph. It comes from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Welcome back Folsom Frog Guy (the graph linked to that unmentionable website gave you away)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users