- - - - -

Must Haves

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:12 AM

Since there a quite a few soon to be parents I thought we that are already parents might have some advice to give these first timers on things they have to have for their new baby.

These are just a few things that helped me out alot...

swing
baby saucer
pjs with no feet in the bottom, they look more like a sack.
for summer those out fits with just the one row of snaps to undo

#2 OceanGirl

OceanGirl

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:The ocean, boogie boarding, biking, martial arts, camping, hiking, skiing- pretty much anything outdoors, family, pets

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:17 AM

~If baby is going to be born in winter, one of those over the carseat fleece covers is nice.

~Both of our kids have loved the little bouncer chair that hangs from the door frame.

~A good diaper rash cream

~Lots of diapers and baby wipes- baby wipes are handy for cleaning hands and faces too. (We get ours at Costco......seems to be a pretty good deal)

~A good baby carrier that you wear on your body to carry baby on short walks, around the house, shopping, etc. Allows your hands to be free.

~A good lullaby CD/tape (Target has a good one on their CD kiosk by the greeting cards)
I like to reminisce with people I don't know
~Steven Wright~

http://www.waterfallswest.com

#3 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:56 AM

The little sleep positioner is vital. You can place a sleeping newborn into it so that they won't roll over onto their stomachs. This substantially reduces the risk of SIDS. To us, there is nothing more important.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#4 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:14 PM

- baby walkie talkies (so you can listen to your child while they are in any room)

- the biggest diaper bag you can find that will hold every possible thing you could need for your child while out and about

- lots of baby food and forumla in stock so you don't have to run to the store at 2am

- believe it or not - black and white toys, infants seem to respond better to b/w then they do colors at this early age and it helps develope their eye sight and responsive skills better

Also if your baby is ever colicky (spelling?), having a bad night etc - take him/her for a long drive....I found that really seems to sooth them

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#5 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:36 PM

I never would have thought about this until I just recently needed it...
Infant nasal saline solution...For some reason Dean's nose is always so stuffy and that stuff helps him to be able to sleep at night! It is made by the "Little" brands...Little noses, Little tummys, etc...

Also, have Tylenol on hand at ALL times...you DON'T want to go get it in the middle of the night...

#6 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:45 PM

This is all so helpful. I can't offer any suggestions yet but I'm enjoying the advice.

In the winter do those sleepsacks work well? I think they're made my Halo? They are thick fleece with a zipper. I have a few on our registry and figured with our cold winter nights it will help keep the baby warm without using blankets.

#7 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:04 PM

sleepsacks work excellent in the winter. :-)

#8 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:44 PM

A Crock Pot is another must because when your a new mom sometimes eating is hard to fit in. So if you get up in the morning and throw something easy into the pot you won't have to worry about dinner at all. If anyone wants some recipes I have a few good and easy ones.

#9 OceanGirl

OceanGirl

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:The ocean, boogie boarding, biking, martial arts, camping, hiking, skiing- pretty much anything outdoors, family, pets

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:15 PM

Oh yeah, and Mylicon is a must for those gassy days or nights!!

And infant Motrin (as well as Tylenol)- good for after immunizations, etc.
I like to reminisce with people I don't know
~Steven Wright~

http://www.waterfallswest.com

#10 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:23 PM

I need new cars and new houses biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#11 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:05 PM

Infant pack (one that you can use as a front pack when the baby is little and then can be used as a backpack). This is great for being with baby, but having your hands free to do something else.

Swing. You can bring it to the kitchen, coo coo with baby while you cook, and they love the rocking motion.

Lastly, PLEASE, PLEASE buy socket covers. As soon as baby starts getting around, fingers and whatever objects baby can get ahold of start poking in electric sockets.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#12 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:31 PM

for when the child is a little older and you want to go out to eat with them - travel placemats! They are awesome.
http://www.mommyshop...tinporplac.html

#13 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:04 PM

Desitin -- great for diaper rashes. Avoid using powders.

And if you're looking for an excellent book: Your Baby and Child from Birth to Age Five by Penelope Leach: http://www.amazon.co...=books&n=507846 . I read mine from cover to cover before our daughter was born and then used it so much the book fell apart.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#14 3heningers

3heningers

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:34 AM

I loved the bouncey seat. We had the Ocean Wonders version. I could carry it anywhere in the house and he could chill while I got stuff done. We would put it next to us in the kitchen while we ate our dinner smile.gif ! Also, lots of burp clothes and recieving blankets, those little people can sure make a lot of big messes!

#15 traceyl

traceyl

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:15 PM

All excellent suggestions!!

I'd add a Floppy Seat for use when the baby is beyond an infant car seat. This is one of those 'liners' for the inside of a shopping cart. It's soft and cushy and more importantly CLEAN! You can get them at Babies R Us, but cheaper new off ebay.

Other recommendations...

J&J Head to Toe body wash cloths. I think Huggies has a line of them out too.

Bibsters disposable bibs with the front pocket in them.

Baby Trend Diaper thingy (takes regular trash bags).

Here's another suggestion. Babies out grow their clothes fast. Put a small hamper, storage bin, or other such container in the closet so when an outfit doesn't fit you can just toss it in there rather than putting it back in the drawer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users