21 replies to this topic

#16 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

I use a pumice stone sometimes and it hasn't caused any damage. You do need to make sure the pumice stone is wet before using it to clean the toilet bowl.

will the pumice stone damage the surface of the porcelain? I have this blue hardwater stain too. is it the chlorine in the city water?

#17 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:01 AM

I use the bleach tablets for allmy toilets including the seldom used guest one and they work great. Drop in the tank and forget it. Every once in awhile I'll flush to "reinvirgorate" things. No stains, no damage.

We stopped using them when we got our new toilets as the Manufacturer and the Plumber said they can cause degradation of the flapper and seals and cause leaks.

I just looked it up on Google and here is one of many sites that state such:

http://www.toiletology.com/cleantoilets-automatic.shtml

Posted Image

This article does list an alternative to the in tank tablets...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#18 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:28 AM

We stopped using them when we got our new toilets as the Manufacturer and the Plumber said they can cause degradation of the flapper and seals and cause leaks.

I just looked it up on Google and here is one of many sites that state such:

http://www.toiletology.com/cleantoilets-automatic.shtml

Posted Image

This article does list an alternative to the in tank tablets...

Interesting....I have been using them for years and haven't had a problem...

#19 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

I found the perfect & easiest way to clean my dirty old toilet today. Yeah, I watched the videos and wasn't interested in a long, drawn out process of emptying water out of the bowl. Today, I consulted with a local ACE hardware store. Instead of using pumice, it was recommended to use a fine wire mesh with the toilet cleaner of my choice. The old stains came off easily with very little scrubbing involved. It was awesome, and now they look practically new. I had even been considering buying new toilets. But no need now!! :2thumbsup:

#20 JeanneH

JeanneH

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:21 PM

Behind the toilet is a valve to shut off the water. Clean real well, turn off water. When needed just turn the water back on. I have done this for years in my spare bathrooms.

#21 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:02 AM

My day is now complete.  A 4yr old thread on toilet bowls has been resurrected.  ROFL  :BREAKDANCE:

#22 Oso

Oso

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:58 AM

I used to have a bathroom in my house that was rarely used. The water would frequently evaporate from the toilet, leaving a ring of mineral deposits. I used a pumice stone (on a handle) to quickly remove the stain. I know it sounds counter-intuitive since you'd expect the stone to badly scratch the toilet. The key is to make sure the stone is wet first so that it is softened and doesn't scratch. Once it is wet, just rub the pumice stone it over the mineral line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users