26 replies to this topic

#1 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:48 AM

The National Weather Service is saying it will be 105 degrees by 1 pm and 109 as our high.  that is a long time above 100 degrees.  please protect yourself, your pets and look out for the other guy.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:34 AM

There were so many stressed birds in my yard yesterday looking for water.  They had emptied the bird bath by the time I got home from work, poor little things.  I'm putting out extra today.

#3 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:42 AM

yes, i have lots of water in bowls in shady places for them today.  they are already out and drinking.

#4 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:44 AM

I don't really get any birds in my birdbath. In fact, I get four birds in my yard - two hummingbirds (we've named them Hummus and Wingie) and two scrub jays that I'm pretty sure are the reason why there are no other birds.

Off topic, but how do I get those scrub jays to leave me alone? I won't put out birdseed because I think they'll just dominate it.

#5 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:53 AM

I get plenty of Jays and doves and hummingbirds and finches.  They seem to take shifts at the feeder and bird bath.  There was a bird yesterday that I'm not even sure what it was, but it waited on the fence for me to fill the bath and jumped right in too tired to care I was so close to it.

#6 Deanna H

Deanna H

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:39 AM

I don't really get any birds in my birdbath. In fact, I get four birds in my yard - two hummingbirds (we've named them Hummus and Wingie) and two scrub jays that I'm pretty sure are the reason why there are no other birds.

Off topic, but how do I get those scrub jays to leave me alone? I won't put out birdseed because I think they'll just dominate it.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any getting rid of them. But you can try putting black oil sunflower seeds in a hanging bird feeder that has a cage around it. The smaller birds can get in, but the jays can't.

#7 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:45 AM

I have a nice bird bath in the back yard that I try to keep full. I also  have two large flat plant bases about 18 inches across and two inches high on the ground. I also have a couple smaller ones on the ground.  I try to keep them filled during the day. Sometimes, and I will do it today, I put chunks of ice in them.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#8 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:55 AM

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any getting rid of them.

Wanna bet?...I use one of these with biodegradeable BB's...I'm sure you can buy one at Big 5 or Sports Authority too...I aim low so the BB doesn't go over the fence...the BB ends up in our groundcover, so no problem...the scrub jays don't come around here any more, as the sound scares them off...I hate those birds..

http://www.pyramydai...tinger_P30T/623

#9 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:57 AM

I know that the Blue Jays can be annoying and noisy sometimes, but in my yard they serve a purpose so I don't mind them so much.  They let all the other birds know when a cat has wandered in.

#10 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:03 AM

I love the bluejays in my yard.  They are wonderful!  so lively and full of attitude.  the only birds they seem to tussle with are the western mockingbirds.  You can always tell when one has a nest around because they go at it.  The jays don't in any way keep the other birds out.  I have wrens, hummingbirds, mourning doves, quail, turkey, toheys, sparrows, pretty much everything coming in.  I have never seen the jays bother any of them and they do take their turns.  don't shoot the dang jays.  they aren't hurting anything.

#11 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:05 AM

Just for the record, Western Scrub-Jays are what we have, not Blue Jays. I believe Blue Jays are only found East of the Rockies.

#12 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:09 AM

We refer to them as "Punk Blue jays!"

#13 kfergo

kfergo

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:18 AM

I love the bluejays in my yard.  They are wonderful!  so lively and full of attitude.  the only birds they seem to tussle with are the western mockingbirds.  You can always tell when one has a nest around because they go at it.  The jays don't in any way keep the other birds out.  I have wrens, hummingbirds, mourning doves, quail, turkey, toheys, sparrows, pretty much everything coming in.  I have never seen the jays bother any of them and they do take their turns.  don't shoot the dang jays.  they aren't hurting anything.

Come get ours.

#14 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:26 AM

My yard is large, we have fruit trees and a birdbath (and a dog that doesn't even chase her own tail), and my husband has seen the scrub jays being aggressive to other birds that might try to stop by. I'm not going to shoot them, but I would like them to leave - or share!

#15 Deanna H

Deanna H

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:30 AM

Several years ago I saw a Scrub-Jay kill a Titmouse. I'll spare you the details. I rather lost my appreciation for them after that. They, along with other jays, are also known for raiding bird boxes for the nestlings inside. So, I would be happy if they would go away, but I wouldn't ever kill them.

On-topic, I made sure to fill the bird bath this morning and will throw some ice in later today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users