1 reply to this topic

#1 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 11:26 AM

Does anyone know why Sacramento's downtown has not been fully developed? Where are the skyscrapers? Where are the world-class facilities that such a city deserves? Where is the MLB or NHL team? With a metro population of 2 million, what does the future for the capital city looklike? Any thoughts?

#2 intelkid

intelkid

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 03:28 PM

I think you'll find that downtown Sacramento will be growing very quickly - and soon. The UP railyards have been designated as the next big expansion of the city, however they are in the middle of cleaning it up (contaminated soil, etc). Once the clean up is complete, it will be pretty expansive. I'm sure you are aware that this is where the new Kings arena is being proposed. I have even heard a completely new tourist district, as the Sacramento River may be artifically moved outward so this area would all be riverfront property, with water taxis going up and down the area. I would imagine in 5-10 years, the skyline will really grow, especially since this area is surging.

As for MLB, I wouldn't hold my breath. As long as the A's & Giants are in the Bay Area, I'm not sure this area could support 3 MLB teams in such a small area. Same for football. This is a big reason why the Kings moved here. Hockey may be a different story, though I would envision minor league hockey before anything. The owners of the RiverCats have been discussing bringing a Minor League hockey team to Sacramento, and building an arena for it at Sac State, so Sac State basketball could play there too as well. I would really like to see that!

We'll see what happens!
I believe you have my stapler...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users