#1 jedisupermom

jedisupermom

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:28 AM

Hi

I would like to get the opinion of other parents about "pink Slips" given to a child at school. It used to be that a child would get a pink slip and miss recess if they misbehaved in class. Now a child is given detention if a parent forgets to sign their daily "agenda" or if a child forgets their homework (or incomplete). I can understand if it is an ongoing problem. But, every few weeks if a parent forgets a signature, the child should not be punished for it.

Thanks for your opinions.

#2 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:58 AM

I think homework and schoolwork is a 3-legged chair - equal part responsibility to teacher, parent, and child. Take away one and it is no longer functional. While it's true the child may be getting punished for something you forgot to do... it's also their responsibility to remember to get you to sign it, not yours. Tough love may be needed sometimes. Maybe after a few missed recesses they will make sure you sign it!

#3 jedisupermom

jedisupermom

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

I think homework and schoolwork is a 3-legged chair - equal part responsibility to teacher, parent, and child. Take away one and it is no longer functional. While it's true the child may be getting punished for something you forgot to do... it's also their responsibility to remember to get you to sign it, not yours. Tough love may be needed sometimes. Maybe after a few missed recesses they will make sure you sign it!

Thanks for your feedback. But, it seems like a lot for a second grader.

#4 knittychick

knittychick

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:22 AM

I resent the idea that all children need to have their parents sign the daily agenda. We were very involved in our children’s education and school. Looking back I think we were too involved – we should have stayed out of it a bit and put more responsibility on them rather than checking to see if they had homework and whether it was complete, correct, etc. I think children are better served by letting them suffer the consequences of their action (or inaction). One consequence of not completing their homework could be requiring a parent to sign their daily agenda.
"Peace is always beautiful." - Walt Whitman

#5 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

I agree with John. I have a 1st grader and he reminds me about important things. I think it's good to teach the kids responsibility young that way that aren't completely floundering in middle school. I agree that the agenda-signing is kind of stupid, but if that is the teacher's requirement, then so be it. Follow the rules, do what you are told, and you will get to have fun. I think part of the agenda-signing is just routine - see what the homework is, do the homework, get the agenda signed. If you make it a routine, it will never get forgotten. I remember my duaghter standing there with a pen and her aganda, not willing to walk away, because she knew I might forget. AND, she knew it was up to HER to get ME to sign it, not the other way around. And, trust me, there were a few times she didn't get it signed and missed recess. But, since she liked recess, she didn't let that happen often.

knittychick - FWIW, I started only spot-checking my daughter's homework in 3rd, and never looked again once she started in 4th. She knows what needs to be done, so I never check to make sure. It's on her. If there are mistakes, then the teacher can see where help is needed. This is just my opinion, of course. :D:

#6 knittychick

knittychick

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:07 AM

Thanks Stacycam...our children are adults now and they turned out great, many times in spite of us! Back when they were in elementary school the administration encouraged not just oversight, but total involvement in every aspect of the student's learning/development experience. It was kind of a new concept at the time and I think they've pulled back some since.

When my kids came home from school we had great conversations - I asked if they wanted to tell me about their day and typically they would get stuff out of their backpack and show me (this was in elementary school before they considered any question I might ask to be none of my business!) This was all voluntary. I think if they knew they had something I had to sign every night it would have changed that after school conversation. They would have been focused on, "Mom you have to sign this or I'll get in trouble."
"Peace is always beautiful." - Walt Whitman

#7 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:16 AM

One thing I've been thinking about is the different approaches to schoolwork that different parents have. --It's an interesting question which kids are advantaged versus disadvantaged.

I'm not saying I'm the most on top of schoolwork, but I lean that way. I check in with my daughter (6th grade) about what's due when, whether she finished her homework, whether she's on track with longer-term projects etc. If she tells me she has a test, I'll quiz her on the material. I'm always available to help type reports, edit etc.

Other parents are more hands-off --some because they're just too busy or they're single parents or whatever, others because they have a hands-off philosophy.

I do believe my daughter gets better grades as a result of my oversight. She has other priorities besides school and I'm sure her work would slide if I didn't insist she put some effort in. I'm hoping that at least I can teach her good study habits, and maybe eventually she'll be able to carry them out on her own.

But, I know there is an argument of, "let them fail, let them experience the consequences of being lazy" because then they have to find their own motivation--- which certainly serves people well later in life.

Any thoughts?

#8 doj_gal

doj_gal

MyFolsom's Back at it Kid!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:33 AM

I think this really depends on your child's personality and their ability to prioritize and remember. I agree with StaceyCam. You have to let your children remember their requirements on their own...If they fail and have to receive a punishment, then hopefully that will help the remember their responsibilities in the future.

As far as not being involved in their homework and projects, I think I will be more of a hands-on parent. I will guide them and offer my assistance. I will keep them on track when they are younger but by 6th grade I think that they should really have a handle on how to multi-task and schedule their time commitments.

My mother was a very hands-off parents when I was in school, which was great for me. I got up in the morning on my own, walked to school, did my homework and projects with very little help. However, my sister needed more guidance. I really think it just depends on your child.

I do not think that constantly reminding them about their homework and other requirements will help them in the long run though.

#9 sweetpeasmom

sweetpeasmom

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:29 AM

Hi

I would like to get the opinion of other parents about "pink Slips" given to a child at school. It used to be that a child would get a pink slip and miss recess if they misbehaved in class. Now a child is given detention if a parent forgets to sign their daily "agenda" or if a child forgets their homework (or incomplete). I can understand if it is an ongoing problem. But, every few weeks if a parent forgets a signature, the child should not be punished for it.

Thanks for your opinions.

Some schools are much more into the pink slip thing than others. I don't think it's okay to give a child a pink slip for one day of not having an agenda signed (I think the signing of agendas is a waste of time, personally - especially in Folsom where, in general, parents are VERY involved). If a teacher does require the agenda to be signed, maybe give a pink slip when it's not signed 3 times or 5......... but not for one time. Kids should be allowed to forget or make a mistake once in a while without immediate punishment. Adults are allowed that for small things.........

#10 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

If a school ever requires my boy to wear a pink slip, I'll be down to that Principal's office so fast it will make their head spin.:angry:

What were we talking about?! :lol:
Where have all the flowers gone?
Posted Image

#11 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

What are pink slips? When I see "pink slip" I think of the slips teachers get when they are not going to be rehired. :)

#12 momof1

momof1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:49 PM

What are pink slips? When I see "pink slip" I think of the slips teachers get when they are not going to be rehired. :)

I agree, my familiarity with "pink slips" has two meanings. one is the piece of paper issued by the DMV showing ownership of a vehicle, they used to be pink, now I think they are rainbow colored. the other is the term used for a layoff notice, something you receive when being told your job is no longer.

#13 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:32 AM

Our school calls them pink "tickets". ;)

#14 jedisupermom

jedisupermom

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

I am sorry. It is called a pink ticket...not a pink slip.

Thank you all for responding. I just wanted to see if I was the only parent who felt strongly about giving a child a pink ticket for a missed signature in the agenda(one time). It's different if it is an on going problem.

I spoke to the principal at my child's school about the pink ticket policy. Apparently, it is up to the discretion of the teacher. Some are more severe than others. My older 2 kids (middle school now) who attended this elementary school did not face a missed recess for a missed signature. With the exception of one year in 3rd grade (teacher was pink ticket happy!).

I have also come to the conclusion over the past 8 years that my kids have been in school, that the teachers who have raised children and/or have school aged kids do not readily give out pink tickets for the slightest mistake. They understand that kids are kids and will forget things from time to time (and so will their parents).

#15 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

To someone who graduated 2nd grade in 1985 and doesn't have kids in the system, grade school in 2011 sounds like something dreamed up by Kurt Vonnegut
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users