DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Nov 13 2006, 06:36 PM) View Post

I know that song, Hail to those big....

So hard not to sing those words around the kids when my husband's singing the proper Victors song. Luckily, my kids know the words to "If you want to be a Badger."

Yep... its a good thing our cats don't understand what the heck I am singing. I may be belting a few lyrics on Saturday!

#17 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:45 PM

Quite the OSU vs Mich game over the weekend! If USC doesn't win out... this one definitely deserves a rematch. Looks like Mich is still number 2 in the BCS.

Oh yeah... and the Badgers won... and moved up to number 8 in the BCS. Could be 6 or 7 when all is said and done... but because of this stupid system... they are going to get screwed!

Go BIG TEN!

#18 Al Waysrite

Al Waysrite

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:42 AM

If USC beats Notre Dame and UCLA then they absolutely should play OSU for the fake "national championship". Ironically though if USC should lose to OSU in that game and Michigan win the Rose Bowl (would they play Cal?) Michigan would still probably end up #2 in the nation.

#19 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE(DrKoz23 @ Nov 19 2006, 09:45 PM) View Post

Quite the OSU vs Mich game over the weekend! If USC doesn't win out... this one definitely deserves a rematch. Looks like Mich is still number 2 in the BCS.

Oh yeah... and the Badgers won... and moved up to number 8 in the BCS. Could be 6 or 7 when all is said and done... but because of this stupid system... they are going to get screwed!

Go BIG TEN!

The Badgers? Cmon DrKoz...they played 4 non conference schools that Sac State could have beaten! Ohio State could be the best team in the country this year....and Michigan is a very good team....Wisconsin has only played ONE good team and gotten beat. The rest of the Big Ten is terrible....and that is being kind. Grant HS, here in Sacramento could have beaten some of those schools in the Big Ten!

Michigan beat Norte Dame....but the Irish haven't played anybody either.

I'm not faulting Ohio State, Michigan & Wisconsin for the weak opposition they played....but realistically if these teams played in the SEC.....I would be surprised if they would have the same records they do. If Michigan plays USC in the Rose Bowl who do you think would be favored?

Lets see how many Big Ten Schools actually go to bowl games and lest see how well they do. Who do think would be favored if Wisconsin played LSU, Tenessee or Arkansas?

Typically the Midwest schools are overrated....and always have been.

No rematch...lets see Ohio State play USC, Fla or Arkansas...I'd even settle for Notre Dame if they beat USC.

Let see the other Big Ten schools play against other conferences's similiarly ranked schools!

#20 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(Robert Giacometti @ Nov 20 2006, 04:38 PM) View Post

The Badgers? Cmon DrKoz...they played 4 non conference schools that Sac State could have beaten! Ohio State could be the best team in the country this year....and Michigan is a very good team....Wisconsin has only played ONE good team and gotten beat. The rest of the Big Ten is terrible....and that is being kind. Grant HS, here in Sacramento could have beaten some of those schools in the Big Ten!

Michigan beat Norte Dame....but the Irish haven't played anybody either.

I'm not faulting Ohio State, Michigan & Wisconsin for the weak opposition they played....but realistically if these teams played in the SEC.....I would be surprised if they would have the same records they do. If Michigan plays USC in the Rose Bowl who do you think would be favored?

Lets see how many Big Ten Schools actually go to bowl games and lest see how well they do. Who do think would be favored if Wisconsin played LSU, Tenessee or Arkansas?

Typically the Midwest schools are overrated....and always have been.

No rematch...lets see Ohio State play USC, Fla or Arkansas...I'd even settle for Notre Dame if they beat USC.

Let see the other Big Ten schools play against other conferences's similiarly ranked schools!

Let's see...

#1 Big Ten (OSU) against #1 SEC (Arkansas) = OSU Win (Arkansas go spanked against USC!)
#2 Big Ten (Mich) against #2 SEC (Florida) = Mich Win
#3 Big Ten (Wisc) against #3 SEC (LSU) = Wisc Win
#4 Big Ten (Purdue) against #4 SEC (Auburn) = Auburn

That would give 3 of the top 4 to the Big Ten.

You are all about facts... so... give me some about "Midwest schools are overrated... and always have been".

You say the Big Ten should play against other conferences' similarily ranked teams. Well just look at the SEC. Arkansas got spanked against a not as good USC team. Florida's best non-conference will be FSU (who are pitiful this year). LSU played Arizona... give me break... Arizona is a pathetic Pac10 team. Tennessee played Cal... but we can all see what a fraud Cal is now. Auburn played Washington State... another Pac10 bottom feeder.

The big conferences do not like to play the home-and-home series because of money. Its not just the Big Ten.

Same thing last year... as the Badgers went into the Capital One bowl against SEC Auburn... it was supposedly going to be a whooping by Auburn. The SEC was sooooooooo much better than the Big Ten. Who won... oh yeah. Wisconsin... 24-10... and it wasn't even that close.

#21 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:22 PM

Forgot one more thing.

Oregon State (3rd in the Pac 10) was scheduled to be the Badgers 12th game this year... but backed out. Wisconsin struggled to find another team to schedule... and the only team they could find willing to play was Buffalo.

Not their fault... but I am sure you could find a way to blame them.

#22 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(DrKoz23 @ Nov 20 2006, 08:22 PM) View Post

Forgot one more thing.

Oregon State (3rd in the Pac 10) was scheduled to be the Badgers 12th game this year... but backed out. Wisconsin struggled to find another team to schedule... and the only team they could find willing to play was Buffalo.

Not their fault... but I am sure you could find a way to blame them.

Booyah! Go Big Red!

#23 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:26 PM

Koz,

Since college football doesn't have a playoff system, sometimes its really never proven on the field who is the best team. Last year we all could agree that Texas was #1 and probably this year we may agree whoever OSU plays that may be the mythical championship game.

However rankings are just that and a very imperfect science, preformed by a variety of people scattered across the country. If you look at the geographical make up of the people voting in the polls, you'll discover the majority of the people have a geographical connection to the east or midwest. The Big Ten because of its tradition gets respect from pollsters wether that team deserves or not. Lets be honest....not all pollsters can watch all top 30 teams every week....so naturally there is going to be some bias based upon traditions. The west, with fewer pollsters gets less exposure and less respect.

The Badgers, played a pathetic non-conference schedule against I-AA schools that finished near or at the bottom of their conferences. I suspect almost any other Big Ten, Pac 10, or SEC school would have won all of those 4 games. I'm NOT blaming the Badgers....I'm just pointing out the facts.

The good news is...the top teams in each conference will get the chance to play against other good teams so we will be able to see how they match up.

I believe OSU should play the "second best'' team in the country, but I just don't think that team should be from the same conference.

#24 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE(Robert Giacometti @ Nov 20 2006, 09:26 PM) View Post

Koz,

Since college football doesn't have a playoff system, sometimes its really never proven on the field who is the best team. Last year we all could agree that Texas was #1 and probably this year we may agree whoever OSU plays that may be the mythical championship game.

However rankings are just that and a very imperfect science, preformed by a variety of people scattered across the country. If you look at the geographical make up of the people voting in the polls, you'll discover the majority of the people have a geographical connection to the east or midwest. The Big Ten because of its tradition gets respect from pollsters wether that team deserves or not. Lets be honest....not all pollsters can watch all top 30 teams every week....so naturally there is going to be some bias based upon traditions. The west, with fewer pollsters gets less exposure and less respect.

The Badgers, played a pathetic non-conference schedule against I-AA schools that finished near or at the bottom of their conferences. I suspect almost any other Big Ten, Pac 10, or SEC school would have won all of those 4 games. I'm NOT blaming the Badgers....I'm just pointing out the facts.

The good news is...the top teams in each conference will get the chance to play against other good teams so we will be able to see how they match up.

I believe OSU should play the "second best'' team in the country, but I just don't think that team should be from the same conference.

Actually the Badgers only played against one I-AA school... not the multiple number that you stated.

Auburn played against Buffalo (a UW opponent)... and had a rather weak non-conference schedule as well.

You mention strength of schedule. According to Jeff Sagarin the Badgers strength of schedule is 75. Oh yeah... Arkansas (top rated SEC) is 73.

Also... non-conference schedules are drawn up almost 4 or 5 years in the past... so you cannot exactly tell how good each team will be 4 or 5 years down the road. The Badgers played Bowling Green this year... who are close to a .500 team. A few years ago they were tops in the MAC and in the top 25.

Something tells me the Badgers could have won all 4 non-conference games that the SEC teams scheduled.

We'll see in the bowl game again. The Badgers are in the Capital One bowl and will play #2 SEC. I'll get to hear a months worth of how good the SEC is again. Just remember last years Capital One bowl...

UW 24... Auburn 10!

#25 Al Waysrite

Al Waysrite

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE(DrKoz23 @ Nov 20 2006, 08:06 PM) View Post

Let's see...

#1 Big Ten (OSU) against #1 SEC (Arkansas) = OSU Win (Arkansas go spanked against USC!)
#2 Big Ten (Mich) against #2 SEC (Florida) = Mich Win
#3 Big Ten (Wisc) against #3 SEC (LSU) = Wisc Win
#4 Big Ten (Purdue) against #4 SEC (Auburn) = Auburn

That would give 3 of the top 4 to the Big Ten.

You are all about facts... so... give me some about "Midwest schools are overrated... and always have been".

You say the Big Ten should play against other conferences' similarily ranked teams. Well just look at the SEC. Arkansas got spanked against a not as good USC team. Florida's best non-conference will be FSU (who are pitiful this year). LSU played Arizona... give me break... Arizona is a pathetic Pac10 team. Tennessee played Cal... but we can all see what a fraud Cal is now. Auburn played Washington State... another Pac10 bottom feeder.

The big conferences do not like to play the home-and-home series because of money. Its not just the Big Ten.

Same thing last year... as the Badgers went into the Capital One bowl against SEC Auburn... it was supposedly going to be a whooping by Auburn. The SEC was sooooooooo much better than the Big Ten. Who won... oh yeah. Wisconsin... 24-10... and it wasn't even that close.

Just in case anyone cares:
Big 10 has 7 bowl eligible teams
Pac 10 has 8
SEC has 9

Of course many of these teams will be playing in the Poulan Weed-eater bowl or the Chick Fil-A bowl.

#26 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:59 AM

Koz,

I wasn't "dissing" the Badgers for their schedule as though they went out and scheduled a bunch of patsies. We both understand the schedules are made out years in advance, so it just happened that this year the Badgers non-conference opponnets were NOT very strong.

I was simply trying to point out that IMHO, the Big 10 has 2 great teams, with the Badgers being a good team, but the rest of the conference is NOT very good. Again, IMHO, the PAc 10 or the SEC has better teams top to bottom, therefore the chance of getting beat every week is better in these conferences.

IMHO, if Cal had the Badgers schedule I suspect they would probably only have at the most one loss.

With the Bowl season coming up we will get the chance to see Big Ten schools play other similiarly ranked teams from other conferences and IMHO, that is where you can tell which conference is the best.

Again, I just feel that the Big 10 is overated.....the bowl games will tell us wether I'm correct or not.

No offense intended, but you Badger fans seem to get a bit sensitive regarding things. biggrin.gif

Have Great Thanksgiving!

#27 melloguy

melloguy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:01 PM

From ESPN College Football Analyst Pat Forde:

Outside of Michigan and Ohio State, the rest of the league did virtually nothing against outside competition. The Little Nine combined for 25 nonconference wins that broke down thusly: six against I-AA competition; 15 against I-A competition with losing records; three against Mid-American Conference opponents with winning records; and exactly one win over a Big Six conference opponent with a winning record. (That was Michigan State over Pittsburgh, one week before the Spartans unraveled against Notre Dame and then tanked the rest of the season.)

My addition - it is pretty likely that Pittsburgh will not have a winning record after this weekend when they play Louisville.

Having said that...I do not think any team in the nation compares to Ohio State. Several teams can beat them, but it would have to be an "on any given Saturday" game. Michigan had a huge intangible this weekend (Schembechler) and could not pull out a victory. It has had its shot at No. 1, now it should be USC if they win out, SEC champ if they do not.
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is three-fold: its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." -- Joseph Stalin, former dictator of the Soviet Union

#28 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(melloguy @ Nov 21 2006, 02:01 PM) View Post

Michigan had a huge intangible this weekend (Schembechler) and could not pull out a victory.

So... a dead guy should have meant a victory for Michigan? What would the final score have been if Bo was still alive? 42-32. Is a a dead guy worth 7 points in the spread?

The better team won. But by very little. OSU and Michigan are by far the best 2 teams in college football.

QUOTE(Robert Giacometti @ Nov 21 2006, 11:59 AM) View Post

No offense intended, but you Badger fans seem to get a bit sensitive regarding things. biggrin.gif

So when someone questions my opinion... I guess I shouldn't defend my stance?

Isn't this a forum where we are here to give our opinions and defend them? You started ripping on the Badgers and I defended them... if you take it as begin over sensitive... then so be it.

I guess its the same as the city council. You seem to like to single out one person (or team in this instance) and run with it... without any thought about the others on the council and their part as well (or other college football teams part in the whole system).

No offense intended.

#29 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(DrKoz23 @ Nov 21 2006, 03:50 PM) View Post

So... a dead guy should have meant a victory for Michigan? What would the final score have been if Bo was still alive? 42-32. Is a a dead guy worth 7 points in the spread?

The better team won. But by very little. OSU and Michigan are by far the best 2 teams in college football.
So when someone questions my opinion... I guess I shouldn't defend my stance?

Isn't this a forum where we are here to give our opinions and defend them? You started ripping on the Badgers and I defended them... if you take it as begin over sensitive... then so be it.

I guess its the same as the city council. You seem to like to single out one person (or team in this instance) and run with it... without any thought about the others on the council and their part as well (or other college football teams part in the whole system).

No offense intended.

Now Koz, I believe you are the one who started posting about the Big Ten and the Badgers. I was just trying to point out that they ( Big Ten & Badgers) really haven't played anybody else. Cal opened up a can of Whup A_ _ on Minnesota and I believe Penn State barely beat UCLA. Michigan beat N.D....but N.D. hasn't really played anybody either. OSU is may be the best team and if they win their final game they will be #1.

There is a difference between this topic & the city council discussions....in that here I could be wrong! biggrin.gif
The 4 or 5 teams that the Big Ten sends to Bowl games could win and then your claim that the Big Ten is the best conference would be right on and I would have to eat some humble pie. It wouldn't be the first time I had to do that and I'm sure it won't be the last!

Maybe we can start a College Football Bowl Pool....you would to get a second chance after the fanatsy football league right?

#30 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE(Robert Giacometti @ Nov 21 2006, 05:12 PM) View Post

Cal opened up a can of Whup A_ _ on Minnesota and I believe Penn State barely beat UCLA. Michigan beat N.D....but N.D. hasn't really played anybody either.

Cal beat Minn 42-17
Wisc beat Minn 48-12

Using all of your comparisons... that makes Wisc better than Cal.

Mich beat ND 47-21
Mich beat Wisc 27-13

Using your comparisons... that makes Wisc better than ND.

Penn State didn't even play UCLA this year. Maybe you should stick to talking about city politics. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users