27 replies to this topic

#16 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

I was reading an article off my old favorite housing website and came across an article about LA County prices continuing to erode. Granted it is Southern California, not our Sacramento region, but I couldn't help but wonder why someone with such a significant downpayment would not qualify for a loan. I'm sure this is happening here, too.

They likely did not have much in the way of provable income. Since I am a mortgage broker, I see that all the time. The buyers likely wrote off so much of their income that their tax returns showed very little leftover. 95% of the self-employed clients I have claim expenses out of nowhere. That obviously lowers their tax burden, but it also destroys their ability to qualify for mortgages.

It is really easy to see when a self-employed person is buying a new primary residence after having rented for a while. They may be paying $3,000/month on rent for years, yet their tax returns only show $4,000/month in net income. They fully expect to be able to qualify for a $3,000/month mortgage payment, yet they cannot after having defrauded the IRS for years.

You would be surprised how often I see the above situation.

As for Fannie Mae and FHA having really strict guidelines.....NOT REALLY. Both only require credit scores of 620, which is not a good score. Fannie is more strict in that their maximum debt-to-income ratio is typically 45%. FHA, on the other hand, allows for 57% across the board on every loan. NOT ONE subprime lender ever allowed debt-to-income ratios that high. (except on stated income loans, which were obviously fraudulent)

#17 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

They likely did not have much in the way of provable income. Since I am a mortgage broker, I see that all the time. The buyers likely wrote off so much of their income that their tax returns showed very little leftover. 95% of the self-employed clients I have claim expenses out of nowhere. That obviously lowers their tax burden, but it also destroys their ability to qualify for mortgages.

It is really easy to see when a self-employed person is buying a new primary residence after having rented for a while. They may be paying $3,000/month on rent for years, yet their tax returns only show $4,000/month in net income. They fully expect to be able to qualify for a $3,000/month mortgage payment, yet they cannot after having defrauded the IRS for years.

So is this your understanding then, of why so many offers fall through (although there are many twists & turns to many different circumstances) these days?

#18 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:37 PM

So is this your understanding then, of why so many offers fall through (although there are many twists & turns to many different circumstances) these days?

Well, they should have never been allowed to submit an offer if they were not properly pre-approved. They may have slipped through the cracks by lying to the lender though. I have seen that happen.

As for offers falling through due to inaccuracies on the lender's end, it is usually due to incorrect information being supplied by the borrower or an incompetent loan officer. There are no shortages of the latter.

#19 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:15 AM

Since when are tax write-offs defrauding the IRS? That's a very ignorant statement to make.
This is typically what I hear from corporate drones who are jealous that the self employed harder working people have so many tax write off options. You might like high taxes because you don't mind giving away the farm, but the rest of us don't.

Plus anyone paying 3k a month on rent is not too bright in the first place.

#20 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:23 AM

It appears banks continue to sit on vacant homes as a means to prevent the further erosion of home prices. Does anyone know the number of bank owned properties that are not on the market? Is that number climbing, steady, or declining?

#21 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:40 AM

Fannie is more strict in that their maximum debt-to-income ratio is typically 45%. FHA, on the other hand, allows for 57% across the board on every loan. NOT ONE subprime lender ever allowed debt-to-income ratios that high. (except on stated income loans, which were obviously fraudulent)

Be careful on blanket statements.

In 2008 Freddie Mac was still allowing 64.99% Di on their 100% program (aka HomePossible) and as high as 115% DI with 20% down.

#22 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:46 AM

It appears banks continue to sit on vacant homes as a means to prevent the further erosion of home prices. Does anyone know the number of bank owned properties that are not on the market? Is that number climbing, steady, or declining?

I have heard the number is huge, almost staggering. Steve will know. It's also been in the Sacramento business journal.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#23 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

I found this an interesting idea. A non-profit group buys the foreclosed homes and either sells them back or rents them to the original owners so they can stay in their homes. I wonder if it will work in the long term.

http://www.realestat...sed-Owners.html

#24 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:26 PM

Be careful on blanket statements.

In 2008 Freddie Mac was still allowing 64.99% Di on their 100% program (aka HomePossible) and as high as 115% DI with 20% down.

My statements are correct. Freddie Mac did not back sub-prime loans....they only invested in them.

Are you saying Freddic Mac allowed 115% DTI's??? That never happened.

#25 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:22 PM

Are you saying Freddic Mac allowed 115% DTI's??? That never happened.

Yes, it did. I closed some.

#26 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

Yes, it did. I closed some.

I call BS on that one. I worked with a FHLMC only lender for years...during that time period....and they had the exact same cap as Fannie Mae at 64.99.

#27 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:38 PM

I call BS on that one. I worked with a FHLMC only lender for years...during that time period....and they had the exact same cap as Fannie Mae at 64.99.

Then you weren't using it correctly. It allows $1 for income and would still "accept". "straight to close" was also another name for it.

#28 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:46 PM

Then you weren't using it correctly. It allows $1 for income and would still "accept". "straight to close" was also another name for it.

"Straight to close" was a Wells Fargo product for stated income, not a Freddie Mac product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users