9 replies to this topic

#1 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:08 AM

We were there yesterday, it's quite a sight! Drift wood, stumps, twigs, a few tree trunks washed up high in the parking lot. Do a drive by if you are interested.

#2 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:25 AM

Can you give us coordinates on a google map or show us a pic of where that place is....?   Sorry, have no idea where that is.....  I was down at the Rainbow Bridge two days ago...  Never saw so much water coming down that River in my 18 years of living here.   Regards

1A - 2A = -1A

#3 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:14 AM

Can you give us coordinates on a google map or show us a pic of where that place is....?   Sorry, have no idea where that is.....  I was down at the Rainbow Bridge two days ago...  Never saw so much water coming down that River in my 18 years of living here.   Regards

You missed the Auburn cofferdam failure in 1986 and the gate fail in 1995.  It looked kind of similar, I drove over the Rainbow Bridge to work in Roseville on Monday, July 17, 1995, and wondered why the heck they were letting out so much water.  I had no idea the gate had broken.  The water coming down wasn't nearly as muddy in the 1995 event as it was in 1986.

#4 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:27 AM

Hobie Cove is at Browns Ravine.. I was at Folsom Point yesterday and could see a huge debris field in the water extending all the way from mid water back to Browns Ravine.  Lots of debris on Mormon Dam as well... until the water raises again...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#5 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:42 AM

Maybe they will offer free firewood again.  There were whole trees and a lot of debris in 1997.

If you are interested in googling it, there is an article at www.thefreelibrary.com titled Storms Litter Folsom Lake With Debris, dated February 2, 1997, that describes how much debris was washed down in January storms of that year.  There is even a statement that the amount of debris knocked down the storage capacity of the lake at the time (from 1.01 million acre feet to 977,000)  They were offering as much free firewood you could carry to anyone who paid the $6 entry fee to the lake.

#6 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:25 PM

Hobie Cove is at the Folsom Lake entrance off of Green Valley across from the mini storage. We saw people trying to load tree stumps with cool root systems, but they were too waterlogged and heavy. Oh, so that had happened another time back in 97? I hope people can take some wood to help clean up..

#7 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:50 AM

when it starts to warm up, be careful.  rattlesnakes love debris piles like that.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#8 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:01 PM

when it starts to warm up, be careful.  rattlesnakes love debris piles like that.

Good point.  Same goes for logs floating in the lake.  It might already be warm enough for snakes to be out and about.  I saw a small lizard sunning itself on a wall this week.

#9 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:14 PM

Good point.  Same goes for logs floating in the lake.  It might already be warm enough for snakes to be out and about.  I saw a small lizard sunning itself on a wall this week.

The Folsom Zoo found a huge rattlesnake on Monday near a debris pile behind city hall.  They are starting to stir, although it seems way too early to me.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#10 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:18 PM

Oh my !  I have been checking out the piles at Brown's Ravine and have gotten some great stuff- Artsy- not fire wood-- but had no idea that Snakes could be around.  will bring my Big Stick next time...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users