• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 hopeanelli

hopeanelli

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Interests:Drag Racing, Motocross, boating and my boys....

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

Hey All,

I am sure there a lot on the forum who have done this ride but I haven't ever tried and I am thinking about taking it on with hubby. I work for the construction company doing all the work on Hazel so I know the obstacles there but thought I would ask if it's pretty much a flat ride down or lots of hills or any advice. I am a beginner on the bike well I have taken 3 hr rides and been fine and some hills and such. Just wondering if I need to get more advanced and if the trails are super hard.

HELP... want to ride to or as close as I can to old sac....

#2 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (hopeanelli @ Sep 2 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey All,

I am sure there a lot on the forum who have done this ride but I haven't ever tried and I am thinking about taking it on with hubby. I work for the construction company doing all the work on Hazel so I know the obstacles there but thought I would ask if it's pretty much a flat ride down or lots of hills or any advice. I am a beginner on the bike well I have taken 3 hr rides and been fine and some hills and such. Just wondering if I need to get more advanced and if the trails are super hard.

This is a great goal! I'll just give you my experience. Even when I'm in marathon condition, if I haven't been on the bike regularly making it all the way down to Old Sac and back (from Karen's Bakery) is quite the challenge. Even with drafting in a paceline at a not-so-fast speed of 16 mph or so, the 56-60 mile round trip can be exhausting. Plan on at least 4 hours, and that is with just a potty/water break at Goethe, Discovery, and maybe Goethe again on the way back.

Personally, I would suggest starting with smaller distances and adding a little more each week. So, start with Karen's to Hazel and back. Then, Karen's to Goethe and back. Then, Karen's to Sac State and back. And then Karen's to Disco and back. And so on.

As far as "hills." Ask a seasoned cyclist and s/he will tell you it is flat (heck, it even feels flat to me after I've been riding consistently for a while). Well, yes, it feels flat after you've been doing Costco, Beatty/Alexandra, Indian Hill, and the like, but when you're starting out it can feel "hilly." In fact, the last bit back up to Karen's at the end of the ride can feel like a freaking mountain!

Another thing you might want to do is take some money so you can take the light rail back if you run out of steam along the way! smile.gif

Have fun! smile.gif

#3 hopeanelli

hopeanelli

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (aztransplant @ Sep 2 2009, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a great goal! I'll just give you my experience. Even when I'm in marathon condition, if I haven't been on the bike regularly making it all the way down to Old Sac and back (from Karen's Bakery) is quite the challenge. Even with drafting in a paceline at a not-so-fast speed of 16 mph or so, the 56-60 mile round trip can be exhausting. Plan on at least 4 hours, and that is with just a potty/water break at Goethe, Discovery, and maybe Goethe again on the way back.

Personally, I would suggest starting with smaller distances and adding a little more each week. So, start with Karen's to Hazel and back. Then, Karen's to Goethe and back. Then, Karen's to Sac State and back. And then Karen's to Disco and back. And so on.

As far as "hills." Ask a seasoned cyclist and s/he will tell you it is flat (heck, it even feels flat to me after I've been riding consistently for a while). Well, yes, it feels flat after you've been doing Costco, Beatty/Alexandra, Indian Hill, and the like, but when you're starting out it can feel "hilly." In fact, the last bit back up to Karen's at the end of the ride can feel like a freaking mountain!

Another thing you might want to do is take some money so you can take the light rail back if you run out of steam along the way! smile.gif

Have fun! smile.gif

Thanks I am a beginner and I wasn't going to ride back we were just going to ride down and hang out down there and have our vehicle there to drive home.. HELL I am not that crazy...
So what do you think of the ride down to much for beginner?

#4 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (hopeanelli @ Sep 2 2009, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks I am a beginner and I wasn't going to ride back we were just going to ride down and hang out down there and have our vehicle there to drive home.. HELL I am not that crazy...
So what do you think of the ride down to much for beginner?

Hmmm . . . That's still about 30 miles and cycling uses very different muscles than those used for running or walking if that's what you're used to doing for fitness. Like I said, even when I've been doing a lot of running, if I haven't been cycling consistently I burn out a lot sooner and it feels a lot harder than I ever anticipate. Try to keep your gears where you can easily spin. This will save your muscles so they don't burn out on you too soon. And make sure your tires are fully inflated -- I learned the hard way that soft tires equals feeling like you're cycling through sand! Bring some snacks and fluids and take rests along the way if you feel like it. Make it fun!

And, if you catch the cycling bug, you will be amazed at how quickly you progress once you get consistent. Before you know it, you'll be riding along that trail and think, "Pretty funny that I ever thought this felt 'hilly!'"

smile.gif

#5 hopeanelli

hopeanelli

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE (aztransplant @ Sep 3 2009, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm . . . That's still about 30 miles and cycling uses very different muscles than those used for running or walking if that's what you're used to doing for fitness. Like I said, even when I've been doing a lot of running, if I haven't been cycling consistently I burn out a lot sooner and it feels a lot harder than I ever anticipate. Try to keep your gears where you can easily spin. This will save your muscles so they don't burn out on you too soon. And make sure your tires are fully inflated -- I learned the hard way that soft tires equals feeling like you're cycling through sand! Bring some snacks and fluids and take rests along the way if you feel like it. Make it fun!

And, if you catch the cycling bug, you will be amazed at how quickly you progress once you get consistent. Before you know it, you'll be riding along that trail and think, "Pretty funny that I ever thought this felt 'hilly!'"

smile.gif

Thanks for the advice, I am new to the bicycle thing I have done a 3hr ride around Folsom leaving Lexington Hills heading towards the lake then over the rainbow bridge and down along Folsom Blvd to Dos Coyotes and up Blue Ravine and back to Lexington Hills which was a lot of hill climbing and I was beat and my hiney was killing but it was fun... I am just looking for some fun trail ride that does't require to much hilly stuff... I will keep you posted.

#6 BIG PAKO

BIG PAKO

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE (hopeanelli @ Sep 2 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey All,

Flat as a pancake, a few insignificant short short climbs, but nothing to write home about.

#7 Rickykicks

Rickykicks

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:I like everything from hiking in the foothills to playing world of warcraft on my laptop. I've a conservative my nature and I fully support the brave men and woman serving overseas in our great military, may god bring them home safe! <br /><br />I work at The Hartford Insurance Agency, Workers Comp Division and I go to school at Folsom Lake College and study Anthropology.

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:56 AM

I always start out with the best intentions of finishing the ride but always end up quitting at sunrise.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
Robert A. Heinlein

Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.
Robert A. Heinlein

Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.
Robert A. Heinlein

Never insult anyone by accident.
Robert A. Heinlein

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlein

#8 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:06 AM

if you don't want to have to shuttle a vehicle, try to end somewhere near a light rail stop and take your bikes back on the train.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#9 hopeanelli

hopeanelli

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (4thgenFolsomite @ Sep 3 2009, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you don't want to have to shuttle a vehicle, try to end somewhere near a light rail stop and take your bikes back on the train.

Well now I just realized its Gold Rush Days down there so that changes my plans a little but I was thinking that light rail would be fun to come home on.

#10 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:07 AM

The AR Trail is mostly flat all the way to Discovery Park.

The only real rolling part is Sunrise back up to Folsom (Karen's). With the River Bend (Goethe Park) bridge being the only exception.

It's a great ride to start at Karen's Bakery and then ride to Discovery Park (30-32 Miles). Then you can ride through Old Sac - up to 7th and Capitol (K Street Mall), and hop on the Light Rail back to Folsom.

Here is a map of one example - click on Elevation Tab on the bottom to see the Hill Profile:
Folsom To Sac

QUOTE (hopeanelli @ Sep 3 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well now I just realized its Gold Rush Days down there so that changes my plans a little but I was thinking that light rail would be fun to come home on.

#11 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:34 PM

For a good solid ride that doesn't take too long, do a lap of Lake Natoma, crossing at Folsom and at Hazel. This is 11.5 miles and should take you an hour or so at an easy pace on any old bike. Do that once see if your hiney isn't too miserable to get on the bike the next day. I know for me it's the seat that would do me in on a 60 mile ride, not getting tired.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#12 benning

benning

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (hopeanelli @ Sep 3 2009, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the advice, I am new to the bicycle thing I have done a 3hr ride around Folsom leaving Lexington Hills heading towards the lake then over the rainbow bridge and down along Folsom Blvd to Dos Coyotes and up Blue Ravine and back to Lexington Hills which was a lot of hill climbing and I was beat and my hiney was killing but it was fun... I am just looking for some fun trail ride that does't require to much hilly stuff... I will keep you posted.

If you did that you will have no problem going to old SAc. it's a pretty ride...lots of variety...and very flat. If you want something shorter why don't you go as far as Sac State and have them pick you up there?
Don't worry too much cause you can always turn around anywhere...
GO FOR IT!
"L'essential est invisible pour les yeux."

#13 benning

benning

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (Devdave @ Sep 4 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The AR Trail is mostly flat all the way to Discovery Park.

The only real rolling part is Sunrise back up to Folsom (Karen's). With the River Bend (Goethe Park) bridge being the only exception.

It's a great ride to start at Karen's Bakery and then ride to Discovery Park (30-32 Miles). Then you can ride through Old Sac - up to 7th and Capitol (K Street Mall), and hop on the Light Rail back to Folsom.

Here is a map of one example - click on Elevation Tab on the bottom to see the Hill Profile:
Folsom To Sac

from looking at your pace and heart rate I'd say you had a nice workout
"L'essential est invisible pour les yeux."

#14 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (Darth Lefty @ Sep 4 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For a good solid ride that doesn't take too long, do a lap of Lake Natoma, crossing at Folsom and at Hazel. This is 11.5 miles and should take you an hour or so at an easy pace on any old bike. Do that once see if your hiney isn't too miserable to get on the bike the next day. I know for me it's the seat that would do me in on a 60 mile ride, not getting tired.

I love that ride, in fact the family and I are going to do it tomorrow

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#15 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:23 PM

Back to the original question, if you've taken Darth's advice (not often you'll hear me say that!) and are comfortable with the Lake Natoma loop, the jump from 12 to 30 miles isn't that big a deal (except maybe for the seat time).

As for the light rail option, you can also get on at the end of the line (at the Amtrak station); there's a nice connection directly from Old Sac through the back of the Amtrak parking lot, so you don't have to deal with any traffic. Also, depending on time of day, you might consider starting with the light rail ride and riding back from Old Sac. If you're going early in the morning (highly recommended to avoid the heat), I'd bike first and ride light rail back; if it's early afternoon or later when you're starting, I'd do the opposite because you're more likely to have a tail wind. The other advantage of taking the train back is you avoid having up to 1/2 hour wait for a train to Folsom, although if you're having lunch in Old Sac, it shouldn't be a big deal.

We keep saying we're going to do this ride as a family (last time was a round trip with our oldest in a trailer when he was one), but the prospect of getting two adults, four kids, four bikes, one tag-along bike and a trailer on a light rail vehicle in 30 seconds is daunting (not to mention against the rules) even to a hardcore biking family like ours. We have, however, figured out how to go canoeing by bike, and did so for the second time today. Pulling a 60-lb canoe full of gear 9 miles is a great way to make a challenge out of riding with a 4 year-old; he beat me home -- including the long push (long if you're 4 or pulling a trailer) up the Young Wo hill -- in only his second post-training wheel bike trail ride, proving once again that with a little encouragement, kids will amaze you and themselves with their ability to challenge themselves and accomplish seemingly unattainable tasks! He sure was proud of himself, as were his older brothers and his mom and dad, of course.

I know stories of the exploits of 4 year-olds are sometime more annoying than inspiring, but it did seem rather relevant. So, hopefully it's the latter.

Enjoy the ride! And remember, next weekend is Folsom's Cyclebration!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users