21 replies to this topic

#1 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

It's coming. Looks like they have released maps of the first couple stages... stage 1 is going to be exciting, and it comes very close to Folsom.

Stage 1 route map

#2 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:27 AM

Can't wait!!!!!!! Hubby knows the route well and will pick out the best viewing spots (hopefully an uphill, where they will be forced to slow down a little).

I hope we get a good group of riders. With the event moved to May, we will (hopefully) get better weather than years past, but some of the European riders may be occupied with races in Europe.

#3 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

I would like to figure out where the riders are staying the night before the stage. We went to a stage in Palo Alto once, ended up at the same hotel as many riders were staying at, and got to talk to Paolo Bettini, George Hincapie, and Levi Leipheimer.

If anyone gets inside info (or some good speculation), please share!

I don't think Nevada City has too many hotels. Maybe they'll stay in Auburn or Sac or Roseville?

#4 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:04 AM

Levi's take on the first two stages...

#5 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:20 PM

That's a great route with good hills and switchbacks. The Auburn to EDH segment should be pretty good as they climb out of the American River canyons.

#6 BIG PAKO

BIG PAKO

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (eVader @ Feb 10 2010, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a great route with good hills and switchbacks. The Auburn to EDH segment should be pretty good as they climb out of the American River canyons.

I agree, Salmon Falls Rd. has some sweet twists & turns.

#7 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:16 AM

watching one of those bike races reminds me in the old days when my pals and I would wait for a train to come by. we would put pennies on the track and they would flatten.

we would wait for a long time and then the train would whoosh by in a few seconds, sort of like the bike race coming by.

a lot of waithing for one whoosh, but at least with the train gig you could find your flattened penny

#8 BIG PAKO

BIG PAKO

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (old soldier @ Feb 11 2010, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
watching one of those bike races reminds me in the old days when my pals and I would wait for a train to come by. we would put pennies on the track and they would flatten.

we would wait for a long time and then the train would whoosh by in a few seconds, sort of like the bike race coming by.

a lot of waithing for one whoosh, but at least with the train gig you could find your flattened penny

Old Soldier,

Stick your foot out as they pass by... ...I guarantee something will get flattened.

#9 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

Stage 2 looks great....Oakville grade is steeeep! I was riding up that climb one time in early 1992, when the Motorola team had training camp in Sonoma. I was struggling up it, and a group of 4 Motorola riders (Phil Anderson, Steve Bauer, Andy Hampsten, Frankie Andreu) flew by me, just chatting amongst themselves, with seemingly no effort. Good times.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

#10 curiousity

curiousity

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Feb 10 2010, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's coming. Looks like they have released maps of the first couple stages... stage 1 is going to be exciting, and it comes very close to Folsom.

Stage 1 route map

wow, 4 hours to go 100 miles, I would be lucky if I could do that route in 10 hours.
I think I'll resort to watching it on TV, if I bother to watch it all.

#11 BIG PAKO

BIG PAKO

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (curiousity @ Feb 11 2010, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow, 4 hours to go 100 miles, I would be lucky if I could do that route in 10 hours.
I think I'll resort to watching it on TV, if I bother to watch it all.

I did a variation of that route last year, basically it was Folsom to Nevada City & back, using those same roads, 107 miles total... ...it took me 6 Hours 52 Minutes, by myself & I'm a chubby MF.

#12 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:12 PM

Just a week and a half away til the Tour comes through NV City, Auburn, EDH and finishes in Sac. Anyone have their vantage point picked yet? Will it be on White Rock, more upstream along Salmon Falls Rd or deeper in the twisty canyons on 49?

I am still looking for the best downhill/uphill section to watch then come down the hill from across the canyon then watch them up close in the climb.

#13 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (eVader @ May 6 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a week and a half away til the Tour comes through NV City, Auburn, EDH and finishes in Sac. Anyone have their vantage point picked yet? Will it be on White Rock, more upstream along Salmon Falls Rd or deeper in the twisty canyons on 49?

I am still looking for the best downhill/uphill section to watch then come down the hill from across the canyon then watch them up close in the climb.

I was talking with Richard @ BSB last night and his new patio area at Relish Burger is going to be a great vantage point to watch the riders go by there in EDH.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#14 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (davburr @ May 7 2010, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was talking with Richard @ BSB last night and his new patio area at Relish Burger is going to be a great vantage point to watch the riders go by there in EDH.

Oh so true! I noticed as I drove by there the patio was OPEN....thinking a nice beer around sunset there with the wife would be a perfect ending to the week. rolleyes.gif

#15 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:27 AM

KCRA has a good AmgenTour page covering places to eat, places to watch, parking etc - http://www.kcra.com/...079/detail.html

In addition to Chris v's map above, Amgen TOC has posted estimated times at key sections http://www.amgentour.../log-stage1.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users