• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:45 PM

Anyone from Fair Oaks around here? I'm curious if there's a story behind all the chickens.

#2 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:53 AM

QUOTE (john @ Jun 7 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone from Fair Oaks around here? I'm curious if there's a story behind all the chickens.

That is curious. They are all over the place, I remember seeing them at that park and walking around the Slocum House restaurant.

This might shed some light on the subject....
Fair Oaks Chicken Festival
http://www.fairoaksp...i...&Itemid=188

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#3 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:04 AM

So, first you start with a mommy chicken, add a daddy chicken, and well.. go ask your mother.

Or, was it start with an egg? I always forget.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#4 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (mylo @ Jun 8 2009, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, first you start with a mommy chicken, add a daddy chicken, and well.. go ask your mother.

laugh.gif

#5 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE (mylo @ Jun 8 2009, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suppose I was asking for that...

#6 Squidward

Squidward

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:53 PM

The chickens have been in Old Fair Oaks for decades. Nothing like eating outside at Slocum House and watching the chickens.

#7 a little bean

a little bean

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:48 AM

My great aunts grew up on a farm in Fair Oaks (which used to be entirely farmland). I'm not sure if they were always there, but I know that my aunt has always kept chickens and any time she got tired of one, she'd drop it off there.

#8 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (a little bean @ Jun 9 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My great aunts grew up on a farm in Fair Oaks (which used to be entirely farmland). I'm not sure if they were always there, but I know that my aunt has always kept chickens and any time she got tired of one, she'd drop it off there.

I asked a business owner in FO once about the roosters and chickens. I was told -- not sure if this is fact or not -- that the whole thing got started because people dropped off roosters and chickens they didn't want. One person started it, another got the idea, then another, and they quickly multiplied.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#9 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (Deb B @ Jun 9 2009, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I asked a business owner in FO once about the roosters and chickens. I was told -- not sure if this is fact or not -- that the whole thing got started because people dropped off roosters and chickens they didn't want. One person started it, another got the idea, then another, and they quickly multiplied.

That makes sense, I did the same when I lived in Ojai.

#10 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:02 AM

Sac State had a similar situation in the 90s... a hen and a chicken were dropped off one day on campus. Then came the chicks, next thing you knew there were probably 50 of them on campus. No predators of any kind as the school is secluded so they multiplied quickly.

Then one day in the middle of the night, they all vanished. I was told school officials gave the OK to kill them all. It was actually pretty fun when they were around.

#11 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:01 AM

And here I thought if you didn't want a chicken any more, you ate it
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#12 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (Darth Lefty @ Jun 9 2009, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And here I thought if you didn't want a chicken any more, you ate it

Mmm.. McFairOaks

"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#13 stangage70

stangage70

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:32 AM

http://www.sfgate.co...eed=rss.bayarea

As folks tell it, the first birds arrived with Hugh Gorman, an artist who moved to Fair Oaks in 1977 with his four chickens.

At first, Gorman recalls, he fielded pleas to keep his flock cooped up. But ultimately, Gorman relented to his free-spirit sensibilities and released the foursome.

Each year, a new flotilla of fuzzy yellow chicks could be seen scurrying after their mothers. Other chickens joined the mix, Gorman said, among them post-Easter escapees from a local feed store and barnyard rejects dumped at the town limits.

Now, the chickens are a functional part of the Fair Oaks ethos and ecosystem, Gorman said.

#14 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:49 PM

We've attended the Fair Oaks Chicken Festival and had a good time. That said, it is a little creepy seeing all these chickens walking around, seemingly oblivious to all the people, yet there are booths set up selling fried chicken, chicken wings, teriyaki chicken, etc. It's was almost like let's celebrate the chicken and then eat it.

#15 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:00 PM

I've spent some time on "ranches" and while chickens are "ok" the gol darn roosters will make you want to grab a shotgun quickly.

Years ago, my brother had a final "moving to Sac" party at his house in SoCAl. He lived in a somewhat rural area on some acreage, and while we were hootin and hollerin to all hours, several guests commented about the noise of the roosters next door. His (somewhat inebriated) response, "Eh, you get used to it"
Next day, we answered the front door to sheriffs, animal control officers and reporters as the "Largest Cockfighting Bust" in LA county history was happening right next door. What a note to leave LA on, lol, we sure didn't see that one coming...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users