ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (dlutz @ Mar 19 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question to everyone.

It might be my imagination, but I seem to have noticed our water pressure going down a little over the last few months. Not that I mind, but could the city be limiting our usage this way? I've also noticed some air in the lines as well.

Did you just get a water meter installed?

#17 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Mar 19 2009, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's ridiculous that in a time of drought our lake is still going to be used to flush the delta. We need our city leaders to step up and stop this madness,

Why is it stupid? It's not like the water in the lake belongs just to the residents of Folsom. Mother Nature set up a process to bring water down the mountains to the sea. I don't think we should be interfering with that. The rain, the snow and the water belongs to the Earth, not to the people.

#18 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (cw68 @ Mar 19 2009, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why is it stupid? It's not like the water in the lake belongs just to the residents of Folsom. Mother Nature set up a process to bring water down the mountains to the sea. I don't think we should be interfering with that. The rain, the snow and the water belongs to the Earth, not to the people.

And part of Nature includes wildlife and like beavers we build dams.

Anyone know why Folsom Lake is the flusher vs. Shasta or other reservoirs?

#19 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (eVader @ Mar 19 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

because on a percentage basis it will have the most water.

#20 jagayman

jagayman

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

Anyone know what the city regulations are on drilling a well in your backyard?

Jason Gayman
Folsom Weather Webmaster

#21 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (eVader @ Mar 19 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably because we are the closet reservior to the delta, so the releases from Folsom will affect the delta faster.

The purpose in flushing the delta, as its been explained to me , is to keep the saltwater from intruding into the pumps so SO CAL has fresh water.

#22 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Mar 19 2009, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's ridiculous that in a time of drought our lake is still going to be used to flush the delta. We need our city leaders to step up and stop this madness,

Cmon People wake up!

It was/is our City leaders who put us in this position! Who approved all the building in Folsom that uses all the water? Who approved all the water deals, that reduced our supply during drought years?

The City of Folsom has some of the earliest water rights on the American River, I believe they are pre 1914. We were FIRST in line, so if there were cutbacks it would have been other cities downstream from us, who would have had their supplies cut before us.

These water rights weren't enough water to build out all of N 50 so the city bought some Fazio water and agreed to cutbacks to our pre-1914 water rights during drought years during this transaction. If we only would have built out to our pre-1914 water rights capacity, we would have never had any problems!

Then they renegotiated the Aerojet 2036 Water agreement giving Aerojet a PERMANENT allocation of our pre-1914 water rights. This was the worst deal in the HSTORY of the City of Folsom. ( Yes this deal was worse than the sale of the surplus land next to the HS).

I've had a community leader actually agree with me in private that the Aerojet deal was a bad deal and that the city needs to go back and redo the agreement. We do have the ability to void the agreement since some preformance clauses haven't been fullfilled.

I suspect the city cut this deal with Aerojet as a prelude to incorporate the Aerojet property into the City of Folsom later down the road.

Don't be blaming the Feds for what our City leaders bought into.

#23 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (Robert Giacometti @ Mar 19 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Probably because we are the closet reservior to the delta, so the releases from Folsom will affect the delta faster.

The purpose in flushing the delta, as its been explained to me , is to keep the saltwater from intruding into the pumps so SO CAL has fresh water.

And to keep a more natural balance.

#24 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (cw68 @ Mar 19 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Given all the man made levees and dams it hard to know what really is a natural balance.

I don't claim to be a water expert or scientist, but I'm suspecting before their were any dams the salt water intrusion, at times, may have extended further up the Sac River than what it does today?

One of the bigger concerns I keep reading about regarding the delta is a major earthquake to occur causing levees to fail allowing fresh water to flow through broken levees flooding the submerged islands. This would cause salt water to intrude into the water pumps rendering SO CAl's water undrinkable.

With all the talk about the delta and redoing the plumbing, I really don't think the motivation is to restore the natural balance, I sense its to secure SO CALS & Farmers water. The natural balance might be a by product that will be promoted.

If they truly wanted to restore the natural balance, they would tear out all the dams and levees.

#25 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (cw68 @ Mar 19 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is insane. Our lake is going to be at 80% full yet we're willing to drain he thing down to Mormon Island just to keep some fish happy. At some point we have to realize that we're interfering far too much with nature. Somehow in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, before all the environmental regulation, the fish figured out how to survive. Somehow for the last few thousand years when there was no dam and water ran dry at the middle of summer, the fish found a way.

I don't think we give Mother Nature enough credit.

#26 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (john @ Mar 19 2009, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is insane. Our lake is going to be at 80% full yet we're willing to drain he thing down to Mormon Island just to keep some fish happy. At some point we have to realize that we're interfering far too much with nature. Somehow in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, before all the environmental regulation, the fish figured out how to survive. Somehow for the last few thousand years when there was no dam and water ran dry at the middle of summer, the fish found a way.

Its not just the fish... as CW said... its for salinity purposes as well. If too much salt water gets into the canals toward SoCal... its not a good thing.

Its all about balance. Shasta and Oroville won't be able to pick up as much of the load because they won't get anywhere near capacity. Folsom probably will... and will have to be the "workhorse".

#27 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (john @ Mar 19 2009, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did all fish survive? What happens if we let a whole species of fish die off because we want to boat and play in the lake and continue to over-water our ridiculously climate-inappropriate lawns? There's a chain reaction in nature and food chains and knowingly rocking the boat is plain ole dumb. Can the plant life growing in the delta survive with higher salinity levels? How would that affect the marine life, the birds, the land animals that drink from the river? Besides, do you want to go back to the environmental regulations we had back in the 60s?

At some point we have to realize that we all need to use less water. Period. That means no watering the gutters in the streets trying to get our lawns to stay green. That means drought-resistant plants. We don't need to take multiple showers every day.

We can complain all we want about little fishies and the water needs of SoCal, but we should all first look in the mirror and cover our own arses before we complain about others.

We are so disconnected from the reality of our consumption. My Mom grew up without running water and without electricity. They had to take all their garbage to the dump, pump all their water directly from the ground and there was a definite connection to what they used, what they needed and what they wasted. We all think we NEED to use all this stuff when really we are incredibly wasteful and resistant to the idea that we have to stop unnecessarily plowing through our water, electric, gas, etc. There's always an excuse, but the bottom line is we cannot support our demand with our supply. It's a heck of a lot easier to change the demand and increase the efficiency of use.

#28 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (cw68 @ Mar 19 2009, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did all fish survive? What happens if we let a whole species of fish die off because we want to boat and play in the lake and continue to over-water our ridiculously climate-inappropriate lawns? There's a chain reaction in nature and food chains and knowingly rocking the boat is plain ole dumb. Can the plant life growing in the delta survive with higher salinity levels? How would that affect the marine life, the birds, the land animals that drink from the river? Besides, do you want to go back to the environmental regulations we had back in the 60s?

At some point we have to realize that we all need to use less water. Period. That means no watering the gutters in the streets trying to get our lawns to stay green. That means drought-resistant plants. We don't need to take multiple showers every day.

We can complain all we want about little fishies and the water needs of SoCal, but we should all first look in the mirror and cover our own arses before we complain about others.

We are so disconnected from the reality of our consumption. My Mom grew up without running water and without electricity. They had to take all their garbage to the dump, pump all their water directly from the ground and there was a definite connection to what they used, what they needed and what they wasted. We all think we NEED to use all this stuff when really we are incredibly wasteful and resistant to the idea that we have to stop unnecessarily plowing through our water, electric, gas, etc. There's always an excuse, but the bottom line is we cannot support our demand with our supply. It's a heck of a lot easier to change the demand and increase the efficiency of use.

Did your Mom have to walk uphill both ways to school as well?

...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#29 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE (cw68 @ Mar 19 2009, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't sweat after being at the gym or a long run? I can guarantee you I need a shower after both of those. The fishes are in water all day. They're self-cleaning.

I don't understand why SoCal isn't looking into desalinization so we can keep more water up here for us AND the fishes.

Saving water is definitely the right thing to do, but are we really conserving for the fishes or are we conserving so the building industry can get back at tearing up new land again for some nice profits? How good is that for nature?

#30 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (Darthvader @ Mar 19 2009, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did your Mom have to walk uphill both ways to school as well?

Yep. In the snow.

But she did actually go 1st - 8th in a one room country school house. Had cardboard soles of her shoes because they didn't have the ration tickets to buy enough for all the kids as they grew out of them. And my Dad grew up in dirt-floor (hence the term dirt-poor) homes in West Virginia where my grandfather was a coal miner and a sharecropper.

Growing up pretty spoiled in the suburbs of Chicago in the 70s, I found the tales of their childhoods mesmerizing. What a different life and it definitely makes me grateful for so many things. While I used to think they were weird and off their rocker, as I get older I see the value in what they do. Keeping a bucket in the tub to catch the water running from the spout as it turns warm and using that water to water the plants isn't dumb.

It's like they say, "Waste not, want not."

Showing after working out I get. But do you showering the morning? Go to work, then work out, come home, shower and spend a few hours before bed, to just shower in the morning? I know people who shower when they come home from work just to freshen up. Do a little gardening, get your hands dirty, shower. Not clean up or wash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users