Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

What Did You Think Of The Library Petition?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 daveman

daveman

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:06 PM

Just wanted to know what people thought of the Library Petition. (It was in the Telegraph).

__DAVEMAN the insane caveman__

#2 Gwyneth

Gwyneth

Netizen

• Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:34 AM

It takes a lot for staff to go directly to the mayor and council with a petition like that. As the headline of the article said, they've taken the debate public. Now the issues are in the public eye. Looks like a vote of no confidence in the management to me.

#3 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:15 AM

What's the issue?

I didn't hear about it.

#4 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

Hey Dave and Gwenyth, welcome to MyFolsom.com!

Whats the issue going on at the library?

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#5 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:43 AM

Someone put the article in here so we all know what is going on.

Thanks.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#6 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:58 AM

The article isn't posted on their website :\
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#7 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:12 AM

mylo, then it must be in the Telegraph...
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#8 bibliophile

bibliophile

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(camay2327 @ Jun 19 2006, 11:12 AM) View Post

You can see a .pdf version of the front page of last week's Telegraph, but you cannot pull up the whole article, which was titled "Folsom's New Library Petition Takes Debate Public". I just called the Telegraph and they said there have been problems with the website and there is no text file available for the article. They are supposed to email it to me. I will copy it here if it comes through in copy/pasteable form.

#9 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE(camay2327 @ Jun 19 2006, 11:12 AM) View Post

The Telegraph is online, too. They just don't post articles to their site as quickly as I would like sad.gif

#10 Gwyneth

Gwyneth

Netizen

• Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:43 PM

Here is a link to the front page of last Wednesday's Telegraph:

http://folsomtelegra...T06142006a1.pdf

#11 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:08 PM

As far as I am concerned, the petition with 14 signatures doesn't mean anything. 14 signatures of people from the library staff, WOW. If anything is going to happen with a petition I would think it would have to come from the people of Folsom, residents, not library staff.

I do think that there should be a library director position and I think that a person with a library masters degree should be looked for and put in place.

#12 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:09 PM

So, uh, what petition?

#13 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:11 PM

Read the item that Gwyneth posted.

#14 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(camay2327 @ Jun 19 2006, 02:08 PM) View Post

As far as I am concerned, the petition with 14 signatures doesn't mean anything. 14 signatures of people from the library staff, WOW. If anything is going to happen with a petition I would think it would have to come from the people of Folsom, residents, not library staff.

I do think that there should be a library director position and I think that a person with a library masters degree should be looked for and put in place.

Maybe since they work there they see and know more about whats going on within the library and know the needs - more so then we can..... just a guess...

Camay, how can you want to blow them off and say their signatures don't mean anything? - especially since you appear to agree with the need for a director.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#15 bibliophile

bibliophile

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE(camay2327 @ Jun 19 2006, 02:08 PM) View Post

Both my daughter-in-law and best friend from college are librarians, one in So Cal, the other in Oregon. From what I hear, library staff are a very civic-oriented bunch ... champions of freedom of access to information, global literacy, free speech, life-long learning, etc

Could it be the staff feel that, as public servants entrusted with responsibility for preserving and promoting the above services, they are acting in the best interests of the public, the people, residents, citizens? The number 14 is relative; that's probably about how many people total work there. What would be the motivation otherwise?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users