17 replies to this topic

#1 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:15 PM

I'm curious where everyone buys diapers and wipes? Costco looks like they're pretty reasonable. Is that a good place to buy them?

What about other stuff?

#2 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:13 PM

Don't buy Costco wipes...they are a good deal...but they smell hideous! (IMO)
The generic Babies R Us brand is very good...nice smell & they feel soft.

Diapers-Sams/Costco(BTW-Swaddlers are the way to go!!)

Bottles-Don't buy a ton of 1 brand...and don't open until you use. We bought & sterilized a ton of 1 brand, and Dean HATED them...

There are also these cool new wipes by Johnson&Johnson, they are body wipes (I think that's what they are called)...They are nice when your child spits up and it gets on their skin...it takes the stinkiness away...especially the first few weeks when bathing is outta the question....And they are so super soft!!!(kinda pricey, but well worth it)

Also, I have learned the hard way, don't buy too much of 1 size...I have a TON of onesies and I only ended up using a handful of them since I was constantly doing laundry anyways.

If I think of anymore...I will let you know!

#3 rlsliger

rlsliger

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:22 PM

We use Costco for diapers and Target for wipes and other stuff. I agree with the previous post about using some of the stuff before you open it all. We've done that as well!

#4 OceanGirl

OceanGirl

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:The ocean, boogie boarding, biking, martial arts, camping, hiking, skiing- pretty much anything outdoors, family, pets

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:37 AM

We use Costco diapers and wipes and formula......and sometimes buy clothes there. Also buy clothes at Baby's R Us, Wal-Mart and Target. Oh yeah, and sometimes Old Navy. Wal-mart now carries some baby food and cereal as does Target. I make all the veggies here though.
I like to reminisce with people I don't know
~Steven Wright~

http://www.waterfallswest.com

#5 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 02:38 PM

We buy our baby stuffs in the local baby stuff stores, even try online baby stuff stores. That's where they have baby stuffs for babies. (Silly me) biggrin.gif

#6 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:45 PM

Target has ridiculous sales sometimes on diapers. I teased my wife for stocking up on so many but once I found out what they really cost (and since we have twins), I stopped. Something like 17 bucks a case... Just keep an eye out at Target, they are unadvertised. When they need to clear out some shelf space... they do it! I'll post here if I hear it. The twinmoms put a run on the place when the word is out!

#7 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE(OceanGirl @ Sep 3 2005, 10:37 AM)
We use Costco diapers and wipes and formula......and sometimes buy clothes there.

View Post

Ditto here. One stop shopping... smile.gif

I don't smell anything unusual with the Costco wipes... then again, they're wipes... I don't get close enough to smell them before or after wherever they're headed.... tongue.gif
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

California's Economy: Too Big To Fail?

#8 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:19 AM

John's right about those unadvertised Target sales. The best price in town.

Back in our diaper days, I would sometimes stumble across the sale and fill up the cart. Of course that meant that I would have to make a second trip into the store to purchase what was originally on the shopping list! Well worth it.

#9 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:08 PM

I think I'll try out Costco for diapers and wipes. Sounds like they have some good deals. Since I shop at Target, I'll have to keep an eye out for those unadvertised sales on diapers. Are they usually on the larger packages? Thanks for the tips!!!

We have a variety of bottles that were samples so I'm going to sterilize those. I've heard the Avent bottles are really good. Does anyone have experience with them? We have a few we got for free and then have a few more that we bought.

#10 Brett911

Brett911

Hall Of Famer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE(Erika @ Sep 5 2005, 05:08 PM)
I think I'll try out Costco for diapers and wipes.  Sounds like they have some good deals.  Since I shop at Target, I'll have to keep an eye out for those unadvertised sales on diapers.  Are they usually on the larger packages?  Thanks for the tips!!!

We have a variety of bottles that were samples so I'm going to sterilize those.  I've heard the Avent bottles are really good.  Does anyone have experience with them?  We have a few we got for free and then have a few more that we bought.

View Post

save your money. you can buy regular, traditional shaped bottles and have no issues.

user posted image

also, don't buy too many of the 4 oz bottles. we just used the 8/9 oz bottles so you don't have to buy a whole new set when your baby grows and drinks more.

as for sterilizing and boiling water and such for formula (if you use formula) I say save your time. a dishwasher is just fine (so long as your hot water temp hits 165f - the safe zone).

we used the same bottles for all three kids (plus added a few more as tme went on).

I recommend you buy the good ole cheap plastic tube shaped bottles (above) and some silicon nipples. Your baby won't know the differnce and will be equally as happy if you spend less on a bottle versus more.

But hey, it's your first and do as you wish. You only have one first.

You know my thoughts, save the money for other more important things, don't get wrapped up chasing the Jones'. It's just a wast of time and money.

so here's kinda how it goes. your first one will be your experiment and you will be over cautious. your second one will have more freedoms and you'll be like "he's fine don't fret it." your third one will be like is she bleeding? if not then don't worry about it, she's okay.

we also have a motto in our house, "If Costco doesn't sell it, you don't need it." I couldn't fathom how we would survive w/o Costco.
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." -- Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

#11 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(Brett911 @ Sep 5 2005, 08:30 PM)
we also have a motto in our house, "If Costco doesn't sell it, you don't need it."  I couldn't fathom how we would survive w/o Costco.

View Post

Hmm, that sounds like our motto... smile.gif
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

California's Economy: Too Big To Fail?

#12 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:46 AM

I joke because I'm already saying our second won't have it as good as the first. I'll just throw the bottles in the dishwasher then. smile.gif We have one of the cheap bottles so I'll be able to try that out and see if the baby likes it. I've heard that babies can be picky??

Remember...Costco carries lots of extras that you don't need. smile.gif It's hard to resist some of those items especially at Christmas.

#13 Talulah Belle

Talulah Belle

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:03 AM

I personally had great luck with Advent bottles and their breast pump. I also liked that I could add the "magic" top and easily transistion to a sippy cup with handles or not later on. My only, okay my husbands, only complaint was that you need to be careful when you screw on the lid. If you screw it too tight they can leak. My doctor and pediatritian reccomeded them as they seem to be very easy to go from breast to bottle. They are not cheap so give your samples a go and........just use the dishwasher. smile.gif

#14 Brett911

Brett911

Hall Of Famer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE(Erika @ Sep 6 2005, 09:46 AM)
I joke because I'm already saying our second won't have it as good as the first.  I'll just throw the bottles in the dishwasher then. smile.gif  We have one of the cheap bottles so I'll be able to try that out and see if the baby likes it.  I've heard that babies can be picky??

Remember...Costco carries lots of extras that you don't need. smile.gif  It's hard to resist some of those items especially at Christmas.

View Post

withut going too deep here, babies can be picky about bottle nipples. our daughter insisted on the shaped one versus the standard one. she refused all but the shaped one. she also preferred the clear silicon ones versus the other ones..

sit back, and enjoy the ride. your life is about to change forever. laugh as much as you can smile.gif

see the Nuk ones below for the nipples we use.
http://www.gerber.co...odcat?catid=445 user posted image

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." -- Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

#15 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(Brett911 @ Sep 6 2005, 11:01 AM)
withut going too deep here, babies can be picky about bottle nipples.  our daughter insisted on the shaped one versus the standard one.  she refused all but the shaped one.  she also preferred the clear silicon ones versus the other ones..

sit back, and enjoy the ride.  your life is about to change forever.  laugh as much as you can smile.gif

View Post

Ahh ha, I see. I've heard the first month described as h-e-l-l by A LOT of people. I guess if we know it will be awful then that may help a bit. I'm laughing now because I have a little idea of what we're going to be in for. I'm sure I won't be laughing in a month from now. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users