9 replies to this topic

#1 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:41 PM

My daughter is going to start college out of state in about two weeks.  She will be approximately 14 hours drive time from Folsom.  We have toured the campus, bought the necessary supplies ( I think, she is living in a dorm).  I think we are set.

My question to all those who have sent children off, how did it go?  She is so excited to go, but I think she is going to be homesick, though she swears she won't.  She is young (17, but will turn 18 in Sept.), but I just hope everything will go good for her.  She already has been in contact with her future roommate, and they seem to get along.  As my oldest child, this is new territory for me.  My husband says it will be just us with the hard time as we leave her after her first day of school.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

#2 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:08 PM

OMG, I can't believe she's going away to college! I shouldn't be surprised, however. My daughter starts high school this week. 

Hugs to you and hubby.

#3 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:10 PM

You will miss them very much....   You'll go by their room late at night, look through the door, the room will be empty and it will remind you that you miss them so very much.  During the day you'll wonder where they are right now, what they are doing....?  Are they wearing their bike helmet like they promised they would (I know my son never did...!).   I found that looking in on their debit card expenses for the day I was able to get an idea of what my son was up too....   Starbucks here, Pete's there, campus bookstore, Subway, Quiznos, and as they get older, bars and brewpubs.....  Every time I heard that a student died up at Chico State in the news, on their bike, from drinking too much, or drowned in the river I freaked out every time....!  Had to check the news in detail right away..... Relieved that it was not my son but grieving for the kid who did die and his or her family.....

Anyway, it's great though when they come back for a stay....!   You really look forward to that.  Over their years away you realize it is so good for them and they really come back educated, well adjusted, and just plain nice young adults...!  Going away and learning to live on their own is all part of their education.  When they get their degree you've done your job as a parent and it is up to them now...!    Regards, Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:37 PM

Congratulations on raising an independent daughter. Will she be homesick? Absolutely....and she'll reach out (call, text, want to come visit) when she wants and needs to.

Will you be lonely for her? Absolutely! But try to avoid the temptation to call/text constantly; she'll be starting a new chapter of life, finding her way, making new friends, balancing her schedule....and she'll contact you when she needs that connection.

It is very difficult to let go. Remind yourself that you did a good job, instilled good values and life lessons, and let that little birdie fly.

Easier said that done? ABSOLUTELY! It was very, very hard to say good-bye. I was thankful our daughter kept in touch almost every day, but other friends of mine didn't share the same experience with their young adults.

I wish you the best!

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#5 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:54 PM

My daughter, our only child, leaves for college on 8/27. There are times just the thought of it takes my breath away. I cannot comprehend that she will not be living here and yet I am so very happy and excited for her. She'll only be in the Bay Area so a two hour drive. She's taking her car with her and we've already talked about meeting in Davis for dinner and we have lots of Giants games to go to.

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#6 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:29 PM

My daughter, our only child, leaves for college on 8/27. There are times just the thought of it takes my breath away. I cannot comprehend that she will not be living here and yet I am so very happy and excited for her. She'll only be in the Bay Area so a two hour drive. She's taking her car with her and we've already talked about meeting in Davis for dinner and we have lots of Giants games to go to.

Your daughter is a doll, such a very special young woman. You two have reason to be so proud. I wish you the strength of a thousand horses during this tough time. Call me and come over whenever you need. :)

#7 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:37 AM

All the above feedback describe my experience to a tee when my Son left for college.    All I can add is look at it as a new chapter.   You will be busy working to pay for the tuition,  housing,  food, etc.    This will keep you occupied and you will adjust and be proud you can help with your Daughter's great life experience.    

#8 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:48 AM

Your daughter is a doll, such a very special young woman. You two have reason to be so proud. I wish you the strength of a thousand horses during this tough time. Call me and come over whenever you need. :)

Amethyst -- what CW said!

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#9 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.  CW, I can't believe your Nat is a freshman!  Time flies.

Another thing, as much as you calculate what it will cost, you will be amazed that you underestimated.  As we check in for orientation next week, I see all these little extra fees that I did not estimate.  Not a deal breaker, just be prepared.  Though I thought I did all my research, I will at least better prepared next time around.  Hopefully the next kiddo will stay somewhere close.

#10 giacomo

giacomo

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Wine, good food, goof friends traveling to Hawaii, soccer, 70's/80's music, , Lake Tahoe

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:07 PM

My son just graduated in 4 years and wow did the time go by fast. One thing we did every Sunday is we skyped him.  Made it seem like he was much closer than he actually was and time went by quicker (or at least it seemed that way).  our daughter is starting her Sophomore year and she had a fantastic dorm roommate which made her year that much more enjoyable, plus she joined a sorority (I was somewhat surprised she did but was her choice and glad she did). So hope your daughter gets a great roommate and will consider a sorority.  Good luck to her

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users