• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSara

SuperSara

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

Stop the Parker Development Company from building their proposed 56-unit Condominium Development off Silberhorn Drive!

1. Write to the City of Folsom (contact information below) to voice your opposition to this development. You must submit your written opposition before November 20. There is no limitation on written oppositions.

2. Sign a petition. Petitions are available for signature on the development sign on Silberhorn Drive.

3. Attend the Public meeting on November 20 in the city Council Chambers (50 Natoma Street) at 6:30pm to voice your opposition. The pros and cons will be discussed at the Public Meeting, public involvement will be restricted and the city will later make its decision.

Contact Parker Development Company at:

Kirk Bone

4525 Serrano Parkway

El Dorado Hills, CA 95762

(916) 939-4060

kbone@parkerdevco.com

Contact the City of Folsom at:

Steve Banks

50 Natoma Street,

Folsom, CA 95630

(916) 355-7385

sbanks@folsom.ca.us

#2 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:15 PM

Stop the Parker Development Company from building their proposed 56-unit Condominium Development off Silberhorn Drive!

1. Write to the City of Folsom (contact information below) to voice your opposition to this development. You must submit your written opposition before November 20. There is no limitation on written oppositions.

2. Sign a petition. Petitions are available for signature on the development sign on Silberhorn Drive.

3. Attend the Public meeting on November 20 in the city Council Chambers (50 Natoma Street) at 6:30pm to voice your opposition. The pros and cons will be discussed at the Public Meeting, public involvement will be restricted and the city will later make its decision.

Contact Parker Development Company at:

Kirk Bone

4525 Serrano Parkway

El Dorado Hills, CA 95762

(916) 939-4060

kbone@parkerdevco.com

Contact the City of Folsom at:

Steve Banks

50 Natoma Street,

Folsom, CA 95630

(916) 355-7385

sbanks@folsom.ca.us

Could you explain why we should oppose this project?

#3 LexingtonRez

LexingtonRez

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

Here is a facebook page on the subject.  All the relevant details and a good way to spread the word.  Most importantly, write to Steve Banks and the council to formally express opposition.  This must be done prior to November 20th and all email addresses are listed on the facebook page.

https://www.facebook...pParkwayVillage Please pass this link along to anyone you know who might be interested.

It seems that each new development is done with smaller and smaller lots with less open space.  The older areas of Folsom were typically nice sized large lots, now every new development is small congested neighborhoods.  This type of development does not add to the appeal of the city and does not add to the quality of life for current residents.  Decisions should be based upon the will of current residents, not future residents and certainly not the developers.  The fact is that high density developments are more profitable for the builders and that's why we are seeing this trend.  I have talked to many people in the Silberhorn area and no one wants to see these condos built here.  The City should be representing us, the current residents.

#4 LexingtonRez

LexingtonRez

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

For whatever reason, this meeting was moved to December 18th at 6:30PM.  According to the notice, written opposition must still be submitted prior to November 20th.  I don't think there will be much chance for public feedback at the meeting, so written opposition is very important, and here is why:

NOTICE REGARDING CHALLENGES TO DECISIONS

Pursuant to all applicable laws and regulations, including without limitation, California Government Code Section 65009 and or California Public Resources Code Section 21177, if you wish to challenge in court any of the above decisions (regarding planning, zoning and/or environmental decisions), you may be limited to raising only those issues you or someone else raised at the public hearing(s) described in this notice/agenda, or in written correspondence delivered to the City at, or prior to, the public hearing.

#5 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

IMHO, Steve Banks only gives a whit about the developers.

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

I don't know where my earlier comment went, but please forgive me if I am repeating myself.

when you go to the planning department, ask to see a copy of the approved plan for Empire Ranch at build-out.  I think you will be impressed at the density.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#7 LexingtonRez

LexingtonRez

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Do you mean the current Empire Ranch that was built over the last 10 years?  And, what do you mean impressed at the density?  Can you post the plan or is it only in hard copy at the planning department?

#8 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

56 condos? That's all? It doesn't look to be high density to me. The plan actually looks nicer than the Madrone condos, now that's high density!

Edit: I just looked at the plans. There are 4,5 & 6-plex units, and they are 2 stories. It seems like it won't be that significantly different in footprint from Rivage or Esplanade, although I think there may be less buildings/ units overall. I didn't see any 3 story buildings. The 3 stories is one of the things that makes Madrone such high density.

#9 LexingtonRez

LexingtonRez

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

The point really is that its zoned for 8 single family homes and is yet another multi-family unit being crammed into a single family neighborhood, fed by a small 2 lane road.  So, its not the units themselves that are the issue its that its not the right location, nor what the lot was originally zoned for.  And the larger question-who does this benefit, the residents of Folsom or the developers?

Drive by and look at the location and then picture 56 condos and 168 parking spaces nestled into the surrounding greenbelt area and you'll see its completely out of place.

Full details here:

https://www.facebook...pParkwayVillage

#10 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

I looked at the FB page. It sounds to me that the zoning has changed. I have a copy of the Folsom general plan on my laptop. I just did a search & found this: www.folsom2035.com/documents

#11 Bear

Bear

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Here's the really crazy part, Parker Development received a trails award earlier this year for the Parkway trails system. Seems like they should have to return the award if this complex is built.

"Parker Development Company recently received a National Trails Award for The Parkway at Blue Ravine, based on a nomination submitted by the City of Folsom and The Friends of Folsom Parkways.  Kirk Bone, Parker Development Company’s Director of Government Relations, accepted the award at the American Trails International Trails Symposium in Arizona."

http://www.folsom.ca...out=1&Entry=238

#12 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

The point really is that its zoned for 8 single family homes and is yet another multi-family unit being crammed into a single family neighborhood, fed by a small 2 lane road.  So, its not the units themselves that are the issue its that its not the right location, nor what the lot was originally zoned for.  And the larger question-who does this benefit, the residents of Folsom or the developers?

Drive by and look at the location and then picture 56 condos and 168 parking spaces nestled into the surrounding greenbelt area and you'll see its completely out of place.

Full details here:

https://www.facebook...pParkwayVillage

Thats 56 units? so about 100 cars more a day in that area (obviously not at the same time).

I don't see the problem.

#13 LexingtonRez

LexingtonRez

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

The question really is: do you see a benefit to existing residents in that area? That's what should matter. What good reason is there to grant the zoning variance? (Besides the obvious gain for the developers.)

Do you live in that neighborhood?

#14 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

I see a benefit to the outlying area, say the restaurants and small mom and pops. I see a value in adding the opportunity for diversity to the neighborhood. I see it as an opportunity for the city leaders to finally get that park built. I see it as an opportunity for more income for the city.  I see it as an opportunity for families to be get closer to mom and dads work in the city for those who aren't ready to take on a full sized Folsom style house mortgage.

Yeah, I see some positives. At this point I think they outweigh the negatives.  Maybe Im wrong though. Tell me just how do you think this will really impact your lifestyle in your home?

#15 LexingtonRez

LexingtonRez

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

The trouble with those types of justifications is that they are highly idealistic and not fact-based.  Therefore, they can be used to justify almost anything.  By that line of reasoning, we should bulldoze every bit of open space and fill it with multi story housing.

The truth is we have no idea where people will live and work.  For all we know mom and dad's work will be further away living here than before.  As of the 2010 census there were 24,951 households in Folsom.  So, I'm pretty sure 56 additional households (0.2%) won't even move the needle for the small mom and pop businesses.

Here's what we do know:

-There are currently about 550 homes that use Silberhorn as a primary ingress/egress street.  So, 56 homes represents a 10% increase on an already over-capacity residential street.  10% may not seem like a large increase--unless you happen to be the one living on that street, but why should they matter?

-The housing being proposed and its large paved parking lots and bright lighting absolutely does not fit in with the character and design of a single family home neighborhood.  Do you notice that these types of projects are always done after the developers have completed selling the new homes in the subdivision?  They're done with it at that point and just want to squeeze the last bits of profits out of the development.

-The only reason the city is looking to make this zoning variance is to make the lot more profitable for the developer-let's not kid ourselves.  It was zoned single family, in a single family neighborhood and that's what they should be forced to build--or nothing at all, that's fine too.  Their profitability on that lot is not our problem.

So, between this, the 3-story Section 8 subsidized apartment complex in Empire Ranch (conveniently only after all the homes had been sold), and the general trend toward Bay Area housing density in every new development, frankly I've had it.  I can only imagine what South of 50 will end up like.  If I wanted Bay Area housing density I'd move to the Bay Area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users