#1 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 03:27 PM

From the city of Folsom Newsletter dated May 2004:

Quote:

Gold star signs honor fallen vets

Folsom's fallen veterans who have streets named in their honor will soon get even more recognition.
The City council has approved a recommendation from the Ad Hoc Veterans Recognition committee to replace the old green signs with new larger red, white and blue ones with gold stars. The signs will be six inches longer to include the star and the words "Fallen Veteran." They should be installed by this summer.
About 12 streets are named for veterans, mostly World War II casualties.
At the request of some residents, the city is accepting donations toward the purchase of the signs. For information, call 355-7285.

Unquote:

----------

My wife and I went down to old fire station 35, next to city hall today, and gave a check to the City of Folsom for two of these signs.

They will be purchasing around 80 or so signs.

If you want to make a donation, or purchase a sign or two, contact Sandy Hilton at
916-355-7279 or e-mail her at
shilton@folsom.ca.us

The check should be made out to: City of Folsom (put a note somewhere on the check that it is to go toward a Gold Star Street Sign)

flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#2 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 05:20 PM

What a nice tribute to veterans! Thank you for sharing this information. We just sent an email to pledge a donation.

#3 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 06:09 PM

Thanks. The city was going to pay for them. I made a suggestion, I probabally was not the only one, that the people of Folsom might want to get behind this and help pay for them. I hope a lot of people respond.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#4 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:21 PM

You guys have a great heart. Hats off to you! usa.gif

#5 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:23 AM

camay2327 - is there an email address so that I can send in donations? usa.gif

#6 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 08:38 AM

Cyber, contact Sandy at her phone or e-mail address below and ask her.

Thanks for the interest.

Cal

916-355-7279
or e-mail her at shilton@folsom.ca.us

#7 jagayman

jagayman

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 04:52 PM

Which streets are named after fallen vets?

-jason.
Jason Gayman
Folsom Weather Webmaster

#8 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:26 PM

The original deceased veterans' street names from WW2 are:

Duchow, Price, Needles, Dean, Rumsey, Henderson, McKiernan, Hoxsie, Wales, Stafford, and Glenn.

These streets are in the "central district".

I believe these are the ones to be designated for Gold Star Sign replacement

#9 jagayman

jagayman

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 08:11 PM

Thanks, Terry.

Does anyone know if this affects the lighted signs on the signals or just the street signs at intersections.

I expect a lighted sign upgrade would be much costlier.

-jason.
Jason Gayman
Folsom Weather Webmaster

#10 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 10:39 AM

These are just the street signs on the corners. No lighted signs.

#11 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 02:18 PM

In todays The Folsom Telegraph, page A4, there is an article by ex mayor Jack Kipp about the Streets honor ultimate sacrifice.

To long to type in but hope everyone gets the Folsom Telegraph. If not let me know and I will put the article in here.

The Gold Star street signs, from what he says, should be

Duchow Way

Rumsey Way

Dean Way

Price Way

Needles Way

Wales drive

Henderson Way (is named for the three Henderson brothers killed during the war)

Glenn Drive ( is named after the three Glenn Brothers, who served during the war.

There may be others, not sure.

#12 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:26 AM

My wife and I went to the city council meeting last night and at the end of the meeting they said that the first two Gold Star Street signs were going to be put up this morning (Wednesday) at 10:00 AM.

The first two Gold Star Street signs were put up at the corner of Wales and McKiernan.

The mayor, city manager and many others were there, including reporters.

Go by and check them out, these are just the first two of many to go up.

If you want to donate money toward these signs, contact Sandy Hilton at
916-355-7279 or email her at shilton@folsom.ca.us

We challange each and everyone to donate toward these signs. They are to honor our fallen vererans of Folsom.

Thanks

Cal

flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif

#13 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:04 AM

I live in Briggs Ranch, and I saw one of these signs. it looked great.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#14 user8

user8

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:41 PM

There is also a Farley Ct. sign in Prairie Oaks

#15 Prairie Oaks Agitator

Prairie Oaks Agitator

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:27 PM

I didn't know there was one in Prairie Oaks, hooray!

Take a drive on Wales from Riley to City Hall to see the signs at almost every intersection--they look GREAT! I was inspired to make a donation, so Thanks to Cal for the info, and I will meet your challenge. This is such a good idea and a really nice honor to our Vetrans, and I'm pleased the City has acted so fast to make it happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users