Photo
- - - - -

Folsom Almost 100% Dry; No Rain In Sight. Shocking!

water nearly gone folsom dry city with no water

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#16 triplekickflip

triplekickflip

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:45 PM

i wonder if mars looked the same way before it dried up as well

#17 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:07 PM

i wonder if mars looked the same way before it dried up as well

Wake up people!  Look what we did to Mars!  We need to change our ways before we do it to Earth too!  (I needed to get that off my chest)

Someone brought this up before, but it truly is time to build the Auburn Dam.

#18 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:12 PM

3. Look at the weather forecast !!  RAIN ON WEDS!!!

Great !!

Then that's more water that will be released downstream to SAVE THE DELTA !!

I realize that residential use is 10%...what % is assigned to "SAVING THE DELTA" (i.e. - releasing perfectly good water to save those precious salmon, smelt, and God know what else the good-hearted "we know best" Leftists want to *save* down in the Delta region)?

Come on, folks. Focus.

#19 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:14 PM

That's dumb.

Many of us wonder why it's Folsom's responsibility to help solve the *salmon, smelt, and salinity* problems in the Delta? Who the hell assigned that solely to Folsom Lake? Just think about the gazillion of gallons of perfectly good, fresh water we've released...and to be replaced with what? Hey, it's not like the drought just *snuck up on us* !!

But we have idiots running the show...and they run the rest of Calif as well. Bunch of morons.

But do you seem to take the same amount of delight in it?

-Robert

#20 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:18 PM

But do you seem to take the same amount of delight in it?

-Robert

Not at all. The only satisfaction I may get is proving that Leftists/Liberals/Progressives/Democrats don't know what the hell they're doing. And that's not a broad-brush accusation...it's very specific.

Are you sure you're not *projecting* ??

Hmmm....

#21 andy

andy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:51 PM

That's dumb.

Many of us wonder why it's Folsom's responsibility to help solve the *salmon, smelt, and salinity* problems in the Delta? Who the hell assigned that solely to Folsom Lake? Just think about the gazillion of gallons of perfectly good, fresh water we've released...and to be replaced with what? Hey, it's not like the drought just *snuck up on us* !!

But we have idiots running the show...and they run the rest of Calif as well. Bunch of morons.

It's not Folsom's responsibility but it is the federal government's responsibility - they built the dam and the lake.  they don't belong to Folsom.

The three most damaging things to happen to the Delta and its fish in the last 500 years were the contruction of the Folsom, Shasta, and Oroville dams.  Without proper management of the water held back by those three dams. the Delta would be toast, and so would billions in agriculture as well as the environment.  Pushing water downstream to control salinity and provide a place for migratory wildlife is how things evolved over millions of years.  The dams disrupted all of that and are managed in a way to mitigate some of that damage.

All this might stress you out during a time of drought, but Folsom's water supply is likely not at significant risk...like any other valuable resource now in greater demand, water just has to be managed more carefully.  And the water you want to hold back is water desperately needed by a farmer and his employees in a downstream city, or a fisherman dependent on the salmon population...you get the idea...lots of competing water needs.

You migth think all this is stupid, but water users downstream might object to the idea fish should go extinct and communities and farmland abandoned so Folsom can water its lawns more than twice a week.

#22 JohhnyCash

JohhnyCash

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:14 PM

You know,  most of the discussion about the lake level that I see taking place is from the perspective that this is FOLSOM lake and why does FOLSOM have to solve every one else water problems.  This discussion is as if it is from the perspective that the city of Folsom owns the lake.  Let me point out very clearly that Folsom reservoir is part of the Central Valley project that is owned and operated by the United States Bureau of Reclamation.   Essentially the lake is owned and operated by the federal government with an allotment GIVEN to the city of Folsom.  The City of Folsom has zero control over the flow of water out of the lake.  Period, ever.

Complaining that the Folsom government is somehow screwing up because the lake level is low is a complaint coming from ignorance.

It's tiring to watch day in and day out.  The only thing I dread more is the soon to be discussions about the government's lack of planning for flood control this winter.

#23 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 05:03 AM

You know,  most of the discussion about the lake level that I see taking place is from the perspective that this is FOLSOM lake and why does FOLSOM have to solve every one else water problems.  This discussion is as if it is from the perspective that the city of Folsom owns the lake.  Let me point out very clearly that Folsom reservoir is part of the Central Valley project that is owned and operated by the United States Bureau of Reclamation.   Essentially the lake is owned and operated by the federal government with an allotment GIVEN to the city of Folsom.  The City of Folsom has zero control over the flow of water out of the lake.  Period, ever.

Complaining that the Folsom government is somehow screwing up because the lake level is low is a complaint coming from ignorance.

It's tiring to watch day in and day out.  The only thing I dread more is the soon to be discussions about the government's lack of planning for flood control this winter.

I actually agree with most of your post.  The level of the lake is out of the City of Folsom's control.  The portrayal that it was evil Folsom homeowners watering landscaping that caused the low lake level is ridiculous.

I agree Folsom hasn't used its full water rights, but I don't see how the local government can ignore the fact that the way the lake is currently operated they may never have access to those full water rights because of increasing needs downstream.  Folsom isn't the only city in the area that is increasing its population.  

What is unique about Folsom is there is no alternate source of water supply should this drought continue.  Our only water supply is surface water from the lake.  Adding population without resolving what happens in dry years is putting every tap in Folsom at risk, not just the new homes and businesses S50. 

#24 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:57 AM

The ignorance *might* come from people like you who think it's OK for Folsom Govt to go ahead with the massive S50 project without a solid water plan.

As someone else said, "I don't see how the local government can ignore the fact that the way the lake is currently operated they may never have access to those full water rights because of increasing needs downstream".

"What is unique about Folsom is there is no alternate source of water supply should this drought continue. Our only water supply is surface water from the lake. Adding population without resolving what happens in dry years is putting every tap in Folsom at risk, not just the new homes and businesses S50".

OK, now re-read that. Learn it. Memorize it.

THAT is the real issue here.

You're welcome.

#25 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:06 AM

You migth think all this is stupid, but water users downstream might object to the idea fish should go extinct and communities and farmland abandoned so Folsom can water its lawns more than twice a week.

No, I think it is stupid to ignore the realities of CA rainfall and population growth. Your argument is based on the premise that less water will make for abandoned farmland and extinct fish. It's not a given that either of those will happen. It's also far more likely that with ADEQUATE water storage,  lawns, fish and farmers can all be accommodated.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#26 maestro

maestro

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:40 AM

to Marcus Yasutake, Folsom city water/sewer director,

Your quote in 10 28 15  Telegraph newspaper:

"If you look at the lake as a static resource and if it were full to capacity, the city's use at build-out is less than 4 % of the lake's capacity, said Yasutake."

Are you serious about using an empty hell-hole as a Guideline for Water Security in city of Folsom?

COMMENT:   USBR changed their capacity estimate.  Using the new reduced capacity estimate, the reservoir is currently holding sufficient water to maintain the approximately one million users supplied for several months.  That is SEVERAL MONTHs of known water supply.    

Isn't it crazy to talk about sharing those last few real drops with the huge area south of 50?    

Who cares the city is entitled to imaginary water and can sell or give residential zoning rights to double, treble, or quadruple the # of residents -- and still not provide the mandatory Measure W second, and NEW, water supply.    

Who can use imaginary water?   

Who relies upon an archaic "Rights" system from 165 years ago?     When do the lies stop?

BTW, with due respect to USBR and their faulty gauges, I do NOT believe their current water estimate is correct --   but inflated to prevent panic.   I also would like photos of their 10 bajillion dollar barges to save us.

#27 JohhnyCash

JohhnyCash

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:12 PM

It's raining.  Oooops..... didn't see that one coming.

JC

#28 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:49 AM

JC

JC

Everyone saw that coming.  At least it waited until after Halloween this year.  Let's hope it keeps coming, and that it's a rainy and snowy November, December, January, etc.

Let's also hope they let the lake fill.  Looks like they bumped up the outflow. 

#29 JohhnyCash

JohhnyCash

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:14 AM

Everyone except Maestro!  What's the title of this thread?

#30 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:26 AM

Everyone except Maestro!  What's the title of this thread?

Oh, I see what you're saying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users