17 replies to this topic

#1 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:56 AM

Good stuff here...scroll down to "The Best Bicycle Crash of All Time" !!

http://ihatebicyclists.com/

Wow! A new record: thread goes from absolutely nothing to do with bicyclists to bicyclist bashing in only one reply!

OP: SARA looses appeal over paved ADA/walking path along Lake Natoma and writes letter saying judges are wrong.

Next post:  environmentalists/NIMBYs are anti-progress, whatever that means...and, BTW, all bicyclists are a#%$Ss.

Third Post: "ihatebicyclists" web site, one that glorifies doing harm to bicyclists and revels in their misfortunes, self-inflicted or otherwise (while covering their behind by frequently saying they would never actually do harm to a cyclist)  is linked as "good stuff".  

That is some impressive digression.  I think some of you need to look into your anger issues.

#2 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:57 AM

Looks like another anti progress, enviro activist, nimby post.....    I'm all for the improvements...!   But I still won't use the trails for hiking or walking because the bikers are such a....holes....!  What I'd really like to see them do is put speed bumps every 20 feet so the a....hole bikers can't go past you at 30 mph,  just inches from your elbow all the while insulting you verbally as they scoot away to safety.  I really feel like bringing a baseball bat the next time I go for a walk down there but that will only lead to trouble......But that is for another thread.   Chris

Just have to note, I've been walking on the trails for months, haven't encountered any ahole riders. I think that's become more myth then reality. (I ride too so I have both perspectives). No offense but it seems more and more the people who say the won't use the trails are the ones complaining about bicyclists the most. How would they know what's going on out there if they're never there to see it in person?

Svzr2FS.jpg

#3 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:20 PM

Third Post: "ihatebicyclists" web site, one that glorifies doing harm to bicyclists and revels in their misfortunes

The only people doing harm to bicyclists are the bicyclists themselves with some of their stupidity on the roads. And BTW, the vast majority of people who have checked out this thread have clicked on the link I posted earlier (ihatebicyclists.com) and they have been amused by the hilarious stories and commentary by the author...so maybe you need a *sense of humor* adjustment.

And I will admit to TruthSeeker that I can't comment on the bicyclists on the trails, as I don't use them...but I will comment on the bicyclists on our roads and streets...those people are maniacs of the highest order. Most of them seem to ride with clueless, smug, arrogant abandon, daring the 2-ton cars around them to get close to them. These people must have a death wish. They can't be normal people. God knows most of 'em look like they need a cheeseburger, for Christ's sake. No wonder they're always mad...if I were riding a bike munching on twigs and flavorless granola, I'd be pissed off too.

#4 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:23 PM

Just setting up a stand alone topic to all to join in as deleting related posts from non related topic... 

Geez People... keep things on topic and do not take the bait others string out... 

I know it is hard- especially some of the posts are over the top and NEED a response...

Luckily you have us to sometimes move them to a new related topic...

Cheers

F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#5 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:44 PM

Just an opinion from one that walks a lot of trails ( many single track but also paved ) at around 15 miles per week (30 miles normally a wIeek but  alot of my hiking/walking is off trail dirt only ). I have really never had a bicyclist issue except they often do not return our friendly "good morning" or "good Day"  salutation ( but alot do) ....  I have had a few that seemed to show that they are bothered we are walking in THEIR lane, but we wave them off as the persons they are... ( Walkers left, Riders move) ...

On the road I have rarely ( and I pay attention) had many riders try to take advantage of my car... :) 

And- I have NEVER met a bad attitude Rider when talking to them...( it might be those that will talk are the good guys ) :))

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#6 New Girl

New Girl

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:16 PM

I have a question as a walker. Folsom trails state to keep to the left. Is it the same everywhere (walking on dirt paths around lake in particular)? Or are the rules different depending where you walk?

#7 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:10 PM

I have a question as a walker. Folsom trails state to keep to the left. Is it the same everywhere (walking on dirt paths around lake in particular)? Or are the rules different depending where you walk?

Take a look at this photo; looks like a free for all to me!

http://www.folsom.ca...spx?blobid=2109

Woo hoo! :BREAKDANCE: :lmaosmiley: :CRAZYLOCO:

#8 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:17 PM

Generally, there is no "side" to stay on when using single-track trails. The general rule is that everyone yields to horses and bicyclists yield to all other users (there are occasional signs in the state park, and htey used to sign the paved path that way).  More specifically, here's what the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA) tells mountain bikers:

Yield Appropriately: Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you're coming — a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists should yield to other non-motorized trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. In general, strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.

BTW, while it is generally consistent in the Sacramento area and is used in many places, the walk left guidance is not universal, although it is based on the law for pedestrians walking on the road without sidewalks -- walk facing traffic. There are many multi-use paths in the US where the trail rules say everyone stay right.

Just setting up a stand alone topic to all to join in as deleting related posts from non related topic... 

Geez People... keep things on topic and do not take the bait others string out... 

I know it is hard- especially some of the posts are over the top and NEED a response...

Luckily you have us to sometimes move them to a new related topic...

Cheers

F500

The last thing I wanted to do was to start another topic inviting more bicyclist bashing. Although so far, not so terrible.

#9 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

Normal protocol would be to walk , run on the left in all cases... Obviously a lot of walkers do not know this and are sometimes obstinate about having to move to the right to pass one or a couple of walkers properly navigating the path.

Many paved trails even are marked to keep to the left as walkers. This is not only a local thing...

-Margaret Mead-

#10 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

Take a look at this photo; looks like a free for all to me!

http://www.folsom.ca...spx?blobid=2109

Woo hoo! :BREAKDANCE: :lmaosmiley: :CRAZYLOCO:

It's not a photo. Its a rendering in which someone took artistic license, or didn't want to take the effort to get the various trail users pointed in the right direction.

#11 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:36 PM

City of Folsom:

https://www.folsom.c...px?blobid=17412

American River Parkway:

http://arpf.org/pdf_files/ARPmap.pdf

http://www.regionalp...gsMarch2015.pdf

There's probably more I'm missing. I got yelled at (by adults and kids alike) for walking/jogging on the left on the Humbug/Willow Creek trail . . . haven't used that one in YEARS now.

It's not a photo. Its a rendering in which someone took artistic license, or didn't want to take the effort to get the various trail users pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for making the distinction, Tony.  I was trying to be sarcastic; not my strong suit.

#12 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:58 PM

I've found the riders on single track pathways to be much more polite, but then again, it's a totally different type of riding. Mountain bicyclists are a different breed than road bicyclists..sure you can go fast, but no where near as fast as on the road or wide trail, and it's technical in a totally different way. Just my 2 cents as an ex-mtn biker.

I havent spent a lot of time out on the ARP, I prefer to walk on the dirt (pavement & gravel is much harder on my joints). So I might as well head on to the single tracks. I just step to the side, into the grass if needed on the single track. Or if I see them coming, and I usually do, stop at a wider area in the trail until they pass.

The author of that website (http://ihatebicyclists.com/) has some serious issues, but the kangaroo video was kinda cool. I didnt find "The Best Bicycle Crash of All Time" because there was too much hate to scroll past. I don't have time for that. 

#13 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:34 PM

I didnt find "The Best Bicycle Crash of All Time" because there was too much hate to scroll past.

Well, in my defense I did say to *scroll down* to the bike crash video. Hey, the guy didn't die or anything...don't worry.

Additionally, I don't *hate* bicyclists...I just think way too many of them have an *attitude*.

#14 New Girl

New Girl

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for the replies.  It is a shame there is no universal code because it does get pretty scary walking the trials sometimes, even when you keep to the left.

#15 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:18 AM

I've been riding the trails for over a decade. I've rarely seen any problems with cyclists vs pedestrians. However there are two things that do worry me.

1) Dog walkers with 10' long leashes spread across the trail. 

2) Walkers who walk side by side especially in groups covering the width of the trail.

-Robert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users