Guns mass shooting

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#1 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

Another horrific mass shooting - this time at an Elementary School in Connecticut... 26 or 27 dead including 18 children ages 5-10 years old.

These shootings are happening weekly now- but this one is one of the worst due to the very young children that were killed.

When will this stop ?

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#2 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

Live coverage http://www.cbsnews.c...ews-live-video/

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#3 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

It's horrific. Also in the news a man in China stabbed and injured 22 children.

#4 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

While I support the Second Amendment, I would really like a solution that would keep guns out of the crazy's hands.

My prayers go out to all those affected.

Hug your child today when they get home from school.

#5 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

and when they go to school daily...

-Margaret Mead-

#6 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Sadly, I don't think it will. When you combine the culture that the entertainment industry has created around gun use (music, movies and video games) with a self-indulgent society, you will always have incidents like this.
Plus, although I have no data to support it, I believe people are closer to their breaking point, and smaller things are causing people to go completely nuts. Whereas in past times people would turn their despair inward, I think today's psyche wants to inflict that pain outward... to "make people pay" for their situation in life. Because heaven forbid they are responsible for themselves. Sound familiar? Even our government fosters that by minimizing personal responsibility in favor of the state, AND "making others pay." I don't think guns are necessarily the problem either. I think it is the warped perspective of society and what it means to be a member of that society.
Remember that chinese guy that assaulted 22 kids with a knife, or that muslim that drove his SUV through crowds of people? Where there is a will to attempt mayhem, the insane will find a way.
As one of 70 million responsible gun owners, I certainly don't want to be lumped in with the kooks. Just as a responsible driver, I don't want to be lumped in with the asshats on parade.
One must also consider the non-effect of gun laws. New Jersey and Conn. have pretty strict laws (including no guns on campus) which did ZERO to prevent this. Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, and yet more citizens die there from gun violence than in Afghanistan.
It's a tragedy no doubt, and I cannot even begin to imagine the suffering of the families.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#7 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

While I support the Second Amendment, I would really like a solution that would keep guns out of the crazy's hands.

My prayers go out to all those affected.

From what I read on one report, he was under the required age to purchase a gun. So it was most likely obtained illegally. No gun control law would have stopped that, unless you eradicate all guns in the world. And we know that ain't happening.

We need better crazy control!
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#8 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

From what I read on one report, he was under the required age to purchase a gun. So it was most likely obtained illegally. No gun control law would have stopped that, unless you eradicate all guns in the world. And we know that ain't happening.

We need better crazy control!

Exactly. What makes these young men snap and hurt children or people who haven't done any harm to them?

#9 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

So incredibly sad...my heart is broken for those poor children and their parents.

#10 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Exactly. What makes these young men snap and hurt children or people who haven't done any harm to them?

The shooters mother ( which he killed today as well) was a teacher at the school in the past. So possibly it was a lashing out about something in his past. It is the connection that can cause this type of outlandish behavior.

-Margaret Mead-

#11 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Sadly, I don't think it will. When you combine the culture that the entertainment industry has created around gun use (music, movies and video games) with a self-indulgent society, you will always have incidents like this.
Plus, although I have no data to support it, I believe people are closer to their breaking point, and smaller things are causing people to go completely nuts. Whereas in past times people would turn their despair inward, I think today's psyche wants to inflict that pain outward... to "make people pay" for their situation in life. Because heaven forbid they are responsible for themselves. Sound familiar? Even our government fosters that by minimizing personal responsibility in favor of the state, AND "making others pay." I don't think guns are necessarily the problem either. I think it is the warped perspective of society and what it means to be a member of that society.
Remember that chinese guy that assaulted 22 kids with a knife, or that muslim that drove his SUV through crowds of people? Where there is a will to attempt mayhem, the insane will find a way.
As one of 70 million responsible gun owners, I certainly don't want to be lumped in with the kooks. Just as a responsible driver, I don't want to be lumped in with the asshats on parade.
One must also consider the non-effect of gun laws. New Jersey and Conn. have pretty strict laws (including no guns on campus) which did ZERO to prevent this. Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, and yet more citizens die there from gun violence than in Afghanistan.
It's a tragedy no doubt, and I cannot even begin to imagine the suffering of the families.

You have it right- the 99.999 % of gun owners are responsible citizens - it is the 0.001% that have created the bad situation that will likely cause more gun controls - although it will not fix the situations like this -
Recent news says that most of the kids that were killed were in his mothers previous classroom. Turns out two bodies have been found at the mothers house and they are checking up on the father.

I am glad the principal turned on the announcement system as this likely saved many more ...

I currently think about the kids and parents that survived that saw all this and how it will affect them in the future. And obviously all those parents that lost a child today and all the families that lost a member...

-Margaret Mead-

#12 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Yeah, I just saw an interview with a profiler and a psychologist. They said it was a classic case of a psychotic break with reality. It was pretty fascinating and thought provoking, but the bottom line is that I don't think there is a way to predict this kind of behavior in many cases. With so many people in the world, there are bound to be a certain percentage that are just plain crazy, and a percentage that just need a nudge to go over the edge.

I just hope we can all focus on the loss, and not on the blame. There will be plenty of time in the future to try to figure out if there was anything that could have been done.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#13 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

I think that video games where killing another person is the goal are horrible and that anyone who plays them (and especially those who allow their kids to play them) is an idiot. Strong words, yes, but it is how I feel. Every time the trigger of a gun aimed at another is pulled, even in fantasyland, the shooter becomes more and more desensitized to the act. This becomes a huge problem for society if that shooter becomes sick and twisted.

I'm not against hunting or target shooting, and I don't want to ban guns (though I'm good with banning personal possession of assault rifles and the like) but I HATE GUNS.

#14 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

The types of guns that can rapidly fire many rounds should be banned for personal possession. There does not seem to be any legitimate reason why an individual needs to own this type of weapon.

Also, a detailed background check should be required to buy a gun. If you have any history of mental illness or mental treatment, forget it. All too often when these mass shootings occur, everyone who knew the shooter says, "Oh yeah, he was crazy" so why does this information not surface when the person tries to buy a gun?? (NPR is reporting that the shooter today bought the guns legally and did have a history of mental illness).

I don't find the knife analogy persuasive. Guns are far more deadly than knives (as evidenced by the fact that the stabbing article tabulates injuries, not deaths). Moreover, bystanders have a better chance of disabling a knife-wielder than a shooter.

If we want to prevent this type of tragedy, we need to get our heads out of our *sses and stop with the pablum like "Guns don't kill people, people do..." and "All countries have gun violence..." and "the best defense against shooters is if more good people have guns!" The facts prove otherwise.

#15 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Guns, mass shooting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users