#16 folsom15

folsom15

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(mrdavex @ Nov 29 2007, 11:47 AM) View Post
Air freight? Don't most of the imported Chinese goods come via cargo ship, particularly those that spill their fuel into the San Francisco Bay?

Those aren't really "packages" in the sense that I was referring to, and the person I was quoting. Last time I bought something off the internet, it came from Hong Kong, and it was by air. Actually got here quick, and it probably came through Oakland or some other hub to get to me. Not Mather.
As far as the ship oil spill, the pilot at the wheel was a local guy, not the ship's captain, so we can't blame that on the Chinese.

#17 folsom15

folsom15

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(mrdavex @ Nov 29 2007, 11:47 AM) View Post
Air freight? Don't most of the imported Chinese goods come via cargo ship, particularly those that spill their fuel into the San Francisco Bay?

Those aren't really "packages" in the sense that I was referring to, and the person I was quoting. Last time I bought something off the internet, it came from Hong Kong, and it was by air. Actually got here quick, and it probably came through Oakland or some other hub to get to me. Not Mather.
As far as the ship oil spill, the pilot at the wheel was a local guy, not the ship's captain, so we can't blame that on the Chinese.

#18 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:04 PM

order out to Afghanistan for some 20 year old Stingers, they have em handy and cheap.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#19 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(folsom15 @ Nov 29 2007, 12:39 PM) View Post
Last time I bought something off the internet, it came from Hong Kong, and it was by air.

Was it one of those products advertised on an informercial (i.e. the "Magic Bullet")? I've never ordered something directly from abroad.

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#20 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:14 AM

So--how is this lawsuit going?

Anyone heard anything?

#21 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

I just received the following email from Bill & Pat.  Please read it.  I got it today.

Hi All,

Well here we go. Supervisor MacGlashan has said both the Mather Master Plan and the EIR are scheduled to be heard and voted on August 12, at 2 p.m (see below). We need to pack the chamber and let them know we want to keep our and our childrens quality of life as it is. Not to mention property values and sleep.
It appears due to the revalation of the state Fair Political Practices Commission launcheing a review of Supervisor Peters-McCuen, she will recuse herself on the Mather vote. It appears Supervisor MacGlashan will vote no. That leaves 3 Supervisors to decide if Mather becomes a cargo hub with a Cat IIIb ILS and a future runway extension to support the many more flights at a cost of more than $25 million in addition to the on going $1 million per year operational losses.
We need to contact them and let them know we want them to vote NO on the Mather Master Plan and the EIR to stop the expansion of Mather airport and move the cargo flights back to International airport. There will be no loss of jobs or taxes to the county.

Please contact:
Don Nottili   nottolid@saccounty.net  916-874-5465
Jimmy Yee  jyee@saccounty.net  916-874-5481
Phil Serna   supervisorserna@saccounty.net  916-874-5485

WE NEED AT LEAST ONE OF THEM TO VOTE "NO".  

Bill

Please be advised that the Sacramento County Board of Supervisor’s will convene a hearing regarding the Mather Airport Master Plan on Tuesday, August 12, 2014 at 2 p.m.  The hearing is open to the public and will be held in the Sacramento County Administration Building, Board of Supervisors Chambers.  The address is 700 H Street, Room 1450, Sacramento, CA. 

Regards,

Celia Coronado

Deputy Chief of Staff

Supervisor Roberta MacGlashan, District 4

700 H Street, Room 2450

Sacramento CA 95814

Phone: 916-874-5491

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#22 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

We need to contact them and let them know we want them to vote NO on the Mather Master Plan and the EIR to stop the expansion of Mather airport and move the cargo flights back to International airport. There will be no loss of jobs or taxes to the county.

Whoever wrote that for the email is either misinformed or lying. Air cargo will never be going back to SMF. Where UPS was located out there is all gone. That area has all been developed. Every other cargo carrier is gone also except FedEX. FedEx in the late 90's had plans to be out at Mather also, but along with some logistical issues, no cat 3 radar to land in the fog, and Airborne getting the big building that FedEx wanted, it put a halt to their move. The county doesn't want FedEx out there at SMF. They have future plans to develop the ramp where FedEx is located. Was supposed to be another terminal there from my understanding. Its going to be a long while until another terminal is built, so they will put up with FedEx leasing the property, but there is certainly no way they are going to invite every cargo carrier back. 

#23 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

If only they would just ban flights between 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM, most people would be OK with it.  But no one seems to be about to implement that (or make it stick).

#24 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

I might be OK with it too if they didn't fly over Folsom proper. If they fly South of Folsom/50 I could care less.

When they build South of 50 they will have to live with it.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#25 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

They should be forced to use some of the stringent noise mitigation measures used at John Wayne airport:

http://www.examiner....-for-passengers

http://www.ocair.com...aviation/noise/

If you've ever flown in or out here, you'll notice it is completely surrounded by development, both commercial and residential, and many of which are very affluent communities (Irvine, Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, heck all of coastal OC).  During a takeoff, the plane will usually go westward, take a very steep ascent to 600 ft, and then cut engine power until the plane is over the ocean where it can go high power and then turn North or South.  The Southwest pilots always used to give that pre-takeoff warning to passengers, but I guess everyone's gotten used to it since they haven't made it in the last few flights I've taken out of there.  

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#26 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

Bill,

I have confirmed with staff that they have received over 300 letters on the draft EIR and they are in the process of preparing the responses to those letters as well as the documents for the hearing.  Those documents are scheduled to be posted online no later than August 1st

Once I have confirmation that this has occurred, I will forward the link to you. 

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Regards, 

Celia Coronado

Deputy Chief of Staff

Supervisor Roberta MacGlashan, District 4

700 H Street, Room 2450

Sacramento CA 95814

Phone: 916-874-5491

#27 maestro

maestro

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

Ironic, Folsom city council pushes for the Elk Grove to El Dorado Hills connector highway, and sues the people who cause the need for it ---   the airport and commercial.

Still, the champion-lawsuit is the city council suing the rest of the world, claiming it was kosher to give our water to S50.

#28 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE(wrabbit @ Nov 24 2007, 06:48 PM) View Post
Folsom sues county over Mather cargo-plane pact
Folsom officials announced the filing of a lawsuit Wednesday to reverse Sacramento County's Oct. 23 agreement expanding DHL Express cargo operations at Mather Airport.

The lawsuit requests a temporary restraining order. That order would halt the county's implementation of its new lease amendment with Midwest Development Co. and its sub-tenant, DHL Express, said Kerry Miller, Folsom city manager in a telephone interview Wednesday afternoon.

The Board of Supervisors approved that agreement even though county environmental officials are just now attempting to gauge the impacts of a proposed Mather Airport Master Plan.

That plan envisions possibly dramatic increases in Mather Airport cargo operations - much to dismay of officials and residents in Folsom, El Dorado Hills and other areas affected by jet cargo plane "overflights."
Miller said that for many residents, those overflights are already too low, too loud and too frequent, especially during the hours between midnight and 6 a.m.

The recently approved lease amendment would expand the DHL Mather facility by more that 35,000 square-feet of paved area. It would include expanded employee parking, more parking for big rig trucks and new storage areas for ground support equipment, according to the city's evaluation.

City officials are perturbed because all those DHL improvements are discussed in the draft master plan now supposedly being evaluated.

"It's almost uncanny," Miller said. "It feels like a piecemeal approach to implementation of the master plan."

Miller also called the county's approval of the lease amendment "non-compliant with the required environmental review process."

The Folsom news release notes that the lawsuit has been filed against the Sacramento County Airport System, Sacramento County and the Board of Supervisors.

Karen Doron, a spokeswoman for the airport system, said her officials were too busy dealing with the holiday travel crunch to comment on the city's announcement about the lawsuit.

She also noted that an attorney in the county counsel's office would respond but that official did not answer two calls for comment by late Wednesday afternoon.

http://www.sacbee.co...ory/509866.html

Hahaha

I live RIGHT next to Mather field (off old placerville/routier) just a block from the airport or less. I BARELY ever hear it.

That's because your not in the flight path. Big difference.

#29 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

They should be forced to use some of the stringent noise mitigation measures used at John Wayne airport:

http://www.examiner....-for-passengers

http://www.ocair.com...aviation/noise/

If you've ever flown in or out here, you'll notice it is completely surrounded by development, both commercial and residential, and many of which are very affluent communities (Irvine, Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, heck all of coastal OC).  During a takeoff, the plane will usually go westward, take a very steep ascent to 600 ft, and then cut engine power until the plane is over the ocean where it can go high power and then turn North or South.  The Southwest pilots always used to give that pre-takeoff warning to passengers, but I guess everyone's gotten used to it since they haven't made it in the last few flights I've taken out of there.  

Its not a takeoff problem, but rather a landing approach issue.  Planes rarely takeoff eastbound out of Mather as winds typically blow from west to east.  John Wayne takeoff procedures would do nothing for Folsom/EDH as all the planes out of Mather typically takeoff towards the west.

#30 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

I might be OK with it too if they didn't fly over Folsom proper. If they fly South of Folsom/50 I could care less.

When they build South of 50 they will have to live with it.

There has already been efforts to get landing approaches to fly over SO50 however this has been for the most part rejected, I assume by the FAA.  Go onto Google earth or maps and draw a line from the Mather runway eastward and it nearly intersects the Palladio.  The FAA doesn't like non-straight approach paths which SO50 would obviously be

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users