38 replies to this topic

#31 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

Its not a takeoff problem, but rather a landing approach issue.  Planes rarely takeoff eastbound out of Mather as winds typically blow from west to east.  John Wayne takeoff procedures would do nothing for Folsom/EDH as all the planes out of Mather typically takeoff towards the west.

Yes, Mather would not have a noise issue with takeoff  (Yet, until Sac County develops around that area).  However, John Wayne Airport is landlocked, and all planes land over developed communities.  We always like to play the game when driving on the I-405 if a jet will land directly over us. 

A few years ago, the Sac County Airport system was proposing a noise mitigation measure known as STAR that would use the same flight paths, but an improved landing technique that was supposed to be quieter: http://www.folsom.ca...px?blobid=15319

It looks like the City did approve of this measure: http://ci.folsom.ca....bid=15554#page=  though several residents were in opposition wanting to cease all air cargo operations at Mather: http://www.folsomtel...nkles-residents

Does anyone know if this was ever implemented, and if so, do you notice any difference.

At a minimum, we should maintain a moratorium on late night takeoffs and landings, like they do at John Wayne.  

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#32 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

Yes, Mather would not have a noise issue with takeoff  (Yet, until Sac County develops around that area).  However, John Wayne Airport is landlocked, and all planes land over developed communities.  We always like to play the game when driving on the I-405 if a jet will land directly over us. 

A few years ago, the Sac County Airport system was proposing a noise mitigation measure known as STAR that would use the same flight paths, but an improved landing technique that was supposed to be quieter: http://www.folsom.ca...px?blobid=15319

It looks like the City did approve of this measure: http://ci.folsom.ca....bid=15554#page=  though several residents were in opposition wanting to cease all air cargo operations at Mather: http://www.folsomtel...nkles-residents

Does anyone know if this was ever implemented, and if so, do you notice any difference.

At a minimum, we should maintain a moratorium on late night takeoffs and landings, like they do at John Wayne.  

I live along the flight path and haven't noticed the planes as much as I did a couple years ago. Not sure if I'm just used to it or there was a change to the arrival flight path.

I tend to look up anytime I hear a plane and don't find myself doing so very often and it's mostly when the military planes are flying around.  There were also a couple arrivals that would come in at the same time every night (9:15pm was one of them) and I haven't noticed it in a long time.

If anything, the @#$! sport bikes that like to make a lot of noise around 10:30-11:00 most nights are far more annoying.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#33 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

I live along the flight path and haven't noticed the planes as much as I did a couple years ago. Not sure if I'm just used to it or there was a change to the arrival flight path.

I tend to look up anytime I hear a plane and don't find myself doing so very often and it's mostly when the military planes are flying around.  There were also a couple arrivals that would come in at the same time every night (9:15pm was one of them) and I haven't noticed it in a long time.

If anything, the @#$! sport bikes that like to make a lot of noise around 10:30-11:00 most nights are far more annoying.

I live along the flight path too, and so far am not bothered by the planes.  Definitely agree about the bikes.  I also speculate there is fewer demand for UPS Air shipments, due to more folks choosing the free online ground shipping option, and retailers like Amazon opening distribution centers around the populated areas, with out state's first one opened in Tracy this past fall. 

FWIW, I grew up in Vegas living near the flight path for the McCarran Airport.  It's the only airport in the Vegas area for commercial passenger plus cargo traffic, and so flight volume was much higher than Mather (at least 1 landing per 15 mins).  Plus it used to be the night hub for America West airlines.  I had no trouble sleeping.  It was also cool the day I got to see Air Force One on its landing approach. 

--
-Robert X. Cringely

#34 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

I live along the flight path too, and so far am not bothered by the planes.  Definitely agree about the bikes.  I also speculate there is fewer demand for UPS Air shipments, due to more folks choosing the free online ground shipping option, and retailers like Amazon opening distribution centers around the populated areas, with out state's first one opened in Tracy this past fall. 

FWIW, I grew up in Vegas living near the flight path for the McCarran Airport.  It's the only airport in the Vegas area for commercial passenger plus cargo traffic, and so flight volume was much higher than Mather (at least 1 landing per 15 mins).  Plus it used to be the night hub for America West airlines.  I had no trouble sleeping.  It was also cool the day I got to see Air Force One on its landing approach. 

That would be cool! I lived in a flight path of O'Hare Airport while growing up, when it was the busiest airport in the world. It was annoying, but you get used to it. The only time it was really a problem was in the summer when you couldn't hear someone talking when a plane was directly overhead. Sometimes while on the phone with friends who lived north of me they would say, "Hold on, I won't be able to hear you for a minute, a plane is going overhead" and then I'd have to repeat it a couple of minutes later as it went over my house. I always thought it was pretty cool when I could see my house from the plane.

#35 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

It's hard to get used to a loud landing every twenty minutes from 3:00 AM to 6:00 AM.  It's all about the frequency and timing.

#36 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

Agree, the motorcycles  (sport bikes and Harley's) along E. Bidwell in front of the Palladio are definitely more annoying than any of the cargo planes.  This has become a problem since Toby Keith's opened as it tends to draw most of the local motorcycle crowd.  The way the Palladio was built and no tress or barrier along E. Bidwell doesn't help.  The noise from the bikes echoes off of the buildings and parking structure of the Paladio and amplifies the sound all along Talus ridge.

#37 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

I just received the following email from Bill & Pat.  Please read it.  I got it today.

Hi All,

Well here we go. Supervisor MacGlashan has said both the Mather Master Plan and the EIR are scheduled to be heard and voted on August 12, at 2 p.m (see below). We need to pack the chamber and let them know we want to keep our and our childrens quality of life as it is. Not to mention property values and sleep.
It appears due to the revalation of the state Fair Political Practices Commission launcheing a review of Supervisor Peters-McCuen, she will recuse herself on the Mather vote. It appears Supervisor MacGlashan will vote no. That leaves 3 Supervisors to decide if Mather becomes a cargo hub with a Cat IIIb ILS and a future runway extension to support the many more flights at a cost of more than $25 million in addition to the on going $1 million per year operational losses.
We need to contact them and let them know we want them to vote NO on the Mather Master Plan and the EIR to stop the expansion of Mather airport and move the cargo flights back to International airport. There will be no loss of jobs or taxes to the county.

Please contact:
Don Nottili   nottolid@saccounty.net  916-874-5465
Jimmy Yee  jyee@saccounty.net  916-874-5481
Phil Serna   supervisorserna@saccounty.net  916-874-5485

WE NEED AT LEAST ONE OF THEM TO VOTE "NO".  

Bill

Please be advised that the Sacramento County Board of Supervisor’s will convene a hearing regarding the Mather Airport Master Plan on Tuesday, August 12, 2014 at 2 p.m.  The hearing is open to the public and will be held in the Sacramento County Administration Building, Board of Supervisors Chambers.  The address is 700 H Street, Room 1450, Sacramento, CA. 

Regards,

Celia Coronado

Deputy Chief of Staff

Supervisor Roberta MacGlashan, District 4

700 H Street, Room 2450

Sacramento CA 95814

Phone: 916-874-5491

I sent Bill the following email in regards to the meeting scheduled for August 12th at 2 PM.

Bill, is there any way that the City of Folsom could run a bus, two, or more if necessary to this event? We could try and get people to show up at city hall
or somewhere else, pack the busses and get a free trip into this event and get
a free bus ride back home.
Any chance of this happening?

I haven't heard back yet.

Cal

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#38 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

I sent Bill the following email in regards to the meeting scheduled for August 12th at 2 PM.

Bill, is there any way that the City of Folsom could run a bus, two, or more if necessary to this event? We could try and get people to show up at city hall
or somewhere else, pack the busses and get a free trip into this event and get
a free bus ride back home.
Any chance of this happening?

I haven't heard back yet.

Cal

Bill, Pat, where are you.  What about a BUS?

Cal

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#39 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

FYI: http://www.sacbee.co...oves-cargo.html

Sacramento County Supervisors approved a plan Tuesday to expand air cargo operations at Mather Airport, despite widespread opposition from neighboring communities.

Supervisors voted 3-1 for a master plan that calls for $107 million in improvements for the former U.S. Air Force base turned over to the county about 20 years ago. The improvements will bring the airport up to current standards for cargo and general aviation, and include lengthening a runway and adding technology that will make it easier to land in fog.

The plan envisions 2 percent annual growth in cargo traffic at the airport.

See the complete story by following the link

Here's another article from last week prior to the meeting:  http://www.sacbee.co...rs-mathers.html

One notable paragraph:

The county has abandoned hopes that Mather could become a “regional cargo hub” as envisioned earlier, because of major changes in the industry, according to the report. Increased security regulations, consolidation in the industry and the economic recession reduced demand for air cargo, and companies have increasingly relied on ground transportation. Heavy use of email has undercut bulk mail shipments.

--
-Robert X. Cringely

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users