10 replies to this topic

#1 Molly

Molly

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

Just wondering if Comcast and AT&T are the only internet providers in Folsom.

I discovered today that Comcast has been completely defrauding us for at least 8 months, and I don't trust AT&T to be any better. I'll try to make a long story short, but several different Comcast reps have told us we were under contract until September 2014 because we added NFL Network during our original 24 month term that was set to end in September 2012 (even though I had been assured by the rep who added NFL Network for me that it would not extend my contract).

I called today to get the exact end date, because our bill is ridiculously expensive. The first rep told me we weren't under contract, which was obviously contrary to what the last two reps had told us over the past several months, so she transferred me to billing to get more information. The billing rep first said that we actually had a 36 month contract ending in September 2015. I was furious now and asked for the call to be escalated to a supervisor and said that I would need documentation that we'd ever agreed to 36 months. While I was on hold the rep magically "refreshed my account" and discovered that we hadn't in fact been under contract since September 2012. Oh, and conveniently for Comcast, there are supposedly no records of calls from us since 2011. I had no reason to believe that they would be so deceitful as to not document customer contact, so I've never kept records of calls (lesson learned).

I've filed a complaint with the FCC and plan to send a certified letter or something to formally complain to Comcast, but in the meantime we need to get out of their service. I guess I'll do AT&T if that's the only option (no contract for sure), but I'm hoping there's a local provider. Anyone know?

#2 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

Commie-cast screwed with me too. Signed up for "extra" high speed internet a few years ago after dumping AT&T and it went good for a while, the bill was $69.95 a month and the speeds were decent.  After about a year or so watching the price go up to 77.95 a month I began to notice the speeds got slower, I was supposed to be getting 50mbps but in reality was getting only 28.  I called and asked what the what is going on.  Get this - they said for only another $2 a month I could get 50mb higher speeds and also cable with HBO.  Seriously? I don't need cable, just give me what I initially signed up for... what a crock of bs. I hate comcast with a passion but worse yet is AT&T.  I'd rather use tin cans and a string for internet then go back to AT&T.

I wish there were alternative DSL vendors out there..... I've dreamed of having Google Fiber, but that probably won't ever happen in Folsom.

Svzr2FS.jpg

#3 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

I have been satisfied with DSL provided by AT&T. DishNetwork as DishNet, but I have never checked into it. I have assumed it is expensive.

#4 Molly

Molly

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the replies, looks like AT&T with no contract is our only option unless one of the small providers expands here. 

#5 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

I also have AT&T DSL & am fine with their service. It's way better than when I had dial up.

Direct TV has internet. I personally wouldn't use it...but it is available.

#6 jello

jello

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

I am also looking for alternatives to the internet service I currently have, and have found 2 possible options besides Comcast and AT&T: Wave Broadband, and SureWest (CCI). Both of their websites say they cover Folsom, but I have not actually contacted a sales rep to verify, and haven't really done much research at all other than identify them as possible alternatives. Wave's website is http://www.wavebroadband.com/ , and SureWest's is https://www.surewest.com/internet/ .

#7 jello

jello

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

A quick update to my post. I called both SureWest (CCI) and Wave to see if they offer service in Folsom. Wave is a cable-based service and told me that they can't offer service in areas where Comcast is also offered, so they are not available in Folsom. SureWest/CCI said that they offer service in some parts of Folsom, but not where I live yet (Prairie Oaks). He said to check back next year and maybe they will have service in my neighborhood by then. My guess is that they offer service in the American River portion of Folsom, but not on this side of the river yet, but that is just speculation.

#8 Molly

Molly

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

A quick update to my post. I called both SureWest (CCI) and Wave to see if they offer service in Folsom. Wave is a cable-based service and told me that they can't offer service in areas where Comcast is also offered, so they are not available in Folsom. SureWest/CCI said that they offer service in some parts of Folsom, but not where I live yet (Prairie Oaks). He said to check back next year and maybe they will have service in my neighborhood by then. My guess is that they offer service in the American River portion of Folsom, but not on this side of the river yet, but that is just speculation.

Thanks! I had also found Wave and was disappointed to hear that they weren't available in Folsom. The rep there told me to try Frontier, but according to their website they don't serve Folsom. I'll try SureWest just in case, but we're in Natoma Station, so if Prairie Oaks isn't covered, I'm guessing we're not either. Hopefully Frontier or SureWest will expand here soon!

#9 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

The Telecomm industry can only be accurately described using four-letter words.  It's an oligopoly that thrives on overcharging, deceit, and automated monthly payments that are confusing and hard to cancel.  That is the business model, and competition is effectively non-existent.

The only effective approach is to threaten to quit whichever company you're with (it's just a threat, because the grass is not greener elsewhere), and to demand a lower special rate for 12 months.  Then do the same again in another 12 months.  I've found that this works.  Otherwise they just raise the rate without telling you on your bill.

Can you tell that I loathe the Telecomm industry?  It's actually one industry that I'd like to see taken public, even with all the baggage of government.

#10 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

Now that I'm working from home more & more, ATT isn't cutting it anymore. 18 mb is the fastest speed available for my address, and I'm sure the reality is much slower..checking now. Awesome, the speedtest doesn't even work when I'm connected to work...   I see comcast offers much higher speeds, so I will be checking them out.

#11 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

Now that I'm working from home more & more, ATT isn't cutting it anymore. 18 mb is the fastest speed available for my address, and I'm sure the reality is much slower..checking now. Awesome, the speedtest doesn't even work when I'm connected to work...   I see comcast offers much higher speeds, so I will be checking them out.

HI Cali,

I assume you are connecting to work via a VPN, like Cisco Any Connect.  If so, your Speedtest results do not accurately reflect your true internet connection speeds or may not even work.  I'll use my work laptop as an example.

Connecting directly to the net, no VPN, via U-Verse: 22.7 Mbps Download, 4.8 Mbps upload.

Now same computer, log in to my employer's VPN and run speed test again.  First, the ping time takes much longer.  Then after waiting longer, voila:  DL Speed: 3.86 MBps, Up: 3.81 MBps.

Why the discrepancy?  Because the speedtest now has to hop to your employer's ISP, then (hopefully) through a few of the employer's firewalls and proxies (which might even block the speedtest) in their datacenter, and then to the VPN server, which then goes via a VPN tunnel over your ISP to your computer, between the server and your local VPN app.  To allow the most number of employees to log in via VPN, the employer usually caps the connection speed of the VPN.  So even though I have 22 MB service from AT&T, getting a faster data plan won't increase my connection speed to my employer.  It is up to the employer to invest in upgrading their VPN equipment, if you want a faster speed.

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users