• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

We have many of these bike lanes that end in a dotted line coming up to a medium size intersection. What's the law or etiquette here? Is a motorist turning right on red permitted to turn in front of a cyclist waiting to go straight on green? Is the cyclist supposed to get up on the sidewalk and use the crossing signals?
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

From the DMV:

Bicycle Lanes

A bicycle lane is a designated traffic lane for bicyclists, marked by a solid white line, typically breaking into a dotted line ending before it reaches the corner. Different from a simple white line showing the edge of the road, a bicycle lane follows specific width requirements and is clearly marked as a bike lane.
  • Treat a bicycle lane the same as other traffic lanes.
  • Do not turn into the lane if there is a bicyclist in the bike lane.
  • Do not obstruct bicycle traffic by reducing the width required for safe bicycle passage, typically 3 to 4 feet.
When you are making a right turn and are within 200 feet of the corner or other driveway entrance, you must enter the bicycle lane only after ensuring there is no bicycle traffic, and then make the turn. Do not drive in the bicycle lane at any other time.
You may park in a bicycle lane if your vehicle does not block a bicyclist and/or there is not a "No Parking" sign posted.
Drivers of motorized bicycles should use bicycle lanes carefully to avoid collisions with bicyclists.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 jpow5

jpow5

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

I find it difficult to judge how far "within 200 ft of the corner" really is. Do the dotted lines indicate 200 feet?

#4 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Often in Folsom I see cyclists in a bike lane at a red; and vehicles honking for a car to turn on a red as well. I cringe and hope the cyclist and vehicle do not collide as a light turns from red to green.

And sadly, those are the only cyclists in Folsom that do stop at a red light. :CRAZYLOCO:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users