• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:54 PM

I'm just listening to KYMX online now, and I'm getting even more nostalgic, especially since some of these songs remind me of when I lived up there. Just for fun I thought I'd share how I remember some of the stations I listened to as a kid back then. Maybe some of you guys have memories or can share some stuff I might've forgotten about.

92.5 "today's hits/yesterday's favorites, Y92" - basically equal to an adult contemporary station today but better. Billy Joel, Rod Stewart, Bolton, 80s new wave and (then) new songs like Boyz II Men and Paula Abdul. I also remember some of the deejays, like Dana Hess and the morning guys Paul & Phil.

93.7 "93 rock" - mainstream hard rock. I heard grunge and 80s hair bands, along with some more pop/rock like Genesis mixed in. This was definitely the "coolest" station that I remember alot of kids or younger adult guys listening to.

96.1 "KYMX soft rock". Pretty much like any soft rock station, but had the really soft stuff they wouldn't play these days, like Kenny G.

96.9 "The Eagle" - classic rock some with a harder edge - Beatles and Stones and stuff up to the mid 80s, which is amazing, considering it was just like 7 years ago then. They had one slogan that went "Turn it up loud...and p*ss off your kids!" which I didn't understand at the time. Surprisingly it seems just about the same station today! smile.gif

101.1 - oldies (my dad listened to it, but I liked some of it). They did Elvis and other 50s music that's probably too old today. "Under the Boardwalk" by the Drifters, etc.

106.5 - some alternative station, alot of it went over my head since it was more underground or edgy bands I didn't know or care about at the time. But they had some 80s too, like Tears for Fears.

107.9 - "Arrow 108" - classic rock like The Eagle, but not as heavy and a bit more old fashioned. I didn't know it back then, but alot of the music was from the 70s...like Fleetwood Mac and ELO.

#2 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

I think all of those are gone now, 93 Rock is now 98 Rock though. Is the Eagle still around? I was an intern for Arrow 108/100.5 The Zone in the mid 90s... ah, memories...

#3 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (john @ Jan 25 2010, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think all of those are gone now, 93 Rock is now 98 Rock though. Is the Eagle still around? I was an intern for Arrow 108/100.5 The Zone in the mid 90s... ah, memories...

Right on. smile.gif I've majored in theatre arts and I think it would be a heck of an experience working at a radio station - was it pretty fun for you? I remember The Zone, wasn't that adult alternative? I think I heard "Strong Enough" by Sheryl Crow on there for the first time... awesome song too.

Yeah, I just listened to some Eagle this morning too... seems pretty much the same, lol.

#4 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:20 PM

We lost KWOD just last year, I miss it
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#5 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

it was fun being an intern for a few years but I learned pretty quickly it was a pretty volatile industry - I'm glad I did it though because it made me realize what profession I did not want to be in. Don't get me wrong, it was a lot of fun - I just knew I'd probably be gone quickly once a format changed.

#6 Pool Runner

Pool Runner

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (Oldschooler81 @ Jan 25 2010, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right on. smile.gif I've majored in theatre arts and I think it would be a heck of an experience working at a radio station - was it pretty fun for you? I remember The Zone, wasn't that adult alternative? I think I heard "Strong Enough" by Sheryl Crow on there for the first time... awesome song too.

Yeah, I just listened to some Eagle this morning too... seems pretty much the same, lol.

I miss KWOD also, especially the KWOD of the nineties. Memories.. . .
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

http://www.weservicepools.com/

#7 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

Still have your KPOP listener ID card?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users