30 replies to this topic

#1 lovinfolsom

lovinfolsom

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:11 PM

I've been hearing how tough it is to get to schools these days (e.g. parents camping out to make sure to get on wait list.) At what age do we enroll kids in kindergarten? How far in advance can we enroll them - the year before they start? Thank you!

#2 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:11 PM

I'd love to know the answer to that one.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

#3 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:37 PM

Are you talking about your local public school?

The school will have an enrollment day in March (call your local school in January to get the exact date and to find out when you can pick up an enrollment packet). If your child will turn 5 prior to Dec. 2 of that year, then they are eligible for kindergarten. Some parents decide to wait a year and enroll them when they are 6.

Every year, people stand in line to turn in their enrollment forms. The school claims that standing in line makes no difference as to whether you get the session you requested, but parents always believe it does. I think the truth is somewhere in between -- it helps to be in line early, but the school reserves the right to switch kids around to belance genders, etc.

#4 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:35 AM

BCF,

If I understand your post correctly, that would mean that any child turning 5 next year (before Dec. 2nd) would have to be registered in March for the beginning of public school classes in September. Is that correct?
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

IPB Image

#5 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:50 AM

Yes.

"Have to" may be a little strong. I mean, if you move into an area in June or you are just lame and miss the March deadline, presumably the school district must accomodate you in some way (though possibly not at your local school).

Bottom line: if you have a kid who will turn 5 in 2006 (before Dec. 2), then call your local elementary school in January and find out when you can get the enrollment packet. Also find out the date in March when you are supposed to go in person and turn in the packet. Then, if it is important to you what session/teacher you get (i.e., morning or afternoon), plan to show up a little early and stand in line. At Natoma Station, the first parents got in line around an hour before registration started. I heard at Oak Chan, some parents were in line 8 hours early.

If you are attempting to "transfer" from your neighborhood school to a school in a different neighborhood, then you definitely better get in line on the early side, because that is first-come, first-served. I believe that explains why the Oak Chan line started so early.

#6 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE(Cloud9 @ Aug 2 2005, 09:35 AM)
for the beginning of public school classes in September.  Is that correct?

View Post

Oh, and for the uninitiated, school starts early here! This year school starts on Aug. 15.

We were caught off guard by the early start last year and had to change some vacation plans. (On the east coast, school begins after Labor Day).

#7 billsfan

billsfan

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:10 PM

Actually some schools do give registration order preference for the desired kindergarten session (starting time), since some times are more popular. That's why the line at Oak Chan starts so early. If to many people register for the same time, the later registrants may have to take their 2nd or 3rd choice. That might not be a problem for some, but for others, work schedules may make certain times necessary...

#8 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:13 PM

Morning or afternoon session? Aug 15th? Must be a California thing.... what's the scoop on this stuff?

NY schools have one session runs from morning to early afternoon, and it starts after labor day.

What are the hours for morning? afternoon? Is it the same teachers? classes? subject matter?

Do you mean to tell me all kids on the west coast only go to school half a day? blink.gif
-- Albert Einstein--

IPB Image

#9 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:20 PM

Folsom kids go to school the least amount of any kids you've ever heard of! Seriously, this has been a matter of some controversy here in Folsom.

Kindergarten is 3 1/2 hours -- either 7:50 am to 11:15, or 11:17 to 2:38 p.m. That isn't too bad -- although it should be pointed out that many other districts in California (and elsewhere) are providing full-day kindergarten. --Personally, I think 3 1/2 hours is enough for this age group, but I find the inequity in instructional time very troubling.

1st and 2nd graders go for 5 hours. They are either early-birds (approximately 8:30 to 1:30) or late birds (9:30 to 2:30). --Can you imagine getting out of school at 1:30?! When I was a kid, we could only dream of that!

Don't even ask me about all the minimum days, super-minimum days, multi-day field trips, etc.

#10 billsfan

billsfan

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:17 PM

And some schools have a slip schedule. Explaining that at this hour is too hard, but suffice to say that in this community we have many many kindergarteners starting every year. In the soccer league we have just started, in the 6 and under league there are approximately 30 teams with 10 kids each - 300 kids in the 5-6 year old range in our city. Calling Folsom a family town is obvious - I'd like to know what our ratio of kids is compared to other cities in the country....

#11 MemphisGirl

MemphisGirl

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 06:34 AM

It's not just California. My kids start school on the 8th!!!!! They also get out earlier for summer. This year their last day of school was May 26th! It was such a bummer because it rained the whole first month of their summer vacation! dry.gif

#12 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ Aug 2 2005, 09:20 PM)
Folsom kids go to school the least amount of any kids you've ever heard of!  Seriously, this has been a matter of some controversy here in Folsom. 

Kindergarten is 3 1/2 hours -- either 7:50 am to 11:15, or 11:17 to 2:38 p.m.  That isn't too bad -- although it should be pointed out that many other districts in California (and elsewhere) are providing full-day kindergarten.  --Personally, I think 3 1/2 hours is enough for this age group, but I find the inequity in instructional time very troubling.   

1st and 2nd graders go for 5 hours.  They are either early-birds (approximately 8:30 to 1:30) or late birds (9:30 to 2:30).  --Can you imagine getting out of school at 1:30?!  When I was a kid, we could only dream of that!

Don't even ask me about all the minimum days, super-minimum days, multi-day field trips, etc.

View Post

3.5hrs!? I always wondered why there were so many kids attending the Phoenix school.

Would you happen to know how long 3rd and 4th graders go for? Hmm, something to think about. Maybe it time for private school.
-- Albert Einstein--

IPB Image

#13 s0479

s0479

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE(Cloud9 @ Aug 3 2005, 09:29 AM)
3.5hrs!?  I always wondered why there were so many kids attending the Phoenix school.

Would you happen to know how long 3rd and 4th graders go for?  Hmm, something to think about.  Maybe it time for private school.

View Post

8:25-2:37

#14 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE(s0479 @ Aug 3 2005, 10:15 AM)
8:25-2:37

View Post

Thanks! That's not too bad. That's kind of what I remember as a kid. 8-3.

Maybe we just go to Phoenix for kindergarten or through 2nd grade...
-- Albert Einstein--

IPB Image

#15 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:02 PM

Would you select a school based solely on start/end times??
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users