34 replies to this topic

#1 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

I'm disgusted by Ralph Lauren's arrogance. I know lots of people are upset about the uniforms he designed for the U.S. Olympic Team being made in China, but I'm far more upset about him having the arrogance to put his logo in white prominently on the breast of their jackets. Like its all about his brand. What a jerk!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

I'm disgusted by Ralph Lauren's arrogance. I know lots of people are upset about the uniforms he designed for the U.S. Olympic Team being made in China, but I'm far more upset about him having the arrogance to put his logo in white prominently on the breast of their jackets. Like its all about his brand. What a jerk!

I agree. It should be about the athletes.
I've never found anything in that designer label I look good in anyway. I remember when buying a designer label used to mean higher quality and not having to sew buttons back on after only one wearing. Can we seriously not manufacture uniforms and clothing here?

#3 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

The Olympics has always been about promoting an agenda. After all, why should they have formal uniforms in the first place? The Dallas Cowboys don't have preppy jackets to wear off the field. In the 20th century the governments were dominant and it was counting medals between us and Germany, then the USSR. Now corporations are ascendant and pro athletes posing as amateurs wear clothes with logos - you can probably track this back to the end of the Cold War and the early 1990's like the Dream Team. It's true in the NCAA, too. It's not arrogance, they're just the company that bid the highest. This is hardly the biggest controversy around these Olympics. The Indians threatening boycott over the Dow stadium wrap was much bigger.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#4 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

I still think Lauren didn't need to write his name on them in white like that. I doubt any other country's uniforms look like that. While the olympics have become increasingly advertising opportunity-driven, it is still supposed to be the big event that brings the entire world together in peace and good sportsmanship and also brings a country together to cheer for their own as a team. There is nothing team-oriented about a damn logo; that's all about the big "ME"! Lauren would have still had everyone talking about his design without waving his polo horse brand like a dang flag. Lauren missed the whole point and actually did his brand a disservice.

#5 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

The Olympics has always been about promoting an agenda. After all, why should they have formal uniforms in the first place? The Dallas Cowboys don't have preppy jackets to wear off the field. In the 20th century the governments were dominant and it was counting medals between us and Germany, then the USSR. Now corporations are ascendant and pro athletes posing as amateurs wear clothes with logos - you can probably track this back to the end of the Cold War and the early 1990's like the Dream Team. It's true in the NCAA, too. It's not arrogance, they're just the company that bid the highest. This is hardly the biggest controversy around these Olympics. The Indians threatening boycott over the Dow stadium wrap was much bigger.

India - 7 medals in the last 40 years, will they really be missed?

#6 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

He didn't order them on his own or approve the design.

Someone on the US Olympic committee did. So boycott them....oh I guess we can't....

#7 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:26 AM

Someone on the US Olympic committee did. So boycott them....oh I guess we can't....

Wha? Then who designed them?

#8 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

Like Dude said, I can't believe Lauren wouldn't approve his own design, especially for something as prominent as this.

#9 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

Like Dude said, I can't believe Lauren wouldn't approve his own design, especially for something as prominent as this.

Yeah that statement didn't make any sense, as if the designer was not involved.... Come on, is Ralphie trying to weasel out of the blame ? He screwed up, big time

#10 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Just read that the US does not contribute any money to the Olympic teams, they are funded entirely by donations and it turns out Ralph Lauren is a huge donor so I guess he has a right to put his logo on the uniforms and have them made in China, he paid for it all himself to help out the team.

Never knew before that the US doesn't help finance our own olympic team

#11 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

those hats make them look kinda weird, can they keep the blazers and dump the hats or replace with baseball caps

#12 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

Just read that the US does not contribute any money to the Olympic teams, they are funded entirely by donations and it turns out Ralph Lauren is a huge donor so I guess he has a right to put his logo on the uniforms and have them made in China, he paid for it all himself to help out the team.

Never knew before that the US doesn't help finance our own olympic team

It is nice he sponsored the team and that he's now promising future uniforms will be made in the U.S.
I imagine he does benefit some from sales of Ralph Lauren Team USA clothing line, like the $165 fleece hoodie for sale at Bloomingdales or the full-zip fleece jacket at Macy's that just went on sale from $165 down to $123.99. Wonder where all of that is made?

#13 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

I'm sure they were made in China too. :(

It is nice he sponsored the team and that he's now promising future uniforms will be made in the U.S.
I imagine he does benefit some from sales of Ralph Lauren Team USA clothing line, like the $165 fleece hoodie for sale at Bloomingdales or the full-zip fleece jacket at Macy's that just went on sale from $165 down to $123.99. Wonder where all of that is made?

#14 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

This thread is a good reminder how great our lives are when we have time to complain about things like this.

#15 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

This thread is a good reminder how great our lives are when we have time to complain about things like this.

Point taken.

Maybe we'd have less time to complain if business picked up. Jobs going overseas doesn't help that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users