ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (ChipShot @ Jan 2 2009, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, that's serious.

Those covers are designed to mask the plate # in the event that one of those red-light cameras takes a picture of your daughter running a red light...your daughter was no-doubt aware of that, so I don't really have much sympathy for her and the $128 ticket.

I see many vehicles with those covers...wish the cops would ticket every single one of them.

BTW, why are you paying your daughter's ticket ?? wacko.gif

If that's what those covers are for -- to try to get out of a red-light ticket -- then that's not right to put one on. I don't really think that would work anyway.

The only useful purpose I could see for the clear cover is to prevent registration tag theft. The best way to do that though is make sure you scrape off the previous year's tag before you put the new one on and don't just put one tag on top of the other on your license plate.

#32 New Girl

New Girl

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

I guess I know the reason for the fine now. The cover was to protect the tags as one of our other cars had the month tag removed - strange but true.

My daughter is 17 and is not eligible to work - weird you should jump on that comment Chip.

#33 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (ducky @ Jan 2 2009, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If that's what those covers are for -- to try to get out of a red-light ticket -- then that's not right to put one on. I don't really think that would work anyway.

The only useful purpose I could see for the clear cover is to prevent registration tag theft. The best way to do that though is make sure you scrape off the previous year's tag before you put the new one on and don't just put one tag on top of the other on your license plate.

Actually the cover is for preventing police laser radar from using your plate to calculate speed, the cover screws up the laser signal and they are illegal.

#34 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (New Girl @ Jan 2 2009, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess I know the reason for the fine now. The cover was to protect the tags as one of our other cars had the month tag removed - strange but true.

My daughter is 17 and is not eligible to work - weird you should jump on that comment Chip.

Chip likes to jump on parents even though he's not one himself

#35 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (New Girl @ Jan 2 2009, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, OK then. smile.gif

I didn't know that under 18 you couldn't have income or work.

My error.
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#36 New Girl

New Girl

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (ChipShot @ Jan 2 2009, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, OK then. smile.gif

My error.

Your error is in assuming you know the full facts of this situation. It is illegal for my daughter to work and I do not want her to knowingly break the law (I do not want her to break the law at all but it seems we did not know about license covers).

#37 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (New Girl @ Jan 2 2009, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your error is in assuming you know the full facts of this situation. It is illegal for my daughter to work and I do not want her to knowingly break the law

I love learning.

I had no idea it was illegal for a 17-year-old to work.

I mean it...I'm shocked. Is this something new to Calif ??

Guess I need to get out more!!! tongue.gif

#38 FatBear

FatBear

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (The Dude @ Dec 31 2008, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please list the many dates and times you witnessed the cops behind Osh or is this more of your assumptions?

Please list the many dates???

Why should he post the "dates"? I have also seen police officers parked there chatting (once that I recall, but I have only been behind OSH 5-6 times...)

I have also seen police chatting in other out-of-the-way places... I won't say I see them doing this everyday, but its common... Every city and town I have lived in, I have seen officers do this...

I have even gone on numerous "ride-alongs", and the officers did this with me in the car...

From personal experience (on the ride-alongs), they weren't really "chatting" about personal stuff, but more talking about events that happened that night, suspicious activity, maybe a few comments about something interesting that happened, etc... They also need and deserve their breaks...

And they were initially parked so they could write their reports, they just happen to often park in the same areas (maybe behind OSH is a good spot)...

Maybe it seems wasteful to some people that they are parked and not patrolling, but imagine if they were parked IN Front Of OSH and having a discussion??? Then so many more people would see them...

#39 FatBear

FatBear

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (camay2327 @ Dec 31 2008, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just received a phone call from Folsom Traffic Sargent, Sargent Emery and he said that there is no drive to give tickets to everyone that is parking on the sidewalks.

He did say that if their patrols are out and see people parking on the sidewalks where people with wheel chairs and people pushing baby strollers can't get past without going out onto the grass or into the road they will give tickets.

Not the case here (with my neighbor)... The neighbor's cars were barely on the sidewalk (tires actually on the rolled curb section), so still 3 foot+ of sidewalk clearance (no need to go on the grass or street to walk around, even on a wheel chair or stroller...).

#40 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE (The Dude @ Jan 2 2009, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually the cover is for preventing police laser radar from using your plate to calculate speed, the cover screws up the laser signal and they are illegal.

Didn't Mythbusters bust that one? I don't think it works, along with hanging CDs from your rearview mirror, hanging disco balls from your rearview mirror, glitter license plates. Geesh, people, just obey the speed laws.

I'd like to know what's so interesting behind OSH that Chip's always there to notice cops chatting.

#41 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (ducky @ Jan 2 2009, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't Mythbusters bust that one? I don't think it works, along with hanging CDs from your rearview mirror, hanging disco balls from your rearview mirror, glitter license plates. Geesh, people, just obey the speed laws.

I'd like to know what's so interesting behind OSH that Chip's always there to notice cops chatting.

Yes, mythbusters tried it twice as many watchers complained about them not having the camera at the right height etc..., but none the less, both times they came to the conclusion, sprays, covers, et al, don't work, you will still get caught by red light and radar speeding cameras. I think the only time they "got away" was the 200 mph test with a Lamborghini, apparently the doppler shift was out of range for the radar gun to get a lock, so it didn't take a picture.
I would rather be Backpacking

#42 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:07 AM

Yep, just obey the law and there will be zero problems. Chip seems to be a cop hater, just my opinion based on how he constantly slanders them.

#43 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:08 AM

In order to foil the red-light cameras, those plate covers provide just enough glare during the day, and a reflection of the flash at night to obscure part of the plate, thus no clear I.D. of the car.

And, yes, I am a frequent customer at OSH and drive thru that back area in order to avoid Bidwell. It's very private back there...the perfect spot for donuts and chit-chat. laugh.gif

#44 normajean

normajean

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:11 AM

as strange as this is for me to say, i am right there with ya, chip! first, i also thought it was funny that the parent was paying the daughter's ticket! and second, i am shocked as well to hear that it is illegal for 17 year olds to work! wait til 1/2 the businesses in town find out!!!

#45 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (ChipShot @ Jan 2 2009, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, OK then. smile.gif

My error.

Students in school have to get a work permit signed by the school in order to work and there are restrictions on how many hours and when they can work. If a student's GPA is too low, the school may not sign the work permit form which in effect, makes it illegal for the student to work during the school year.

It's nice when you know the facts
I would rather be Backpacking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users