42 replies to this topic

#16 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

I like the idea of getting your neighbors on board with a petition.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#17 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

I agree with the intent of the HOA who enforces the cc&rs but when they told me "even if you don't own any cars, your garage must be able to park the number of cars that it was designed for" there is no common sense. I may look into a petition to get this changed.

That's bullpucky. They can control what is visible from the street with doors closed, like cars on the driveway or anything visible over the fence. They cannot dictate what you store in the garage, as long as you aren't violating something like the parking ordinance... which you wouldn't if you didn't own a vehicle.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#18 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:31 PM

So what they are saying is, if you only have a 2 car garage, your family can only own 2 cars? Yeah, BS. There's a few houses on my street that have one or two cars in the garage and then one or two on the driveway. And what business is it of them what you keep in your garage vs parking in it?

#19 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

So what they are saying is, if you only have a 2 car garage, your family can only own 2 cars? Yeah, BS. There's a few houses on my street that have one or two cars in the garage and then one or two on the driveway. And what business is it of them what you keep in your garage vs parking in it?

Most of the CC&Rs I've seen say that you can park in the driveway as long as you are using the garage to its limit. So if you have 3-cars and a 2-car garage, you are fine parking one in the driveway (as long as it is a working vehicle and doesn't sit without being used).
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#20 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

Just for fun we looked at some of the model homes in Empire Ranch. We asked about parking in the driveway since we had too many cars for the garage and they told us it would be against the CC&Rs. We had two teen-age drivers at the time so that stopped us from seriously considering buying there, among other reasons.

I also had a friend that lived in Empire Ranch a street up from the elementary school, and she actually had some neighbor with nothing better to do report her for using her garage as "storage." She had just emptied the last of the boxes from moving and put them in the garage until she could get rid of them. She's not even sure how someone saw the boxes because they never left the garage open for long. That's some "Welcome to the neighborhood" :wacko:

#21 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

I think our city muni code might cover both.

If it does, it isn't enforced because I often see multiple cars amd or boats on trailers big and small in driveways, side yards and backyards in many areas of Folsom.

#22 firemedic238

firemedic238

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

I have a question,
How can a HOA controll what is on a public street? Its my understanding the streets in both the Parkway and E.R. are owned by the city of Folsom. The City allows overnight parking for 72 hours Yet the HOAs say no overnight parking. How is the public to know theres no parking overnight, Its not posted, is it even leagl to post it?
I just don't understand.
The Firemedic

#23 awood

awood

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

The whole HOA and CC&R's were new concepts to me when I moved to CA. I asked the Realtor what they were, she told me, I read them and bought a house. I have to assume that everyone has that opportunity and CHOOSES to buy a house KNOWING these exist. So why are you all belly aching about following the rules that you agreed to?

I have seen posts ramble on about trashy yards and bad neighbors, but if someone is in blatant violation of the terms they agreed to (whether they "make sense" or not) a lot of you are suddenly militant about "the man" keeping you down.

How about taking some responsibility for the decisions you make, including buying a house and knowing that there are rules agreed to by all parties involved that are meant to protect the value of the properties they govern?

#24 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

Wow. Okay. Feel better now?

#25 EmpireRanchCyclist

EmpireRanchCyclist

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:48 AM

If I had two cars that would fit in the garage, I would not have an issue. The issue is I have lived in this house for more than six years and my two cars won't fit. The HOA does not care. They still want the second car spot open so I could park a car there. CC&Rs serve a good purpose but some common sense needs to be used by the HOA.

We have spoken to neighbors and none of them have had any notices. Not sure why I am the house that they are making an example out of....

#26 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

If I had two cars that would fit in the garage, I would not have an issue. The issue is I have lived in this house for more than six years and my two cars won't fit. The HOA does not care. They still want the second car spot open so I could park a car there. CC&Rs serve a good purpose but some common sense needs to be used by the HOA.

We have spoken to neighbors and none of them have had any notices. Not sure why I am the house that they are making an example out of....

seems to me these homeowner associations have enforcers but also have a president. you should look him up and get his answer. lots of time the enforcer folks get a little too big for their britches. there is also some kind of a personality defect that makes a person want to be a ccr enforcer

#27 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

To be fair, you chose to purchase two large vehicles, with a 2-car garage that can't fit them, in a neighborhood that you chose to live in that enforces parking restrictions. All of this was brought upon by yourself. While HOAs suck and I feel for you, I don't think the common sense failure is on their part here. You seem to want it your way and expect them to bend.

#28 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

To be fair, you chose to purchase two large vehicles, with a 2-car garage that can't fit them, in a neighborhood that you chose to live in that enforces parking restrictions. All of this was brought upon by yourself. While HOAs suck and I feel for you, I don't think the common sense failure is on their part here. You seem to want it your way and expect them to bend.

Do you mean to say it is my own darn fault I don't have ERC's problem?
It's my own fault I chose not to live in an HOA neghborhood?
It's my own fault for buying a home with a 3 car garage so I can park 3 cars in it, or two with a bay for bicycle storage?

If so, I just want to say "Thank You",
I fully accept responsibility for my own personal situation.

:lol:
I would rather be Backpacking

#29 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:55 PM

The bottom line is those are the rules. You bought the house knowing the rules but don't chose to believe they apply to you. No one made you buy big cars or have all that stuff. If a new rule was implemented after you moved in or owned the cars, you'd have a complaint. You simply decided you don't like the rules. It doesn't matter if your neighbor's garage is also full of stuff, yours is and you got caught.

Do I think it's a stupid rule, yes - I tend to agree with you but it's not like it's a sudden surprise.

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#30 gm2005

gm2005

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

Because one of your neighbors is the one that reported you and that is why you got it.
Every house in ER would need to get this violation, because they have at least one car parked on the street or the driveway. One of our cars can't fit in the garage (the garage is not long enough).
I get your point. Trust me. The HOA is insane. They gave us a letter saying we needed to cut our grass down. Mind you it was raining all week, our neighbor and us cut our grass together all the time at the same time. They didn't get the letter. Oh, and by the time we got the letter we already cut the grass (were just waiting for soil to dry up a bit). At the same time, the weeds in the back of our house (that HOA takes care of) were 4 feet tall. We told them we will give them $50 for every day we don't cut our grass, and they had to give us $50 for every day they don't cut the weeds in the back. That promplty made them shut up.

I think we need to figure out how to get rid of them to be honest with you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users