• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 polycat

polycat

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Baking, Cooking, Gardening, Traveling, Walking, Swimming, Biking, Reading, Blogging, Writing, Graphic Arts, Volunteering, Community... but my greatest interest and love is my family.

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

I keep hearing about a large farmers market that takes place Sunday mornings in downtown Sac, near 8th & W I think? Has anyone been? What kind of things do they offer? Does anyone know the hours... where to park, etc?

#2 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE (polycat @ May 30 2009, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I keep hearing about a large farmers market that takes place Sunday mornings in downtown Sac, near 8th & W I think? Has anyone been? What kind of things do they offer? Does anyone know the hours... where to park, etc?

Depends what you're expecting. It's pretty large; they usually have a lot of vendors w/ a pretty good focus on veggies and fruits. I know people that go every weekend for their weekly veggies and fruits. They have some other things too: flowers, cheese, honey, bread, etc. They offer things usually not available at Raley's etc. For example, they have a pretty good selection of Asian veggies. And the fruits are usually better -- fresh picked for ripeness.

Parking is usually convenient -- they have parking under the freeway or you can find street parking.

But it's a different atmosphere. It has more of a somber feeling -- like it's for more serious shoppers who know produce, etc. I don't know how to explain it.

I'd recommend checking it out. It's not that far (25 minutes?). Go and see if it suits you. Many people do like it -- it's year round I think so it has a good loyal following.

#3 fried chicken

fried chicken

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:07 AM

it'a great market, but i agree it's a little more serious. i know a lot of chefs that go there early and buy for their kitchens. if you go i recommend getting there as early as possible.

there is a farmer's market in the whole foods parking lot at the fountains on tuesday mornings...the snow family is there and they have the best mandarin products around. also, there is a genteman that sells local lamb. if you are a lover of lamb you'll greatly appreciate this. not nearly as strong as new zealand lamb. this market also has the honey, bread, flowers, etc. they don't have the great asian produce though.

sacramento county farmer's markets
placer county farmer's markets

#4 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:20 AM

The chef at the Kitchen goes there every morning - so there's excellent stuff to be had

#5 Talulah Belle

Talulah Belle

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:31 AM

I have been to all of the before mentioned Markets and this is my take:

Sac (under the freeway) LOTS of things to choose from including meat which is pretty cool. IMHO way to overwheming. More novelty for me or if I can make it to my 1st choice.... we'll get to that. Very easy parking, I was really surprised.

Whole Foods- nice, very small and not a huge variety. Big plus is you can head into Whole Foods for whatever the market is lacking.

My choice: Sunrise Farmers Market on Sat morning. Easy to naviagate, lots of the same folks as the Sac location. They don't have meat, but that isn't a deal breaker for me. I take my two boys with me and am able to get all of my items and herd cats and still leave with all of my hair.

Here is a site for times:http://www.california-grown.com/Market-times.html.

Polycat: Planning to go this Sat morning, if ya wanna come with me. I like to get there by 8am!

#6 Toadster

Toadster

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

we've been wanting to go - one of our favorite wineries goes every Sunday
http://www.fitzpatrickwinery.com/

#7 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

I used to walk there just about every Sunday when I lived in Land Park. It's a great market. There's also a smaller Asian farmer's market just a few blocks west on Broadway that has some great stuff. As a lot of posters mentioned, it's not a pretty, peaceful strolling market like the one in EDH, but it's got a ton of great stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users