48 replies to this topic

#46 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:02 AM

You know your neighbors.  I don't.  Your frustration may be very justified, but some things to think about...

How many are in their household?  More people equals more showers, laundry drinking water.

Do they work from home?  All those trips to the loo are done at home and not an office somewhere else.

Do they eat out or cook at home?  Pots of pasta, washing veggies, food prep takes water.  Takeout food, not so much.

Do they entertain, have family visit often?  Again, more laundry, food prep, etc.

Try telling someone who works in a hot kitchen or attics or rooftops that a shower every other day is enough.  

Using water isn't necessarily wasting it.

The tracker app only asks a few questions but then says "Similar homes within 2.0 miles." Without going door to door any conclusions are questionable at best.

#47 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

This concept of waste is pretty interesting.  When you use a gallon of gasoline, it is gone.  When you use a kilowatt of electricity, it is gone.  When you use a gallon of water...well, that's different.

Try making a gallon of water disappear.  It is actually hard work.

Water that flows down our drains is available to be reused again and again downstream.  Yes, there are losses.  I'm not suggesting wholesale waste is ok, but flushing your toilet when it needs it is NOT wasting water.

So, take your showers, folks.

Keep in mind that, while that is true for water that continues to flow down the river for the rest of CA to use, it is not true for our local water supply.  Water we use from Folsom Lake truly is "gone" from our perspective and there is a very limited supply of it.  It should be conserved where possible.

That said, if they were so concerned about that supply, then there should be a moratorium on all construction that increases water use beyond a trivial amount (new office building is probably ok, new homes and pools are not).

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#48 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:30 PM

Our recycled water is tasting and stinking more and more of chlorine by the day. Can that much chlorine consumption really be good for us?

Svzr2FS.jpg

#49 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:08 PM

Our recycled water is tasting and stinking more and more of chlorine by the day. Can that much chlorine consumption really be good for us?

I remember when the city used to issue the water testing results periodically to show the purity of our water.  They taste for everything, including chlorine levels.  We actually have very good water.  I remember really smelling the chlorine when I first moved back here after living on well water for a year.  I don't taste it all now.  I much prefer our water to most other cities I visit, including Davis and SF.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Water Conservation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users