Photo

What Was It Like When They Built The Galleria Mall?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

Interestingly enough, I don't think I almost ever was in Roseville despite living so close, so I'm not sure what the atmosphere was like back in the day...but for fun I was looking at it on Google Earth and noticed The Galleria and tons of shops surrounding it were only built several years ago (sometime between August '98 and May '02). Funny because that whole area was total empty fields before too!

An old school/closed in mall being constructed (relatively) recently seems unbelievabe. Was it like an event to people at the time? Just curious if it's had an effect on Sunrise which isn't far away?

Most malls seem like they were built in the 70s, and of course were at their most popular right after that. You could almost measure it in teen movies, like from Fast Times at Ridgemont High to Clueless). Nowadays open air malls and power centers seem to be the rage, almost going back to the golden oldies!

#2 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:09 PM

It was a complete nightmare and it continues to be that way today in that area. Roseville is the epitome of a concrete jungle. I used to work at NEC in that area before the mall and before anything was built in that area. There was nothing between Roseville and Lincoln. Open fields and a small town feel.

Now it's box store after box store. No soul, just plain consumerism. I hope Folsom never ends up like that area.

#3 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (nomad @ May 8 2010, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was a complete nightmare and it continues to be that way today in that area. Roseville is the epitome of a concrete jungle. I used to work at NEC in that area before the mall and before anything was built in that area. There was nothing between Roseville and Lincoln. Open fields and a small town feel.

Now it's box store after box store. No soul, just plain consumerism. I hope Folsom never ends up like that area.

I agree with you, nomad. They do that in the South Bay too, it is really unfortunate when all the open space dies and every place starts looking the same.

Yeah, I thought I was amazed how parts of Folsom grew since I lived there...Roseville looks like it trumps that! I think a few new centers can be nice in moderation, but it is robotic and soulless when it's literally everywhere (especially in an economy that can barely support what we already have). Traffic must be congested now too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users