9 replies to this topic

#1 maggiesmom

maggiesmom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:30 PM

We have a Kenmore Refrigerator that was purchased from Sears just under 2 years ago. Our warranty has expired and the ice maker is in need of repair. Any good recommendations for a service person?

Thanks

#2 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:45 PM

The internet and you tube is wonderful at teaching simple DIY repairs. If you can figure out what is wrong, you might try to buy the part at Folsom Lake Appliance in Orangevale. http://www.folsomlakeappliance.com/ They also do repairs themselves, but I've only used them to buy parts so the joy of repairing can be mine alone.

Fake edit - Hmmm, the don't have Kenmore listed as a brand they service. Maybe they could refer someone that does Kenmore? Although, depending on what you need, the brand might not make a lick of difference.

#3 jtroiano

jtroiano

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:08 AM

QUOTE (MrsTuffPaws @ Feb 19 2010, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The internet and you tube is wonderful at teaching simple DIY repairs. If you can figure out what is wrong, you might try to buy the part at Folsom Lake Appliance in Orangevale. http://www.folsomlakeappliance.com/ They also do repairs themselves, but I've only used them to buy parts so the joy of repairing can be mine alone.

Fake edit - Hmmm, the don't have Kenmore listed as a brand they service. Maybe they could refer someone that does Kenmore? Although, depending on what you need, the brand might not make a lick of difference.

Learn how to do it yourself. Sears replaced my ice maker a few years ago and charged over 300.00. It took 3 trips for them to get it right. Also, they took forever to come back out when their repairs didn't fix the problem or caused a new problem. (Not making ice at all, not stopping making ice when the container was full, water leaking from fridge all over the floor)When it failed again a few years later, we found the part online and replaced it ourselves for less than 100.00. My argument with Sears over this and their lack of concern for my problem caused me to cancel the Sears account we had for over 25 years.

#4 maggiesmom

maggiesmom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (jtroiano @ Feb 20 2010, 02:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Learn how to do it yourself. Sears replaced my ice maker a few years ago and charged over 300.00. It took 3 trips for them to get it right. Also, they took forever to come back out when their repairs didn't fix the problem or caused a new problem. (Not making ice at all, not stopping making ice when the container was full, water leaking from fridge all over the floor)When it failed again a few years later, we found the part online and replaced it ourselves for less than 100.00. My argument with Sears over this and their lack of concern for my problem caused me to cancel the Sears account we had for over 25 years.

That is exactly what is happening with our ice maker!!! We too, are reluctant to call Sears becasue their service thus far, has...well...sucked!! I'll tell my husband to get working on it himself smile.gif

#5 leenda

leenda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:36 AM

If you end up having to call someone to repair it, I'd recommend (sorry, not in Folsom):

Ted or Jason Blankenship
Fridge Clean and Repair Co.
9340 Orangevale Ave. #60
Orangevale, CA 95662
(916) 988-7777

They fixed our Kenmore icemaker a few years ago and just recently repaired our GE icemaker. They really know what they're doing and their rates are extremely reasonable. And they usually come out the same day or the day after you call. Good luck.

#6 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (maggiesmom @ Feb 20 2010, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is exactly what is happening with our ice maker!!! We too, are reluctant to call Sears becasue their service thus far, has...well...sucked!! I'll tell my husband to get working on it himself smile.gif

I had problems with mine. Researching, I found it was made by Whirlpool and the model I had was discontinued, but there was a new replacement model. New it would have cost $104. I found a used one on ebay for $35. Replaced it myself (3 screws and reading the manual on how to remove the freezer door for easy access.) It works great.
I would rather be Backpacking

#7 SacDJ

SacDJ

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:34 PM

I have a Toyota ice maker and it won't stop making ice. The kitchen is full of it every morning. Can't figure it out.

#8 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (SacDJ @ Mar 9 2010, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Toyota ice maker and it won't stop making ice. The kitchen is full of it every morning. Can't figure it out.

I bet the accelerator is stuck.

#9 gm2005

gm2005

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:50 AM

Our ice maker stopped working too. Did a whole bunch of research, got a new part, replaced it, still not working.
Now we either need to get a whole new ice maker or have somebody come and repair it.
Have you fixed yours yet?

#10 60ft6in

60ft6in

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (leenda @ Feb 20 2010, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you end up having to call someone to repair it, I'd recommend (sorry, not in Folsom):

Ted or Jason Blankenship
Fridge Clean and Repair Co.
9340 Orangevale Ave. #60
Orangevale, CA 95662
(916) 988-7777

They fixed our Kenmore icemaker a few years ago and just recently repaired our GE icemaker. They really know what they're doing and their rates are extremely reasonable. And they usually come out the same day or the day after you call. Good luck.

I also want to recommend Fridge Clean and Repair Co. I just had Jason come out to repair both my refrigerators. Came out same day as I called and was very reasonable on his price! Had all parts on hand making it a quick fix for both! Very friendly and explained all my options before repairing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users