• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 winterschild67

winterschild67

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:23 PM

So, I am new to the forum but I have to alert you all to something that is happening in Folsom. Just this afternoon, I was driving down Riley Street when a woman pulled out across all the lanes of traffic (the lane to my left was empty & available) to pull in front of me & then SLAM on her brakes, even though there was no reason to stop. I have spoken with others who have had similar experiences & this is an insurance scam. I thought she would pull into the lane that was empty, so it was a complete surprise when she cut in front of me & a greater shock when she slammed on her brakes. Please be careful & know that these are not innocent people who may have made a mistake in judging distance, speed, etc. It is a scam! Beware. I have called the PD to alert them to this woman, in case she does manage to cause an accident.
Thanks for listening.

#2 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

What kind of vehicle was she driving... a similar thing happened to my wife a couple months ago. Except my wife hit her.

#3 winterschild67

winterschild67

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Apr 14 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What kind of vehicle was she driving... a similar thing happened to my wife a couple months ago. Except my wife hit her.

It was a gold colored Honda Odyssey maybe 2008-2009?

#4 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

glad my sportscar can stop on a dime, I sure hope this person gets caught and sent away.
It would be most awesome if they pulled the stunt and got rear-ended by an off-duty policeman. That way they could get nailed for illegal and unsafe lane changes, deliberately causing an accident, etc.
I would rather be Backpacking

#5 SmartMoney

SmartMoney

All Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

Be alert (no texting, etc) and don't tailgate, and odds are the rear-end scam won't happen to you.

Pretty basic.
I speak truth. Don't ignore reality, folks.

#6 winterschild67

winterschild67

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (SmartMoney @ Apr 14 2010, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Be alert (no texting, etc) and don't tailgate, and odds are the rear-end scam won't happen to you.

Pretty basic.

Good advice. I wasn't texting nor tailgating; I wasn't daydreaming, I was driving. She chose to accelerate to get in front of me & then slam on her brakes. I suppose if my crystal ball had been functional, I would have forseen her illogical & seemingly unnecessary move into my lane and been able to avoid it.

Pretty basic. I'm not psychic - didn't imagine someone with a functional brain would choose to do such a thing. Lesson learned.

#7 winterschild67

winterschild67

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Apr 14 2010, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
glad my sportscar can stop on a dime, I sure hope this person gets caught and sent away.
It would be most awesome if they pulled the stunt and got rear-ended by an off-duty policeman. That way they could get nailed for illegal and unsafe lane changes, deliberately causing an accident, etc.

Thankfully, my car does stop on a dime and I avoided the accident. I do believe she will attempt this with the wrong person (be it a police officer or someone with a short fuse & predisposition to physical violence) and it will end badly for her. I hope she stops this scam before people get hurt.

#8 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (winterschild67 @ Apr 14 2010, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good advice. I wasn't texting nor tailgating; I wasn't daydreaming, I was driving. She chose to accelerate to get in front of me & then slam on her brakes. I suppose if my crystal ball had been functional, I would have forseen her illogical & seemingly unnecessary move into my lane and been able to avoid it.

Pretty basic. I'm not psychic - didn't imagine someone with a functional brain would choose to do such a thing. Lesson learned.

I used to work for an auto insurance company. This is called the swoop and squat. Usually they involve 2 cars where they box you in to keep you from taking evasive maneuvers to avoid rea-ending the car in front of you. They also load up the car with multiple passengers to get those medpay claims up.
It has nothing to tailgating or texting - this is a deliberate move that is oftern unavoidable. The best you can do is be your advocate when you talk to your claims agent. They know all the scams and have been taught to listen for key phrases like "She pulled over 3 lanes in front of me and slammed on the brakes for no reason."
The key is witnesses - of you do hit someone, try to find witnesses who can back you up!

http://www.allstate....bout/fraud.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users