22 replies to this topic

#16 mary56

mary56

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Well the Grandchildren got Influenza. They are 4 and 6, neither vaccinated for flu this year. The 6 year old was much worse than the 4 year old. Still both have the worst coughs, but MD says normal with this flu. My son went to a lunch and learn in Sacramento on Thursday and 20 out of 30 people had just either had influenza or had it in the last few weeks. His family vaccinated. My husband works at Sutter Roseville and ER is crazy today and UC packed. So hope you all stay well as we are in the peak of this now and if you do get sick, do not wait to go to MD , it is very nasty especially for the young and over 65! I wonder if anyone has any updates. My daughter first took the 6 year old to Md and he did nothing so wound up at Mercy Folsom as she was so lethargic and fever would not go down. They did a good job and triaged quickly. This was over a week ago!

#17 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

My fiancee has it. She had a flu shot but she works in a hospital and is likely exposed to any malady you can think of.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#18 Logan

Logan

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Flu trending downward, but still hitting elderly hard

Elizabeth Weise, USA TODAY8:14a.m. EST February 16, 2013

Last week, the proportion of people visiting the doctor for influenza-like illness was 3.2% of all doctor visits, down from 4.2% the week before.

Maybe the worst is over

#19 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

Is Google still doing its flu map thing?

Answering my own question... dang, it's been a bad year.

http://www.google.org/flutrends/us/#US
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#20 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

I was flu free for 10+ years. I caught the flu the two years I got the stupid shot because the doctors practically forced us when we had our first child. I have not had the shot the last two years and have not had the flu. My wife and son have both continued to get the shot/nasal-spray and have had the flu both years, including it rolling through my house a couple of weeks ago where I was the only one that did not get it. I've heard similar experiences from friends and family.

I'm not saying that the shot causes the flu (although, the shot version did cause a fever in my son and he gets the snotty head cold thing with the nasal spray version). My point is that getting the shot seems to have little or no effect on the outcome of you getting the flu, for various reasons. If it weren't FDA approved and pushed by the Government itself, makers of the flu shot would probably be in court for making false claims and the Kings would play in Flu Shot Arena.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#21 mary56

mary56

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

The Flu shot was a big farse this year and I find it so odd and this is my take on it, that they wanted the elderly off the SS role. I think that either it was done on purpose or something happened. Trust me! In all my years working in a hospital pharmacy, I have never seen anything like this. Yes, there are really bad flu years, but not like this. Plus it seemed the people that got the flu shot actually got sicker. My sons family just got over it and they all had flu shots. Their 9 month old was almost hospitalized. Thank God, he is ok now, but pretty scary. One of my husbands co workers grandson got the flu so severely, he got double pneumonia and was in hospital for 5 days. So, I am really confused, but I know there was something behind this flu shot. I also find it very funny that the CDC was "scratching" their heads as to why it was such a bad year for seniors... CMON 9% effectiveness. Talk about off the mark..

#22 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

The Flu shot was a big farse this year and I find it so odd and this is my take on it, that they wanted the elderly off the SS role. I think that either it was done on purpose or something happened. Trust me! In all my years working in a hospital pharmacy, I have never seen anything like this. Yes, there are really bad flu years, but not like this. Plus it seemed the people that got the flu shot actually got sicker. My sons family just got over it and they all had flu shots. Their 9 month old was almost hospitalized. Thank God, he is ok now, but pretty scary. One of my husbands co workers grandson got the flu so severely, he got double pneumonia and was in hospital for 5 days. So, I am really confused, but I know there was something behind this flu shot. I also find it very funny that the CDC was "scratching" their heads as to why it was such a bad year for seniors... CMON 9% effectiveness. Talk about off the mark..

See my post from page 1...never mind here it is again: "Flu shots are a scam!"

#23 mary56

mary56

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

They had their place at one time, when they worked, sometimes they did and some years they did not. I really do attribute it to so many people get it that the bugs are getting resistant to the vaccines. It is like with the Pertussis vaccine, same thing. Now they are trying to get a new one that works better. You know they are still telling people to get flu shots even with all the media coverage and our flu season is almost over. Pretty amazing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users