5 replies to this topic

#1 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

For years I have thought that anti-bacterial soaps cause more harm then good. Looks like the research backs it up, too! Finally.

"An estimated 75% of the anti-bacterial liquid soaps and body washes sold in the United States contain triclosan, a germ-killing ingredient. The only problem is, the Food and Drug Administration has no idea whether it actually works and there's some evidence it may pose health risks."

"That's not FDA's take on it. "Consumers assume that by using antibacterial soap products they're protecting themselves and their families from illness but we don't have any evidence that they're better than simple soap and water," Kweder said.

The advertising used for these products makes consumers think if they wash with them they won't get sick, said Kweder. "You'll see pictures of people sneezing and coughing and looking pretty ill."

But many of those images "look like people who have viral illnesses" such as the common cold, she said. Viruses are the most common cause of infections in the United States and antibacterial agents have no effect on them.

Currently the only use for which triclosan has been shown to be effective is as an anti-gingivitis ingredient in toothpaste, said Kweder."

http://www.usatoday....l-soap/4038907/

#2 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

Every soap is anti-bacterial.  Save the heavy duty stuff for the professionals.  The problem is it is hard to find soap that isn't "anti-bacterial" or at least claims to be.

#3 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

Every soap is anti-bacterial.  Save the heavy duty stuff for the professionals.  The problem is it is hard to find soap that isn't "anti-bacterial" or at least claims to be.

True dat. There is one Softsoap refill I can find to buy and that's usually the only option.

#4 ambrno33

ambrno33

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

Whole foods has a lot of non antibacterial soaps that are really affordable. They come in a foaming version, which I like for the kids, and have a refill available too. 

#5 WolfMom

WolfMom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with the family. :-)

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

More important than what is in the soap is HOW you use it. When I taught at Bryan College one of our first lessons was how to wash your hands. Here are a few things I learned...

The mechanics of how you wash is so important. (Preventing re-contamination by following proper steps and the process of washing itself.) People too often don't scrub well enough and rush through the process. If you are really worried about germs/bacteria/cooties then a bar of hand soap like Dove and a nail brush will do well for you. It's physically dislodging the ickies from the nooks and crannies of your hands that is going to do a lot of the disinfecting for you. Nails are a huge culprit for nastiness, use that nail brush and sing to yourself the Alphabet song (or something similar in length) so that you know you are spending enough time washing. (I use Christmas -insert your personal winter holiday here- jingles this time of year and folks in the bathroom smile at the nice, goofy lady washing her hands and singing.) I am also careful not to turn off the water spigot that I just turned on coming straight out of the stall. Use a paper towel or if you have no choice, your wrist/forearm. (As an aside hint when I am in a public restroom I use my knee to press the flush handle so I do not use my hands, some people step on the handle but that is rude to the person following you imo.)

Anyhoo, I think hand sanitizers and pump soaps may make folks too complacent or lazy when it comes to really washing hands well. (And remember to sneeze or cough into your elbow!) Okay, I sound way too much like a mom... of to do some painting and think of edgy blog posts to titillate the masses. * whistling "Walking In A Winter Wonderland" as she edges away from keyboard *  :xmastree:

Dawn Grove

#6 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:43 PM

I rarely use that product. I always think of when I worked in the OR... what's important is creating friction (rubbing hands together briskly) under running water. Just pretend you are a doc scrubbing in!

I'm not a germaphobe at all, I touch water facets, door handles, walls, desks, whatever...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users