43 replies to this topic

#1 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

It's got to be hard to work in a popular bar. They'll be open in two weeks.

from the Folsom Telegraph

Folsom Hotel temporarily shut down
Officials allege bar patron was overserved, shuts down business for 15 days
The Folsom Hotel won't be serving drinks for two weeks after they were cited by the Alcoholic Beverage Control department.

According to a statement released by hotel owner KC Margolis, "In our sincere attempt to provide the best service and experience to our 'Folsom Family' friends, and loyal patrons while visiting the Hotel; our local Alcoholic Beverage Control Department has cited a staff member with overserving a patron. As a result of this charge, we are being shut down for 15 days to commence Sept. 29 at midnight. We are 'totally bummed' by this course of events, and needless to say will be anxiously counting down the days till we can resume the fun and great times always taking place at the Hotel. We will resume business on the Oct. 13. We love you and will miss all of you."
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#2 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

... Alcoholic Beverage Control Department has cited a staff member with overserving a patron. ...

"Overserving". Does anything know exactly what that means? What specific situation would trigger this?

To me it just reeks of government overstepping their bounds once again. If the person is not belligerent, is coherent, and is not planning to drive (although I disagree that the establishment should be responsible for that), I say the ABC should stay the eff out of it.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#3 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

I don't know the exact parameters of such a charge, but I'm glad to see it. I think there is no excuse for continuing to serve a patron who is falling-down-drunk just so the establishment can make a few bucks.

Too much alcohol can be fatal -- every year, young people die of alcohol poisoning.

We don't know the specifics of what happened here, but as a hypothetical, if the bartender saw a patron throw back 10 shots in an hour and they were asking for more, would it be appropriate to keep serving them??

#4 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:10 PM

most of the problems that have occurred on Sutter Street arise from drunken patrons getting into fights, urinating in doorways and vandalizing shops, etc. when you have that many bars in one place, people move from bar to bar and its important bartenders don't overserve. if they have too many at one place and get turned down, they'll go to another and try there. like I said, it must be hard to be a bartender down there. I know they all try hard not to serve the inebriated, but I also know our new police chief is trying hard to keep Sutter Street under control at night. I think its a good thing for all of us, the bars included. The hotel will be back open for Halloween, so they won't miss a big night.

#5 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

That's why I'm curious about what would trigger this. If the person is "problematic" or so drunk that there is obviously a potential medical issue brewing, then I'll accept it - barely. Otherwise, I don't like the government getting involved. Let the natural market, owners and operators of the establishments handle it. I promise that if you have an establishment that is known for having fall-down drunk belligerent patrons, business will drop. If Sutter St is known for having a lot of fights, etc., people will stop hanging out there. Eventually, businesses will respond and matters will be corrected. Natural market forces taking care of the problem. (See Yager's for reference.)

I don't like the government preemptively punishing the business because the person drinking might become sick or cause trouble. That's going too far.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#6 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:31 PM

I would like to know more facts. My guess is, it must have been really egregious if the ABC took action.

#7 SacDJ

SacDJ

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

If restaurants could be shut down for over serving Walmart shoppers, we'd be doing a lot more home cooking!

#8 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

I fear this was likely a sting operation, which IMO is wrong for the government to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if a competitor across the street didn't like losing patrons, so they narced on the Hotel, then Uncle Sam comes in with an undercover guy who is really not getting drunk, he's just ordering a lot of drinks and dumping them down the toilet and after he's bought enough drinks to make a horse passout, they decide to bust the bar for selling too many drinks to a single patron.

I don't trust the ABC, the BATF, the IRS or many other of our esteemed government agencies as I have read plenty of horror stories as to how they conduct their operations.
Where have all the flowers gone?
Posted Image

#9 doj_gal

doj_gal

MyFolsom's Back at it Kid!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

I don't like the government preemptively punishing the business because the person drinking might become sick or cause trouble. That's going too far.

So...you would be okay with a bar/resturant that continues to sell alcohol in amounts that are excessive and then allowing that patron to leave without offering a cab, only to run over and kill your family or friend? I am the first person to want the government out of my personal life. However, when people cannot manage their addictions or vices, I would like the government to somewhat get involved to try and prevent innocent victims from getting hurt and most likely killed.

Alcohol sales and consumption are just somethings that needs regulations. Tougher ones at that!

AND I'd rather the regulations be tested every once in a while...after the death of innocent bystanders or motorists is pointless in my opinion!

#10 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

So...you would be okay with a bar/resturant that continues to sell alcohol in amounts that are excessive and then allowing that patron to leave without offering a cab, only to run over and kill your family or friend? I am the first person to want the government out of my personal life. However, when people cannot manage their addictions or vices, I would like the government to somewhat get involved to try and prevent innocent victims from getting hurt and most likely killed.

Alcohol sales and consumption is just something that needs regulation. Tougher ones at that!

AND I'd rather the regulations be tested every once in a while...after the death of innocent bystanders or motorists is pointless in my opinion!

Apparently they weren't monitoring Folsom Live then because I saw dozens of over-served people in addition to the 4-5 that were passed out or in an ambulance for over-drunken-ness.

Sounds like a set up like Harold said. They did the same thing a few years back when some of the bars were running Superbowl squares. Sent a guy in, gently asked questions, then pulled out his badge.

I wonder if they target bars in Sac or along Folsom Blvd like this too?

#11 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

Apparently they weren't monitoring Folsom Live then because I saw dozens of over-served people in addition to the 4-5 that were passed out or in an ambulance for over-drunken-ness.

Sounds like a set up like Harold said. They did the same thing a few years back when some of the bars were running Superbowl squares. Sent a guy in, gently asked questions, then pulled out his badge.

I wonder if they target bars in Sac or along Folsom Blvd like this too?

I hear that ABC is way understaffed and they usually only investigate when there are complaints or issues that crop up. I don't know if any of you have been reading the police log, but there are quite a few police problems with drinking on Sutter Street. I mean, how many liquor licenses are down there in a three-block zone? 13? That's quite a few. I bet all of the bars stand up and take notice though and tell their servers to be extra vigilent.

ABC has always been tough and they should be. Back in the old days, if the ABC got complaints, they would yank licenses. At least now they send someone out to check it out in person.

#12 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:53 PM

It's got to be hard to work in a popular bar. They'll be open in two weeks.

from the Folsom Telegraph

Folsom Hotel temporarily shut down
Officials allege bar patron was overserved, shuts down business for 15 days
The Folsom Hotel won't be serving drinks for two weeks after they were cited by the Alcoholic Beverage Control department.

According to a statement released by hotel owner KC Margolis, "In our sincere attempt to provide the best service and experience to our 'Folsom Family' friends, and loyal patrons while visiting the Hotel; our local Alcoholic Beverage Control Department has cited a staff member with overserving a patron. As a result of this charge, we are being shut down for 15 days to commence Sept. 29 at midnight. We are 'totally bummed' by this course of events, and needless to say will be anxiously counting down the days till we can resume the fun and great times always taking place at the Hotel. We will resume business on the Oct. 13. We love you and will miss all of you."

Why are they being give notice? If the ABC has real evidence, then why wait until 9/29 at midnight to shut down? The doors should have been closed at the time of the citation.

It looked like they are trying to squeeze in all the last minute customers before the shutdown...(yea, I drove by tonight).

#13 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:25 AM

Why are they being give notice? If the ABC has real evidence, then why wait until 9/29 at midnight to shut down? The doors should have been closed at the time of the citation.

It looked like they are trying to squeeze in all the last minute customers before the shutdown...(yea, I drove by tonight).

I believe ABC is suspending them as a penalty (rather than giving them a fine). It's not because the place is unsafe, like a restaurant.

#14 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

Why hasn't this thread been moved to the correct section? News about the Folsom Hotel does not seem like "TV and Entertainment".

#15 andy

andy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

It's important to note that the 'statement' in the Telegraph is from the hotel, so it's not exactly going to give you enough detail to know ABC probably acted following several complaints, investigated, and decided this warranted the attention. Imagine if your source in a criminal matter was the defendent.

The delay in the effective date is because the hotel has due process rights; the penalty is set in advance of its effective date. Considering how rare shutdownas are in this area, I imagine it was serious. Old town residents are likely thankful for this type of oversight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users