• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

Some kid threw a scalding hot tub of creamed spinach in the face of a Boston Market employee, where he had to be taken to the hospital for serious burns to the face and neck...

http://blogs.sacbee....ster-serio.html

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

It's sad, scary and disgusting that anyone would pull such a stupid and dangerous "prank." Evidently this isn't the first time a cashier at a drive-through has been attacked with food; why people think this is funny is beyond me. I hope they catch the people who did this and that the cashier will be okay. I saw him on KCRA's news tonight and he has several blisters on his face, neck and ear. :(
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 irish1

irish1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:34 AM

So let's see... A guy pulls up in a drive-thru and orders a hot spinach dish, from an unsuspecting dilligent restaurant employee, and when he is given the dish of 'just prepared, and steaming hot substance,' he immediately opens the dish - and heaves the (hot, steaming) spinach in the face of the employee....!!! The substance scalds the poor employees face, neck, and ear(s), and causes, I'm sure, great pain to go along with the injuries (possible scarring)...? The motive eluded to in the article, is an intentional act being referred to as - 'fire in the hole,' and is possibly recorded for it's outrageous content - and let's not forget the most important aspect.. The victims reaction, pain and injuries. And this is done, for future posting on the internet - for all to see and appreciate.

With the incident being pretty clearly vicious as to the intentions of the idiot(s) - someone had to film it, right? - and that the action was sure to bring about injury, pain, and suffering, then why on earth, would it be dumbed down to the level of being called... "A prank?" The PIO in the piece uses the word 'prank,' and the press uses the word 'prank' when reporting the incident. Just the use of the term, plays down the seriousness of what happened to the victim...!!! It also plays down the actions of the perp(s) who committed this unprovoked, senseless, and callous act..... Hell, it already set up the rudy-poops defense when he gets caught. 'It was a prank gone wrong, your Honor. The cops readily identified it as a 'prank,' and the press reported it as a 'prank' also. My client admits to doing the deed, however, his intention was to have the steaming hot appetizer splash onto the counter in front of the victim, as a prank, and not onto the victim. He made a mistake. He's a good guy.. He would never intentionally hurt anyone like this...etc.'

I think it's sad, and it really peeves me to no end that the victims real and traumatic experience is played down to being an incident of... 'Oh, sorry. My bad..!'
Thanks for reading...
Be safe...

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:31 AM

So let's see... A guy pulls up in a drive-thru and orders a hot spinach dish, from an unsuspecting dilligent restaurant employee, and when he is given the dish of 'just prepared, and steaming hot substance,' he immediately opens the dish - and heaves the (hot, steaming) spinach in the face of the employee....!!! The substance scalds the poor employees face, neck, and ear(s), and causes, I'm sure, great pain to go along with the injuries (possible scarring)...? The motive eluded to in the article, is an intentional act being referred to as - 'fire in the hole,' and is possibly recorded for it's outrageous content - and let's not forget the most important aspect.. The victims reaction, pain and injuries. And this is done, for future posting on the internet - for all to see and appreciate.

With the incident being pretty clearly vicious as to the intentions of the idiot(s) - someone had to film it, right? - and that the action was sure to bring about injury, pain, and suffering, then why on earth, would it be dumbed down to the level of being called... "A prank?" The PIO in the piece uses the word 'prank,' and the press uses the word 'prank' when reporting the incident. Just the use of the term, plays down the seriousness of what happened to the victim...!!! It also plays down the actions of the perp(s) who committed this unprovoked, senseless, and callous act..... Hell, it already set up the rudy-poops defense when he gets caught. 'It was a prank gone wrong, your Honor. The cops readily identified it as a 'prank,' and the press reported it as a 'prank' also. My client admits to doing the deed, however, his intention was to have the steaming hot appetizer splash onto the counter in front of the victim, as a prank, and not onto the victim. He made a mistake. He's a good guy.. He would never intentionally hurt anyone like this...etc.'

I think it's sad, and it really peeves me to no end that the victims real and traumatic experience is played down to being an incident of... 'Oh, sorry. My bad..!'
Thanks for reading...
Be safe...

You're absolutely right, and it's irresponsible journalism to call this attack a prank.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#5 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for reading...
Be safe...

agreed. people are charged with manslaughter for accidents they didn't mean to cause too. this kid and his friend filming it should both face some jail time.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#6 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

agreed. people are charged with manslaughter for accidents they didn't mean to cause too. this kid and his friend filming it should both face some jail time.

I have no use for scum that intentionally hurt strangers for the sheer fun of it.

Death Penalty by South American Army ants might be an appropriate punishment for this kind of violence IMO.
I would rather be Backpacking

#7 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

I have no use for scum that intentionally hurt strangers for the sheer fun of it.

Death Penalty by South American Army ants might be an appropriate punishment for this kind of violence IMO.

I would even be happy with a month in county jail and reimbursement of medical expenses and time off work for the person who was injured. I hope the person injured also sues them in civil court for pain and suffering.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#8 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:01 PM

Likely charged with "Assault with a DEADLY WEAPON" Did I hear that right? While I in no way agree with what these kids did how do you get a "deadly" weapon from a cup of cream spinach? :wacko:

#9 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

Likely charged with "Assault with a DEADLY WEAPON" Did I hear that right? While I in no way agree with what these kids did how do you get a "deadly" weapon from a cup of cream spinach? :wacko:

Burning hot substance that melts skin, think about it.

#10 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:18 PM

Yeah I'm sure it didn't feel good but at no point was the guys life ever in danger. When is the last time you heard of someone dying from having a hot cup of anything thrown on them??? Think about it...

#11 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:38 PM

Yeah I'm sure it didn't feel good but at no point was the guys life ever in danger. When is the last time you heard of someone dying from having a hot cup of anything thrown on them??? Think about it...

A shooting victim doesn't have to actually have his/her life hanging in the balance in order to charge the shooter with "assault with a deadly weapon."

Burns can cause death through infection as well as an increased risk of cancer at the burn site. The fact that the victim here didn't suffer the extent of damages as say someone who is burned in a fire doesn't mean there wasn't the potential for more damage.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#12 awood

awood

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:10 AM

The precedent would seem to have been set when a women received a hot cup of coffee through a drive through window, proceeded to spill it in her lap and was awarded $3 million. The perpetrators could split that and share the glory of a $2 million/piece prank...that sounds about right to me?! :2thumbsup:

#13 irish1

irish1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:01 AM

A.D.W. (Assault w/a Deadly Weapon)... Or any other instrument.. or means of force.. 'which is likely to produce great bodily injury..' Death, or near death, is not required when charging this crime.

Going by the pictures of the victims injuries, (and, of course, consulting with his Doctor first), I would list a charge of 'Aggravated Mayhem,' also. As the burns to the face and neck may possibly scar, that would be a disfigurement of the victim - another felony.

As for... 'When is the last time you heard of someone dying from having a hot cup of anything thrown on them?? Think about it...'

Well I did give that some short thought, and recall a woman who had a saucepan of boiled water thrown in her face - (wouldn't give up bar money for the hubby..) - and she went into shock, developed massive infections, and survived only due to extreme medical intervention (life support and ventilator, etc...). It was touch and go for some time. It can happen.

#14 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:53 AM

We all did dumb things and were risky at bikes, skateboards etc but the Jackass type movies and videos like this one celebrate stupid and dangerous arse stuff as funny or cool Guess they think falling down a flight if concrete stairs when skateboarding or fire in the hole is cute.

Wish Darwinism would take these punk out before innocent bystanders get hurt. Hopefully no one here has kids like this.

#15 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:55 AM

A.D.W. (Assault w/a Deadly Weapon)... Or any other instrument.. or means of force.. 'which is likely to produce great bodily injury..' Death, or near death, is not required when charging this crime.

Going by the pictures of the victims injuries, (and, of course, consulting with his Doctor first), I would list a charge of 'Aggravated Mayhem,' also. As the burns to the face and neck may possibly scar, that would be a disfigurement of the victim - another felony.

As for... 'When is the last time you heard of someone dying from having a hot cup of anything thrown on them?? Think about it...'

Well I did give that some short thought, and recall a woman who had a saucepan of boiled water thrown in her face - (wouldn't give up bar money for the hubby..) - and she went into shock, developed massive infections, and survived only due to extreme medical intervention (life support and ventilator, etc...). It was touch and go for some time. It can happen.

That's exactly the way I see this too, they need to throw the book at the rat bastards that committed this crime. Not only will it get them off the streets, it will serve as notice that these assaults being severely mislabeled as pranks will not be tolerated. This is no laughing matter and it's disturbing that it's seen as a joke/prank. (Don't get me wrong, I enjoy pranks, just not the kind that injures people.)

I'm surprised these drive-thru places don't have video cameras near the windows.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users