9 replies to this topic

#1 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:24 PM

I am just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for college planning services in the area?  I know that the College Planning Center in Palladio is close by and I have checked them out already in terms of cost, etc. Has anyone used their services?  We are looking mostly for help with applying and choosing a college but likely will also need test prep as well.

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions in the area?  We are willing to travel but would prefer to stay closer to Folsom (EDH, Granite Bay, etc.).

#2 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:55 PM

Very expensive to go that way.......  I would not touch those services unless you are rolling in cash to burn.  It takes time but do it yourself, more importantly, let your kid carry the heavy load and do it mostly on their own, they will be better off for it.  Keep really good records, a file dedicated to it, you'll have to jump through a lot of hoops and it will be frustrating but you will learn as you go.  Once they are in college check their account weekly so you don't get surprised with that $3267 due tomorrow....!   They set up the accounts (the college) in a way that there are two user names and two passwords for the same account. One for you to check on things and pay stuff and the other for the student to do all they need to do, health center, books, grades, sign up for classes, etc.    The above I learned sending one off to Chico State.  Working on the youngest now who's going off to university out of state this August and dealing with "FASFA", the government loan site.....  Talk about frustrating and jumping through hoops....! Kinda like doing your taxes, endless forms that you really don't understand....  All on the computer though so that's a plus.  Have your most recent taxes, 2015 handy and organized, you will need them for any loans. Regards, Chris

p.s. I learned you can pay tuition on a credit card if you are stuck without funds, just costs you like $80 more for the "convenience".... ;)

1A - 2A = -1A

#3 ambrno33

ambrno33

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:48 AM

I've never understood why you would need someone to help you decide where you want to go to college. Did you ask your kid? Have him pick a couple he's interested in, and then save your money from the "help" and go visit them this summer. The paperwork is all online, you just need to look.
Also I'm a believer that it doesn't matter where you go, as long as you work hard and make connections. You can make it a lot further in life if you can learn how to deal with people and make decisions, might as well start with college!

#4 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:48 AM

I guess I was not clear. I was not asking if we should use a college planning service. I was asking if anyone has a recommendation of one that they have used.

#5 SCA

SCA

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

I've never used a college planning service but I have a friend who owns one. He's a high school counselor and former collegiate baseball coach, not to mention a great guy. Here's his website. http://www.collegeprepcoaches.com

#6 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:13 AM

I've never used a college planning service but I have a friend who owns one. He's a high school counselor and former collegiate baseball coach, not to mention a great guy. Here's his website. http://www.collegeprepcoaches.com

Thank you so much! I will check out his services!

#7 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:52 AM

If your student is an athlete, I have someone on the east coast who is very good, lots of contacts with midwest and east coast schools.  PM me.

#8 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

My Son is a senior at a non California University and attended the Folsom Schools.

Agree with all the above feedback with letting your Son or Daughter carry most of the load.   The Folsom high schools the junior and senior years have practice ACT/SAT test which you can gauge how well your child is along and get ready for the final test.    You can also visit the universities your student is interested in and check out the neighborhoods, housing, school facilities, etc.    Our family did this during vacation times while our Son was still in high school.

Highly recommend parents focus on getting the financial planning in order well before the student departs for the University.    This is the area where the parent participation is critical for the student.

#9 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:43 PM

My Son is a Senior at a non California University and attended the Folsom Schools.

Agree with all the above feedback with letting your Son or Daughter carry most of the load.   The Folsom high schools the Junior and Senior years have practice ACT/SAT test which you can gauge how well your child is along and get ready for the final test.    You can also visit the universities your student is interested in and check out the neighborhoods, housing, school facilities, etc.    Our family did this during vacation times while our Son was still in high school.

Highly recommend parents focus on getting the financial planning in order well before the student departs for the University.    This is the area where the parent participation is critical for the student.

Read that as "mandatory" not just critical.

#10 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:15 AM

I'm confused too. I have two kids that have been off at college for a few years now. I didn't do any formal planning. Apply, submit deposit, buy airline tickets, pay money.

-Robert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users