#1 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

http://www.sacbee.co...ee-hens-in.html

Sacramento now allows you to raise up to three hens in your backyard for food. Of course, in typical government fashion, you have to pay them for the privilege. Not that I am a fan of having chickens in my neighborhood, but I am even less of a fan of the government sticking their grubby little hands in the pot for no good reason.

Would you support a measure like this in Folsom?
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#2 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

You can already keep chickens in Folsom. It's the law. Up to 2.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#3 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:45 AM

http://www.sacbee.co...ee-hens-in.html

Sacramento now allows you to raise up to three hens in your backyard for food. Of course, in typical government fashion, you have to pay them for the privilege. Not that I am a fan of having chickens in my neighborhood, but I am even less of a fan of the government sticking their grubby little hands in the pot for no good reason.

Would you support a measure like this in Folsom?

Why you no likey the chickens?

#4 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:48 AM

Hmm, I might need to build a chicken coop.

Does Folsom also allow you to slaughter the chickens?
I think Sacramento specifically forbid killing the birds for food, so you can only use them for egg laying.
Where have all the flowers gone?
Posted Image

#5 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:00 AM

Hmm, I might need to build a chicken coop.

Does Folsom also allow you to slaughter the chickens?
I think Sacramento specifically forbid killing the birds for food, so you can only use them for egg laying.

Folsom doesn't specify. there have been chickens in Folsom as long as there has been a Folsom. of course, the same can be said for Sacramento. people didn't keep them just for eggs.

#6 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

Wow! I didn't know that! Look at old progressive Folsom. ;)

I've got country folk in my family and have spent plenty of time on farms. I'm not a big fan of the noise and smell. Hell, I don't really care for neighbors with outside dogs or out of control kids, either. ;)

I'm not against it to the point that I would try to stop it, but I would take it into consideration when looking for a place to live and wouldn't be happy if farm life popped-up next to me after the fact. Unless they want to give me some free eggs to keep me content. :)
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#7 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:01 AM

We have a neighbor ( not sure exactly which one ) 2 or three houses down that keep a couple of chickens as I can hear them in the morning violating the noise ordinance (see walkers topic) :D: - they originally had roosters which they thankfully got rid of ( or their next door neighbors did :shoot: ).

The thing I do not understand about the SACs new law is that you cannot kill them for food. How would they know and who cares ?

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#8 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:20 AM

A question for the mod that moved this to the "Sacramento" area. The topic was whether people would support this in Folsom, making it a discussion about Folsom with Sacramento being the example. I'm just wondering why it should be in the Sacramento area?

Not that I really care or think it matters since I'm guessing almost everyone just uses the "New Posts/Content" links. I'm just curious as to how the deranged mind of a moderator works :)

#9 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:31 AM

I wonder how enforcable the rules are that accompnay ordinanceslike this? I'm assuming some are easier than others. Example, I was touring some property and viewed a 4plex. The tenants had chickens running around and right there was the chopping block and ax.

#10 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:38 AM

I raised chickens at my last house in Ojai, had 8 of them, built a nice coop and all, it was a lot of fun. Really enjoyed the fresh eggs daily, so did my neighbors. I had a 1/3 acre so there was a lot more room to raise them, I couldn't do it here, but wish I could.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#11 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:06 PM

I raised chickens at my last house in Ojai, had 8 of them, built a nice coop and all, it was a lot of fun. Really enjoyed the fresh eggs daily, so did my neighbors. I had a 1/3 acre so there was a lot more room to raise them, I couldn't do it here, but wish I could.

that's cool, Dave! I used to work with a sheep rancher who lived in a multi-thousand acre ranch in the Sutter Buttes. They had about 45 chickens and every time I went over to visit, he would load me up with at least five dozen eggs. those were the most wonderful eggs I have ever had. the whites were clear and the yolks were golden. I'd like to get a couple of laying hens, but I worry about them attracting unfriendly wild life.

#12 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

I like chickens, they taste good

#13 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:22 AM

what are the folsom rules about geese....when I was little I was really taken about the story about the goose that laid the golden egg, and was disappointed to learn it was just a story.. in these financial times such a goose would be nice to have

#14 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:21 PM

Dipped in buttermilk. through a mix of flour and breading and then fried...delicious! :letseat:

#15 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:41 PM

what are the folsom rules about geese....when I was little I was really taken about the story about the goose that laid the golden egg, and was disappointed to learn it was just a story.. in these financial times such a goose would be nice to have

Geese are fine. I know people who have them as pets without issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users