Photo

Just Ride: A Radically Practical Guide...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

I'm curious if anyone is reading / has read this book by the guy who started Rivendell Bikes. He advocates an "Unracer" approach to cycling. No spandex, steel frames, flat pedals, baskets and fenders, etc. The idea being that you shouldn't feel like it's a big production to get on the bicycle and ride it a couple miles to the store. It's a bit of a manifesto and contains tips and viewpoints on things as diverse as diet, maintenance, and safety.

So far about the only issue I take with the content is his views on helmet use - he advocates part-time use, for hypothetically more dangerous rides. I'm a believer in safety systems and can't see a good reason to ever not wear one.

Like any manifesto, he's insulting to those not following his credo - he calls the Tour de France the BORAF (Big Old Race Around France) and anyone in a car is automatically promoted to "cell-phoning drunk in an Escalade". But still he's not quite as strident about it. He wants converts, not enemies.

I wasn't cycling this spring due to a health issue but now it seems like I'm running out of excuses. This is making me think about remodeling my 10yo mtb a little more thoroughly than just the slick tires it has now - give it flat pedals and a milk crate, at least.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#2 andy

andy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

I do both...I take my road cycling seriously and I enjoy the gear, gadgets, and cycling wear. At the same time, I have a second bike that I ride to the store or around the neighborhood for transportation; I wear normal clothes and never put on a helmet when I'm on it. But that's just me. I would really recommend the dual bike approach - it really does allow you more comfort in different environments.

I think it's stupid to mock people who enjoy something enough to invest time and effort into the pursuit. Do what you like to do and let others do the same.

#3 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

I'm curious if anyone is reading / has read this book by the guy who started Rivendell Bikes. He advocates an "Unracer" approach to cycling. No spandex, steel frames, flat pedals, baskets and fenders, etc. The idea being that you shouldn't feel like it's a big production to get on the bicycle and ride it a couple miles to the store. It's a bit of a manifesto and contains tips and viewpoints on things as diverse as diet, maintenance, and safety.

So far about the only issue I take with the content is his views on helmet use - he advocates part-time use, for hypothetically more dangerous rides. I'm a believer in safety systems and can't see a good reason to ever not wear one.

Like any manifesto, he's insulting to those not following his credo - he calls the Tour de France the BORAF (Big Old Race Around France) and anyone in a car is automatically promoted to "cell-phoning drunk in an Escalade". But still he's not quite as strident about it. He wants converts, not enemies.

I wasn't cycling this spring due to a health issue but now it seems like I'm running out of excuses. This is making me think about remodeling my 10yo mtb a little more thoroughly than just the slick tires it has now - give it flat pedals and a milk crate, at least.

Great post dude! I've always thought it was too much to dress up in tights and clamp on shoes just to ride the ol' bike around for a while, I don't wanna race and play pretend biker, I just wanna get outside and ride and enjoy some fun in the sun. But Ive been afraid too because I thought the hardcore lance armstrong dudes would harsh my mellow with their mockery of my low cost bike and cut off shorts.

#4 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

Great post dude! I've always thought it was too much to dress up in tights and clamp on shoes just to ride the ol' bike around for a while, I don't wanna race and play pretend biker, I just wanna get outside and ride and enjoy some fun in the sun. But Ive been afraid too because I thought the hardcore lance armstrong dudes would harsh my mellow with their mockery of my low cost bike and cut off shorts.

I'm looking at my bike (a not too special Specialized hard-tail) and I'm a little surprised to see it has things you don't think of for mountain bikes. The sprung fork has every lug needed, and enough clearance, for traditional fender and rack. How often do you see a MTB with a front fender?

I rode it in to work today and evaluated it against the book.
  • The handlebar is too low and forward. I tried to fix that years ago but the cables came up short. I didn't want to re-string them all, and gave up. I will try it again. I've been messing with cables quite a lot since then on my motorcycles and they're a lot lighter on a bicycle.
  • The gearing is too low. It wasn't always, but I switched from 2.25" knobbies to 1.5" road tires and the added efficiency means I'm usually riding the top of the middle sprocket. I can still get the gear I need and so I'm going to let it be.
  • I have toe clips with no straps, and the original fairly sharp pedals. I ride this way to keep my foot positioned. I think I could keep the clips and switch the pedals for flat ones and be happier.
  • I need a rack, basket, bag, something. I don't like using the Camel backpack, it's sweaty and awkward to wear a backpack on a bike. I'd already given up on it for water, but I need cargo capacity.
  • I don't see any need for fenders around here, at least for 9 months out of the year. I'll think about it later when it rains again.
  • The saddle is fine.
  • Maybe I ought to get a bell.

"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

#5 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

Ditto. The "serious" bikers on the road can be somewhat intimidating to the more recreationally minded.

#6 andy

andy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

I'm looking at my bike (a not too special Specialized hard-tail) and I'm a little surprised to see it has things you don't think of for mountain bikes. The sprung fork has every lug needed, and enough clearance, for traditional fender and rack. How often do you see a MTB with a front fender?

I rode it in to work today and evaluated it against the book.

• The handlebar is too low and forward. I tried to fix that years ago but the cables came up short. I didn't want to re-string them all, and gave up. I will try it again. I've been messing with cables quite a lot since then on my motorcycles and they're a lot lighter on a bicycle.
  • The gearing is too low. It wasn't always, but I switched from 2.25" knobbies to 1.5" road tires and the added efficiency means I'm usually riding the top of the middle sprocket. I can still get the gear I need and so I'm going to let it be.
  • I have toe clips with no straps, and the original fairly sharp pedals. I ride this way to keep my foot positioned. I think I could keep the clips and switch the pedals for flat ones and be happier.
  • I need a rack, basket, bag, something. I don't like using the Camel backpack, it's sweaty and awkward to wear a backpack on a bike. I'd already given up on it for water, but I need cargo capacity.
  • I don't see any need for fenders around here, at least for 9 months out of the year. I'll think about it later when it rains again.
  • The saddle is fine.
  • Maybe I ought to get a bell.

This is why I really advocate the second bike for anyone who commutes. I've got the same mountain bike you do and I don't see how commuting on it could possibly be comfortable long-term. A good commuter will have you more upright with 700cm tires (much better than 26 inch) - you'll go faster with far less effort and a lot more control. Mountain bikes are designed to be deliberately squirrely, allowing you to be more nimble but less stable. And you definitely want fenders year-round...sprinklers runoff is surprisingly common around folsom and will muddy your clothes.

You can get a good commuter for a couple hundred used - Elektra's are pretty cheap new. Or check out the Linus line if you are willing to spend $500-$800 for a shiny new bike with retro styling. And most dealers will throw in a bell

#7 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

I have a 1970's Paramount (Dad bought new!) that will probably get the treatment. This is just to eke out what I've got.

#8 Homer

Homer

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

I converted my mountain bike for road use by getting a second set of wheels with 26x1.25 road tires and a set of low profile bmx platform pedals. It made a huge differance, Alot faster and more stable on the road especially going around turns. REI has a nice rack that attaches to the seat post and doubles as a rear fender.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users