7 replies to this topic

#1 Mays

Mays

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:15 PM

Wondering if anyone had any information regarding cabinet hinges for a John Laing home. A kitchen cabinet hinge broke and now I am having trouble finding a replacement hinge. Checked Lowes, Home Depot, OSH, the web... no one has one that matches. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

#2 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (Mays @ Apr 11 2010, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wondering if anyone had any information regarding cabinet hinges for a John Laing home. A kitchen cabinet hinge broke and now I am having trouble finding a replacement hinge. Checked Lowes, Home Depot, OSH, the web... no one has one that matches. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Can you post a picture? I have a several catalogs that might have what you need.

Thanks

Jeff

When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#3 Mays

Mays

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (SunshineServices @ Apr 11 2010, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you post a picture? I have a several catalogs that might have what you need.

Thanks

Jeff

On the side of the hinge are the numbers, H3JQ... I tried uploading the picture, but the file was too big. What's the best way to get you the picture? Thanks for the help!

#4 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (Mays @ Apr 16 2010, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the side of the hinge are the numbers, H3JQ... I tried uploading the picture, but the file was too big. What's the best way to get you the picture? Thanks for the help!

Just email to me at jeff@sunshineservices.biz

thanks

jeff

When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#5 headshrink

headshrink

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:41 AM

Hi Mike. I don't know if you still need to reduce the photo sizes, but for reference I'll briefly list the steps in Adobe Photoshop (I have CS2, but it should be the same or similar in other versions or in Photoshop Elements). My morning coffee is starting to kick in, so hold on!

-Open image in Photoshop
-Select 'Image' from the menu bar and pull-down to 'Image Size.'
-Here you can type in the dimensions you want.
(It is best to have the 'Scale Styles' & 'Constrain Proportions' boxes checked to retain the aspect ratio - I think that is the proper terminology.)
- Don't forget to save it as a Jpeg

In my limited experience, a lot of forums set the maximum size around 800x600-ish, but this really can vary....not sure about this board.

EDIT: I just did a little poking around on my PC in case you don't have photoshop.... You can use MS Paint (comes with your MS operating system, unless you use Apple).
In MS Paint (usually filed under Accessories in your Programs menu), you can do the following:
-Open original picture in MS Paint
-Select 'Image' from the menu bar & pull-down to 'Resize/Skew' (or Ctrl+W)
-Change the percentages in the horizontal and vertical boxes (they need to be the same to maintain aspect ratio).
- Save image

You don't have as much control this way, but it should do for MOST applications.

You shouldn't have any problems, but if you need a hand let me know..... if you can figure out who I am. Hint: Our friends frequently mistake your house for ours wink.gif

#6 purefct

purefct

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

I also have cabinet hinges at my house which are breaking, and they have "4C6A" on the hinge and "H3JQ" on the mounting plate. My hinge is fine, it's the mounting plates which are breaking, I think about 5 plates since I bought the house new 8 years ago.

At first I walked into Home Depot and bought the same exact item, but last ime and now this week they no longer carry what I need. Last time I bought a shorter set which worked just fine.

So to start, this site shows the original hinge
http://www.hardwares...nges and Plates
- Euro Hinge and Mounting Plate
- Face Frame Overlay (as opposed to frameless, determines if the hinge mounts to the wall of the cabinet or the face/frame of the cabinet, in this case it mounts to the face/frame of the cabinet)
- 110 Degree (the amount the door will open, 90 degree is perpendicluar to the cabinet so 110 is slightly more "open"
- Please note this page shows three Mounting Plate options. My doors have an overlay of 1/2" on a door in which the bore distance is 2 to 3 millimeters so I would need the 3 mm Mounting Plate. "Overlay" is the amount to which the door overlaps the cabinet, or if the cabinet opening is 18" wide then the door is 19" wide - it is a half inch wider than the opening on each side. "Bore Distance" is the distance from the edge of the door to the edge of the 1-3/8" cup that is drilled in the back of the door, 3 milimeters is about 1/8" so with my poor eyes and not enough light it took me a bit to figure out if the distance between the hinge's cup in the door and the edge of the door was 3 mm or 6 mm. If I had removed the hinge from the door (I only removed it from the frame) I might have been able to figure it out faster!

But at Home Depot I couldn't buy the same hinge. This week I walked into Home Depot and bought the wrong part which I thought looked like my original part and the mounting place was wrong, I had forgotten I had to buy the shorter part. I haven't walked back into HD since I'm going to order only the Mounting Plate from the first website I listed (I'm going to buy six of the plates since it's just the plates which are breaking) but on the HD website there are two hinges which should work:
- Liberty Model# 79612 Internet# 100149058 Store SKU# (missing) $5.49/pair Nickel Plated 35 mm European 110 Degree Full Inset, this should be a perfect match
- Liberty Model# H811SMC-NP-C5 Internet# 100147531 Store SKU# 790991 $6.99/pair Nickel Plated 35 mm Euro 100 Degree Face Frame 5/8 In. Hinge, This is what I bought the last time but the 100 deg will not allow the door to open as much.

#7 headshrink

headshrink

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

My bro-in-law, who is a carpenter in the UK, took a look at these hinges when he was over. He was surprised we were having such difficulty finding replacements, because they are more common than dirt over there. He found the following equivalent replacement hinge: http://www.rockler.c...ce frame hinges

However, in looking at the link from the post above mine, Rockler may be a bit more expensive. They are also 100 degree, instead of 110 degree, so I would expect Rockler would be a backup source, but now there are at least two sources. :)

EDIT: Correction: after looking a bit closer, these two sources are a lot closer in price than I realized. Rockler is selling complete hinges in pairs, whereas Harwaresource is selling separaterate hinge components in single units.

#8 25or6to4

25or6to4

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

My bro-in-law, who is a carpenter in the UK, took a look at these hinges when he was over. He was surprised we were having such difficulty finding replacements, because they are more common than dirt over there. He found the following equivalent replacement hinge: http://www.rockler.c...ce frame hinges

However, in looking at the link from the post above mine, Rockler may be a bit more expensive. They are also 100 degree, instead of 110 degree, so I would expect Rockler would be a backup source, but now there are at least two sources. :)

EDIT: Correction: after looking a bit closer, these two sources are a lot closer in price than I realized. Rockler is selling complete hinges in pairs, whereas Harwaresource is selling separaterate hinge components in single units.

Beat me to it, I was going to recommend trying Rockler, it's where I buy most of my cabinet supplies for remodeling and building new custom made things like an armoire.
"And the Wind cries Mary"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users