Photo
- - - - -

Quiet Deserted Road For Teen With Learner's Permit?

Deserted roads Learning to Drive New driver

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Chameleon

Blue Chameleon

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

I am brand new to Folsom. My 17.5 year old is just now getting his learner's permit to drive. Are there any recommendations for roads in the Folsom and/ or EDH area where I can take him to start learning ? This will be after I take him to a parking lot with not many cars around to show him the basics.

I am looking for roads with little to no traffic that isn't real curvy.

Thanks!

#2 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:28 AM

Welcome to Folsom! I have been racking my brain and can't think of great places off hand, butif you went into most business parks on a weekend or after work, you should get nice wide roads and very little traffic. How about on Blue Ravine west of Folsom Blvd. like over behind Dos Coyotes and all that area back there. And happy fourth of July!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#3 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

You may have to travel a bit, but I remember my Dad taking me to new housing developments (under construction or unsold) to practice driving.  It was an ideal situation for me.  Low speed limit, lots of intersections, culs-de-sac and parallel parking oppourtunities, with little to no traffic.

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

You may have to travel a bit, but I remember my Dad taking me to new housing developments (under construction or unsold) to practice driving.  It was an ideal situation for me.  Low speed limit, lots of intersections, culs-de-sac and parallel parking oppourtunities, with little to no traffic.

But you have to watch out for nails.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#5 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

Can someone who has been through it provide step-by-step instructions for how a kid gets a driver's license? When we looked on line, we saw references to "driver's ed" and "driver's training" (2 separate things?) and were pretty much flummoxed.

My daughter will turn 15 1/2 in 2 months... what steps do we take??

Thank you for any advice!

#6 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

Can someone who has been through it provide step-by-step instructions for how a kid gets a driver's license? When we looked on line, we saw references to "driver's ed" and "driver's training" (2 separate things?) and were pretty much flummoxed.

My daughter will turn 15 1/2 in 2 months... what steps do we take??

Thank you for any advice!

Driver's Ed is classroom work. I took it as a sophmore at my public highschool. Driver's training is behind-the-wheel experience through a private driving school (not mom and pop teaching their child).  When I was a teen, lots of people couldn't afford the driver's training classes, and had to wait until they turned 18 to get a driver's license. 

Sorry I can't give details about the proper steps to take today, but that's the gist of it.

#7 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

As the above post states, drivers ed can be taken at the high school.  

It can also be taken online through a driving school.  When the course is completed, the online driving school issues a Certificate of Completion of Non-Classroom Driver Education. This is required to take the test for a driving permit at the DMV.   You can look on the DMV Web site for what ID is required and how much the fee is to take the test.

After passing the test at the DMV, they issue a provisional driver permit.  It is then that actual in-the-car lessons can begin.  They space the lessons out and ask parents to practice with the students for so many hours between each lesson.

A lot of the driving schools give package deals for both online coursework and the driving lessons, some even offer extras like manual transmission and driving downtown on one-way streets.  Personally, I'd look for one that offers one-on-one instruction.

Good luck with your soon-to-be motorist.

#8 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

Thank you for this information.

Eeeeekkk!!

#9 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

I hear a lot of people saying their teens aren't anxious to learn to drive or to get drivers' licenses.  Is this true?  I remember when kids couldn't wait to get their permits.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#10 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

Maybe some of those graphic "texting and driving" PSA's are starting to sink in.

#11 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

I hear a lot of people saying their teens aren't anxious to learn to drive or to get drivers' licenses.  Is this true?  I remember when kids couldn't wait to get their permits.

That was also when parents weren't personal chauffeurs and driving was a way to temporarily cut the apron strings for a little bit.

My daughter, 13, recently she said she didn't really care because I could just drive her around and, if she had her license, then I was just going to ask her to run errands. I told her darn right she was going to pitch in but that once she was old enough to drive, the first expectation will be that she drive herself where she needs to be and that she'll have to figure out who needs the car then, whether it be me, her, or her brother who is 17 months younger. She sighed and said, "Nah, it'd just be easier for you to drive me." My response, "No, it'd be easier for you to ride your bike. So plan on that rather than me being your chauffeur."

Our kids are used to us planning our whole lives around them and their activities, why wouldn't they think we'd stop? Things are a lot different now. Parents aren't to be minded, they are to be at their kids beck and call.

#12 slowthegrowth

slowthegrowth

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Payen Road off white rock between Scott and Latrobe is a great, straight and extremely quiet back road that you can use for practice.

#13 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

There is a road at glen light rail. short but very wide and perfect on weekends for drivers training. the parking lot is deserted on weekends, too. you have access to lessons about bikes, train stops, types of parking in lots and on streets and how to safely enter traffic and make r or l turns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users