11 replies to this topic

#1 sasilou

sasilou

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

Hi-I need to make steamed rice in a pot, dont have a rice cooker. I bought some " Calrose" white bag w/red rose, followed the directions but it was so sticky and gummy... Saw other rice but some said long grain, med grain, extra fancy, enriched", all I need is to make the rice like we get at a chinese food restaurant...I would call them to ask the one they use but they arent open.... pls give me a name of something I can get at Belair, not one I have to drive to a asian store to purchase...thank you for your help...

#2 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

My experience with rice is if you rinse it before cooking it will be less sticky. My understanding is rinsing helps remove some of the starch.

#3 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

Certain types of rice is naturally "sticky rice" when you make it. That rice is perfect for rice balls and Sushi.

If you just want steamed white rice then go with Uncle Bens rice. You can get it microwavable you add water in a bag- add it to a pot in pre measured amounts and cook with a timer - or precooked in a bag and microwave with the bag sliced open.

Long grain rices tend to cook for a little longer time, and are less starchy.
Wild grain rices look like they are cooking in dirty water.

My favorite "premixed" rices are made by Texmati. They have accurate directions for cooking on the bottles. The plastic bottles come in two sizes. Small and Very big. A small bottle is one serving for each of my family of three, when other items are added to the plate ( veggie, bread, fruit ).

#4 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

Rinse the rice by putting it in a saucepan with a lot of water and swirling it, letting it settle, pour off the water, repeat 4 times.

Boil in excess water, like pasta. Once it turns from clear to white, keep testing it. Pull it off when it's not quite done enough. If it gets soupy add more water.

Strain off the water. Put the rice back in the pot and cover, run it on super low heat for 5 minutes.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#5 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

Also - like many things the less processed it is, the better it is for you. Long grain brown basmati rice has the lowest glycemic load. I love those boil in a bag things for convenience, but I can't have much white rice without feeling terrible.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#6 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Try long grain / jasmine rice. Tends to be light, flaky (not sticky). But I don't know what they sell at Bel Air and such.

#7 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

Calrose is specifically a sticky rice. I prefer brown rice, but when I cook white I use Jasmine or Basmati. Try the Jasmine; I like the Mahatma brand.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#8 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

Try long grain / jasmine rice. Tends to be light, flaky (not sticky). But I don't know what they sell at Bel Air and such.

Im gonna try Jasmine, we like flaky....Ive seen it at belair

Certain types of rice is naturally "sticky rice" when you make it. That rice is perfect for rice balls and Sushi.

If you just want steamed white rice then go with Uncle Bens rice. You can get it microwavable you add water in a bag- add it to a pot in pre measured amounts and cook with a timer - or precooked in a bag and microwave with the bag sliced open.

Long grain rices tend to cook for a little longer time, and are less starchy.
Wild grain rices look like they are cooking in dirty water.

My favorite "premixed" rices are made by Texmati. They have accurate directions for cooking on the bottles. The plastic bottles come in two sizes. Small and Very big. A small bottle is one serving for each of my family of three, when other items are added to the plate ( veggie, bread, fruit ).

I bought a box of the microwave for my girl who likes to cook, but we found that the rice had absolutely no flavor, I tried to put salt in the water and butter but it was still bland, even with soy sauce, but love that my daughter can cook it herself in the wave....

#9 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

Or you can be lazy like me and just buy a steamer. Perfect rice every time. And you can do veggies as well.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#10 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Or you can be lazy like me and just buy a steamer. Perfect rice every time. And you can do veggies as well.

I use a steamer as well and love it. But Calrose is still a stickier rice.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#11 25or6to4

25or6to4

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

I'm surprised no one said it yet.

And whatever you do, "DO NOT STIR THE RICE WHILE COOKING"

BTW, I agree with the comments about rinsing the rice first and that long grain rice is less sticky and more flaky than medium grain rice.

sticky rice is for eating with chopsticks.
"And the Wind cries Mary"

#12 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

Jasmine rice is not sticky. You can get it at all stores including TJ's, raley's and Bel Air.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users