Guns mass shooting

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#211 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

I guess a 20 foot electrified fence around all schools, one entrance with metal detectors and a couple
of armed guards. Now where do we get the millions of dollars to do it. Then we can't stop with schools,
we will need to do it at colleges, churches, etc.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#212 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

I guess a 20 foot electrified fence around all schools, one entrance with metal detectors and a couple
of armed guards. Now where do we get the millions of dollars to do it. Then we can't stop with schools,
we will need to do it at colleges, churches, etc.

dont forget you wil need to erect 30 foot high sandbag barriers on roads, streets and avenues and alleys to protect pedestrians on sidewalks

and 50 cal gunners enforcing traffic from the roof top

Posted Image

#213 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

Seems to me the lowest cost and most effective deterrent is to have a few willing staff attend state sponsored concealed carry classes. They would have to qualify on their weapon, and stay current with it. Just like arming pilots, you get qualified personnel that not only act as a deterrent because the insane guy would never know who was carrying and who wasn't AND if something actually did happen, there is immediate response to the situation. For those that are appalled by the idea, what is the difference between a policeman with a gun ( a trusted person who is qualified to carry) and a teacher with a gun (also a trusted person who could be qualified)?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#214 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

Seems to me the lowest cost and most effective deterrent is to have a few willing staff attend state sponsored concealed carry classes. They would have to qualify on their weapon, and stay current with it. Just like arming pilots, you get qualified personnel that not only act as a deterrent because the insane guy would never know who was carrying and who wasn't AND if something actually did happen, there is immediate response to the situation. For those that are appalled by the idea, what is the difference between a policeman with a gun ( a trusted person who is qualified to carry) and a teacher with a gun (also a trusted person who could be qualified)?

yeah.. I can really see that flying through the teacher unions... only able bodied may apply (lawsuit #1), Only mentally stable may apply (lawsuit #2), and what is the difference between a teacher and a cop with a gun? Are you serious? You don't think children wont forever be scarred by seeing their teacher draw a bead on someone, even if they don't actually shoot? Let's all be realistic and a little think about this with clear minds for a minute. Keep the cops jobs with cops and keep the teachers focused on teaching kids.

Am I ok with cops on campus in a protective and passive capacity? Sure. But I flat out don't what a bunch of them armed and clothed in ninja or swatt clothes walking around my kids school. I also do not want them actively interacting with the children. they need to be invisible, just like they are in real life. a uniform just floating down the hallway.

#215 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

yeah.. I can really see that flying through the teacher unions... only able bodied may apply (lawsuit #1), Only mentally stable may apply (lawsuit #2), and what is the difference between a teacher and a cop with a gun? Are you serious? You don't think children wont forever be scarred by seeing their teacher draw a bead on someone, even if they don't actually shoot? Let's all be realistic and a little think about this with clear minds for a minute. Keep the cops jobs with cops and keep the teachers focused on teaching kids.

Am I ok with cops on campus in a protective and passive capacity? Sure. But I flat out don't what a bunch of them armed and clothed in ninja or swatt clothes walking around my kids school. I also do not want them actively interacting with the children. they need to be invisible, just like they are in real life. a uniform just floating down the hallway.

I'd be just fine with the principal carrying a concealed weapon. In the time it takes the cops to get there it's too late. People need to change the way they think and be prepared for these odd ball situations.

And you say you're ok with a cop there but not the principal carrying a weapon? I'd rather have no cops and a subtle form of protection.

And if it all boils down to the teachers union then we might as well have a bunch of dolts like "the professor" making all the decisions since our input won't mean squat. And BTW, "the professor" has never once stated any solution to a problem, all he does is complain and fire off one liners. Teachers at their best!

#216 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

Actually, I'm not ok with principals being armed. If we make that distinction, how do we know the kids are safe or not a target when someone finds out the principal has a seminar or a board meeting or a contractors meeting to go to? Principals are not on campus all day, everyday. Also, when we start requiring or inviting teachers to become CCW qualified we are opening several pickle jars up. Like liability for negligent discharges. Or discrepancies in qualifications for employment based on a skill rather than teaching experience, administrative ability and butt kissing board members for school resources. I don't like the idea of any teacher carrying a weapon for a few reasons. One, timid students will have even more reasons to not approach a teacher when they need something. A teachers job is in the classroom. Someone else's job to protect that class. I honestly am not entirely ok with cops on campus full time. I would pull my kids out of school if I thought my kids are not safe unless a cop is there to protect them.
Two, as much as I am for firearm ownership, I am also a proponent of a firearm free campus.
Three, in the past year we have had more children permanently scarred by inappropriate sexual contact in California schools than all children dying by gunfire in the us. I really don't want to arm these pedophiles and give them license to carry a weapon on campus. ( ok- that sounds harsh- but there really are some crazy people out there that are attracted to kids- and we all know that to be true)
Finally, I don't ever want to see a situation where a student and teacher get into a confrontation about grades or performance and it turn into a situation where a teacher is over powered, loses control of the situation and we have a sandy hook part 2.

I'm sure we can find a a more passive and diligent manner to prevent firearms from entering schools. I just don't think bringing more firearms to schools is the right idea.

#217 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

I'm not fond of the idea of anyone caring guns on campus largely for the same reason I won't let my children go to homes where I know guns exist. Let teachers be teachers and let law enforcement officers be law enforcement officers. In areas where children are in danger, put an officer on duty.

All this talk doesn't really solve the problem with the mass shootings we've been seeing. We need first to address the mental health issues and society's preoccupation with death and violence.

I personally doubt that congress will actually pass any meaningful legislation addressing mental health and violence. Instead they'll restrict what types of guns you can purchase, maybe tax your bullets more, create more "no gun" zones, and the like, all while people continue to die at the hands of those who should not have access to weapons.

#218 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

I think the reasons people are choosing schools, and elementary schools at that, are because they are one of the more definite 'soft targets' out there. Nowadays there is always a chance a high schooler is packing be it from gang affiliations or just for the 'what ifs'. Pretty good chance that zero elementary schoolers on any given day. Yes, there are the isolated stories about a kid bringing a pistol to school, but in the deranged mind of a mass murderer, the elementary school has to be the choice. Why does it have to be known if a teacher has a CCW? Or a principal? If a teacher has a CCW, maybe the principal knows about it, and that's it. Confidential. Just like in general population, there are people that are able to obtain a CCW and perform if needed and then there are the 'gun nuts' that have never spent day one in any type of uniform but still find it appropriate to carry a 12ga, two stand-off rifles, and maybe a side-arm, 'just in case'. Times have changed. Gun free zones only work in the favor of the criminal. Mentality needs to change. Sadly.

#219 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Perhaps one should consider a teachers perspective, especially since these tragedies have happened at schools and universities.

1) Being a teacher / administrator is not mutually exclusive with gun proficiency.
2) Teachers and administrators have a right to protect themselves at/to/from work just like the rest of the population, especially in the absence of other enforcement.

Should we encourage a teacher to carry / use a weapon? No, it's a personal choice to exercise this right. Should we prohibit their ability to protect themselves? No, they have a right to life just like any other person. Who are we to say that they shouldn't protect themselves? If one is not comfortable, home school or find another school that is more 'comfortable' in one's mind. That's is in the domain of one's rights. This prohibition: One's comfort should not inhibit the safety of another.

#220 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

I admit that mental health issues need addressing....can you admit no civilian needs a f..king assault riffle!?!

What has you so bent up on banning an assault rifle? Can you please define exactly what an assault rifle is and how it is so bad that it needs to be banned? Please also clearly define how it is different than a deer hunting or ranch rifle that may commonly be owned by ranchers, hunters, sportsmen, recreational target shooters. Thanks

Actually this video may help you and others uncertain what an assault weapon is.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Guns, mass shooting

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users